Scott County Deputy Sheriff

Jumper_Dad

Scott County Deputy Jaime Morales (28) that was shot at a rest stop last week is 90 percent paraplegic, according to the Scott County Sheriff.

Deputy Morales was assisting US Marshals in the apprehension of a bank robbery suspect from Florida when he was shot. The suspect was shot and killed by other officers when they returned fire.

Deputy Morales is expected to be released this week and go to a spinal rehab center.

e799411c-f809-48e2-a86a-4a2c334c5262-Morales.jpg?width=534&height=712&fit=bounds&auto=webp

He's a former Marine and a certified court bilingual translator. By all accounts that I've read and heard, he is an outstanding young man.

There is no such thing as a former Marine, right?

Seriously, though, seeing this guy’s photo immediately put me in mind of one of my students who graduated back in 2016 and has been serving as a Marine ever since. Maybe that’s why I reacted so strongly to Deputy Morales’ photo.

I pray for his recovery, along with the safety of “Corporal Daily.”

There is no such thing as a former Marine, right?

Seriously, though, seeing this guy’s photo immediately put me in mind of one of my students who graduated back in 2016 and has been serving as a Marine ever since. Maybe that’s why I reacted so strongly to Deputy Morales’ photo.

I pray for his recovery, along with the safety of “Corporal Daily.”

True, I mispoke.

Yeah seeing how young he is and wearing a tan and black uniform like that, kinda got to me too. Our local Sheriff's Department wears a nearly identical uniform.