BluegrassPreps.com 10th Region Final Rankings 2-11-18, District Tournament Matchups

mcpapa

The regular season is history and the postseason starts tomorrow. Teams 1-5 all have the potential to win the region, team number 6 can do some damage but has a hard row to hoe just to get there. Here are the final rankings and a brief look at the district tournament matchups.

1. Clark County (26-4, 12-1 region). The Cardinals saw a 16-game win streak snapped in the last regular-season game, beating Frederick Douglass, then falling at short-handed Henry Clay in a game that saw Ryan Cooper join the 1,000-point club. They still have to be favored to get to Rupp Arena when the dust settles in the 10th. The Cardinals roster includes Will Philpot, recently selected as the 10th Region player of the year. It took a handful of games for the Cards to find their chemistry, but have gone 24-2 since mid-December.

2. Campbell County (23-5, 10-0 region). Campbell closed out the year 6-1, the only loss a head-scratcher at Simon Kenton. They are led by the reliable trio of Reid Jolly (18.2 PPG, 9.8 RPG), Tanner Clos (15.6 PPG, 40.7% 3-pt) and Joel Day (14.7 PPG, 89.7% FT). The Camels handed Clark County their only in-region loss of the season. and have to feel a bit snakebitten as a result of the last two regional tournament results.

3. Paris (21-6, 12-4 region). The Greyhounds are arguably the hottest team in the 10th entering the postseason, reeling off ten straight; including a 63-52 defeat of Pendleton County last week. Senior Eric Johnon led the way with 19; and Marcus Ashford had 27 in a big win at Tates Creek the next evening. Paris has 5 players averaging 4.5 RPG or better, but free-throw shooting is an issue, with no one on the squad at 70%.

4. Scott (20-8, 5-3 region). The Eagles finished the regular season on a sour note, falling to 9th region and state powerhouse Cooper 66-34. The good news was the return of Jaycob Pouncy earlier in the week after missing several games due to injury. Scott is a soph and junior-heavy team, relying on Pouncey and Nelson Perrin for senior leadership. Chad Ohmer leads the team in scoring at 15.7 PPG, and team shooting percentages of 48.9% (FG) and 72.4 (FT) are impressive.

5. Pendleton County (22-7, 14-4 region). Dontaie Allen scored 43 of the Cats' 53 in the loss to Paris, and is among the state leaders in points and rebounds (31.8, 11.1). Big man Adam Antrobus has missed the past several games due to injury; and the Wildcats need him back to help make a deep run in the postseason.

6. Bishop Brossart (15-11, 7-4 region). The Mustangs remain at number 6 this week, but are in the unenviable position of having to get through Scott just to reach the finals of the 37th. The 'stangs broke open a tight game against Mason County in the season finale to post an impressive 84-66 win behind Bryan Duffy and J.D Schumacher's 18 and 17. Zach Hamberg is 50% (73-146) from three-point land on the season.

Now we get to the rest of the region. Three of these squads will take the floor at The Fieldhouse for the regional tournament by default, but do any of them even have a puncher's chance to punch their ticket to Rupp?

7. Robertson County (20-9, 13-2 region). The Devils became the sixth 10th-region team to get to 20 wins last week, but there's a strong possibility that this will be the end of the road as they square off against Pendleton County in the district semis. Justin Becker, Ross Becker, Alex Schalch and Brandon Dice are all over 50% FG on the season, and the Pendleton matchup is intriguing.

8. Harrison County (10-19, 5-8 region). Harrison ended the season on a high note by defeating Montgomery County 62-58 at home, and faces Nicholas County on Tuesday in what should be an evenly-matched district opener. Quinton Turley and Spencer Free have been steady all year.

9. Montgomery County (13-15, 5-10 region). MoCo's balanced scoring attack is led by junior Myron Ralls at 14.2 PPG. As is the case with Paris, shooting (41.3% FG, 29.1% 3-PT, 60.2% FT) is problematic. They have a big task in the district opener against Paris.

10. Mason County (15-13, 5-7 region). The Royals ended the season on a 3-game skid and a couple of starters (not counting the two that were dismissed earlier in the season) are iffy. Jaylen Lofton is projected to play in the district opener, while big man Dalton Perkins (concussion) is not.

11. Bourbon County (10-19, 6-9 region). The Colonels have been wildly inconsistent all season. The showed their potential last week with a 36-point throttling of Harrison County, but that was their lone win in their last ten games.

12. Nicholas County (10-16, 6-9 region). The Jackets hit the century mark in their final game of the regular season against St. Patrick; Sam Hamilton blistering the nets with 41 points. Spencer Morris did not play, and his return is key to advance to the district finals.

