Cast Iron Skillets

ChickenWyngz

Now that we've moved from the grilling and smoking season to the cold winter months, I am looking at investing in my first cast iron skillet.

What are some recommendations you have? Obviously when shopping them you can spend from 20 bucks up to about as much as you want?

Is there much difference in them besides price? What's some of the best things you make in your cast iron skillet? What's the best way to season it? Clean it?

I have many questions and will be going into this a novice when it comes to cooking on cast iron, so please give me any info you have!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing makes better cornbread than a well seasoned iron skillet.

Truth. Also outstanding for frying chicken... or anything really. I don't know how you pan-fry anything without a good cast iron. Pork chops, schnitzel... just fry anything in that bad guy.

I have a Lodge brand skillet and it's awesome. I've used one of the high-end, enamel-coated ones before but while they're super easy to clean and maintain, it's really not necessary unless you're going for style as well as function.

And now I'm really hungry and that salami sandwich in the office fridge just isn't going to cut it.

There's others that can speak more on it better than I can. Just realize that not all cast iron is created equally. The one great aunt Sally hands you down is probably going to be 10x better than a brand new one you can get. Part of that is the seasoning, but the other thing is the "orange peel" texture you'll find on a lot of the new stuff. Seems to me we had a thread on this in the past, and someone posted about having found an attachment they put on their drill or grinder to take that texture off. I'll see if I can find it.

I have had mine for over 55 years. I have three. A square, a chicken fryer and a smaller round. Do follow all directions in seasoning. That is the key to loving it. Do not ever, never ever, wash with dish soap. Easy clean up is maybe a soak for a while, maybe some hot water. Use salt to scour. Dry well. Maybe put back in a warm oven for a while after coating again with fat. Leaving it wet is a no no. Wipe with paper towel, not a white dish towel. Buy as good as you can afford. It can last forever.

Edited by Jaysie
Fat fingers

Last year the local Rural King had a set of Lodge cast iron cookware on sale. We bought them for our daughter and son-in-law. Not the most expensive brand by any means, but here's hoping that they take care of the stuff and get decades of use out of it.