One and dones returning versus G League option

Oldercoach

Maybe I don't have a full handle on the G League, but can someone tell me the benefits of a marginal one and done staying for a second year versus taking the risk of making a G League roster. Would one develop better in a premier college program versus the G League? As I understand, mimimum contract of $75,000 in G League versus the 2nd year college experience. Just asking, cause I am suspecting a lot of non-draftable level players heading this direction versus returning for a 2nd/3rd year of college i.e. (Washington, Gabriel and maybe even Green). If immediate money and maximum development are the keys, I could see the G League as being pretty attractive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think players would get better coaching as a whole in college especially if they are at a top 50 or so program than in the G League. My take is that in the G League it's up to each player to make themselves better however they can and pretty much on their own as compared to the support they receive in college.

That said college isn't for everyone and the G League is an option for those kids.

What are your thoughts on Bazley as a player? I always enjoy your analysis.

Not a big fan. Ton of talent, but don't love his motor and he takes a TON of tough shots. You can get by on that in HS and AAU ball, but it becomes much tougher to be successful as you hit the highest levels. With that said, this is probably a good move. He'd likely be exposed quite a bit night in and night out in the ACC...

Not a big fan. Ton of talent, but don't love his motor and he takes a TON of tough shots. You can get by on that in HS and AAU ball, but it becomes much tougher to be successful as you hit the highest levels. With that said, this is probably a good move. He'd likely be exposed quite a bit night in and night out in the ACC...

I did see him play against New Albany on TV. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Every site and article I go to refers to a minimum salary of 75K and a max of $275K for a two- way contract player.

Bazley can't have a 2 way contract. That's a NBA deal, and he isn't going to be eligible to play in the NBA next year...

I honestly think players would get better coaching as a whole in college especially if they are at a top 50 or so program than in the G League. My take is that in the G League it's up to each player to make themselves better however they can and pretty much on their own as compared to the support they receive in college.

That said college isn't for everyone and the G League is an option for those kids.

Why do you think coaching is better in college particularly when preparing a player for the NBA?

He's very long and likes to float around the perimeter a bit. Funky looking shot. Decent ball skills for 6'8. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the G League for more than one year.