13. Calvary Christian (18-11, 4-9 region). The Cougars' season finale was a 20-point loss at the hands of Bishop Brossart, and they will win one more game before facing Campbell County in the 37th district tournament.

14. St. Patrick (11-19, 3-9 region). With the return of Isaiah Garrison and Ben Swolsky, the Saints aren't having any trouble scoring - it's the defending, as surrendering 102 to Nicholas might indicate. The senior-laden Saints (four are in double-figures on the season) need to get by Bracken County to reach the regional tournament since 2009.

15. Augusta (12-14, 4-9 region). The very young Panthers (2 seniors, no juniors) would love to turn the tables on Mason County tomorrow night. Preston Philpot is at 40.7% (50-123) from distance.

16. Bracken County (4-23, 0-15 region). Coach Hinson's Polar Bears showed signs of life last week in a respectable loss to Robertson County and a double-digit home win over West Carter.

17. Silver Grove (2-23, 0-8 region). The Big Trains started the season with 12 straight losses and will likely finish the season in the same manner after their district play-in game against Calvary Christian.

Player of the week: Jordan Graham, Clark County; Sam Hamilton, Nicholas County and Eric Johnson, Paris.

Top ten players to watch during the district tournaments:

Dontaie Allen, Pendleton County. Mr everything has the best basketball talent I've seen in the 10th since Darius Miller. He needs a little more help from his mates in order for the Cats to represent the region in Lexington. 31.8 and 11.1 for the season.

Brennan Canada, Clark County. The versatile 6'7" swingman leads the Cardinals in scoring at 13.1 and is second in rebounds at 7.2. He is also second on the squad with 45 three-pointers made. A matchup nightmare.

Spencer Free, Harrison County. Free missed last year's regional tournament with an injury. Although not the Breds' leading scorer (that's Quenton Turley), Free paces the squad in rebounds and hits his charity tosses at a 79% clip. If it's tight near the end and free throws need to be made, Coach Kendall wants the ball in Spencer's hands.

Zach Hamberg, Bishop Brossart. The senior is 73 for 146 from beyond the arc, and shoots nearly 85% from the line. He will need to stay hot for the Mustangs to stay with Scott in the 37th semifinal game.

Sam Hamilton, Nicholas County. For the Jackets to get past Harrison County in the district opener, he may have to come close to repeating his 41-point explosion against St. Patrick - particularly if Spencer Morris isn't good to go. Hamilton converts over 51% of his shots.

Eric Johnson, Paris. The stat-stuffing senior guard leads the Greyhounds in scoring at 18.8, 3-pointers made at 49, made free throws at 83 and in rebounds at 6 per game.

Reid Jolly, Campbell County. The junior power forward is a workhorse in the paint, averaging over 18 points and nearly 10 boards per game; and has connected on 62.6% of his field goals. He had 30 and 18 against Clark County, handing the Cardinals their only loss in the 10th all season.

Brevin Jones, St. Patrick. Jones has been the scoring and rebounding mainstay for the Saints all year (16.5/7.0), and clicks on nearly 42% of his three-pointers.

Jaylen Lofton, Mason County. Lofton's health is critical to the Royal's chances in the postseason. At barely 6 feet, he leads Mason County in rebounds at 7.5 per game, and is second in scoring at 11.3.

Nelson Perrin, Scott. Perrin, a University of Dayton football commit, brings his gridiron mentality to the hardwood. 12.3 PPG, 46.8% FG percentage, including 40% from distance.

37th District at Campbell County

Calvary Christian - Silver Grove, 2/19, 7:30 PM. Calvary thumped the Trains by 53 and 67 in their two regular-season meetings. No reason to think this one will turn out much differently.

Calvary Christian - Campbell County, 2/21, 6:00 PM. Calvary ends the season at 19-12. Campbell won the first game 77-39, and should cruise in this one.

Scott - Bishop Brossart, 2/21, 7:30 PM. This has the makings of a decent game even given the 70-32 beatdown the Eagles put on the Mustangs in January. Scott wants to run, Brossart probably won't. Scott by a dozen.

Scott - Campbell County, 2/23, 7:00 PM. The Camels outscored Scott by 19 in their regular-season matchup after falling behind 15-3 early. This one should be a barn-burner; and I'll go with the Camels 74-68.

38th District at Pendleton County

Nicholas County - Harrison County, 2/20, 7:00 PM. Harrison County won the regular season game by a bucket way back in early December. Spencer Morris must play for Nicholas County to hang. If he doesn't, Harrison by double-digits. If he does, Harrison wins in a tight one. If not, the 'breds stretch it out in the fourth quarter to win by 12.

Pendleton County - Robertson County, 2/21, 7:00 PM. Can the Black Devils shock the region for a second time this season? Will Antrobus return to the lineup? Can anyone stop Dontaie Allen? I say Pendleton with or without their big man? The Wildcats won by 27 earlier this season and I don't have any reason to believe this one will be much different, even without Antrobus. Pendleton 75 Robertson 60.

Harrison County - Pendleton County, 2/23, 7:00 PM. Harrison showed much better in their regular-season rematch with the Wildcats, falling by 10 at home in late January. I look for a similar result in the district finals, with Harrison slowing the game down just a bit. Pendleton 68 Harrison 55.

39th District at Mason County

Mason County - Augusta, 2/19, 8:00 PM. Most of the followers of the 10th see a Mason County win even with the defections and the injuries that have plagued the Royals all season. If Lofton is a go and anywhere near 100%, Mason County should win comfortably. If not, things could get interesting. Mason County 70 Augusta 58.

St. Patrick - Augusta, 2/20, 8:00 PM. Bracken finally plays someone in the 39th other than Mason County. St. Patrick wants a track meet, Bracken probably wants to control tempo. With everybody healthy for the Saints, I see them taking this one by 16 behind Garrison, Jones and Swolsky. Party on Limestone Street as the Saints return to the regional tournament!

Mason County - St. Patrick, 2/22, 8:00 PM. Neither squad looks anything like they did when the Royals dominated the Saints in the season-opener. I say this one goes down to the wire. Mason County 74 St. Patrick 71.

40th District at Montgomery County

Clark County - Bourbon County, 2/20, 6:00 PM. Two Cards - Brennam Canada and Jordan Graham - are real threats from behind the arc to complement the inside presence of Philpot. The Cardinals won both regular-season games, by 35 and by 4 (one of Bourbon's best showings of the year. This one will fall somewhere in between, as the Cards behind Philpot, Canada and Graham cruise by 20.

Paris - Montgomery County, 2/20, 7:45 PM. Paris took the two earlier meetings by 18 and 17; and while this one will be closed in the raucous Montgomery County gym, I see Paris pulling away late as the one-two punch of Johnson and Ashford prevail by 8.

Clark County - Paris, 2/22, 7:00. Clark won both regular-season contests by 7. Clark 72 Paris 65, as Clark maintains their spotless district record.

Edited by mcpapa

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Papa. Can't believe post season is already here. Now is when the real season starts.

Hope to see all players back and healthy for a post season run. Also hope that all teams stay injury free.

Let play ball!!!! Man I love this time of year.

Hope we can get updates on all games.

Great job Papa. Can't believe post season is already here. Now is when the real season starts.

Hope to see all players back and healthy for a post season run. Also hope that all teams stay injury free.

Let play ball!!!! Man I love this time of year.

Hope we can get updates on all games.

Bracken County/Saint Patrick updates on twitter @brackencounty

Pendleton County - Robertson County, 2/21, 7:00 PM. Can the Black Devils shock the region for a second time this season? Will Antrobus return to the lineup? Can anyone stop Dontaie Allen? I say Pendleton with or without their big man? This will be the first meeting between the two squads (no seeding in the 38th), and I say Pendleton wins big.

Pendleton and Robertson played on January 2, with the Cats winning 88-61.

Pendleton County - Robertson County, 2/21, 7:00 PM. Can the Black Devils shock the region for a second time this season? Will Antrobus return to the lineup? Can anyone stop Dontaie Allen? I say Pendleton with or without their big man? This will be the first meeting between the two squads (no seeding in the 38th), and I say Pendleton wins big.

Pendleton and Robertson played on January 2, with the Cats winning 88-61.

You are correct.

My unpopular opinion, and where I differ from Papa, is that the 10th is a 2-horse race. It's GRC or Campbell.

Perhaps I will sing a different song when the bracket is formed, but that's how I see it.

Buy you see it there in the snow, lying there like a slug!

My unpopular opinion, and where I differ from Papa, is that the 10th is a 2-horse race. It's GRC or Campbell.

Perhaps I will sing a different song when the bracket is formed, but that's how I see it.

GRC is 4-1 against the top 5.

Campbell is 4-0.

Paris is 1-3.

Scott is 1-2.

Pendleton is 0-4.

GRC is 4-1 against the top 5.

Campbell is 4-0.

Paris is 1-3.

Scott is 1-2.

Pendleton is 0-4.

The only way I see a third team having a chance is for GRC and Campbell to find themselves in the same bracket. In that scenario, I could see Scott with a small chance to win the championship game.

The only way I see a third team having a chance is for GRC and Campbell to find themselves in the same bracket. In that scenario, I could see Scott with a small chance to win the championship game.

Another good point. I still refuse to say PC has no chance. Their losses to Papa's top four were by 4,7,11, and 4 respectively. Their two larger defeats were on the winner's home court. If Antrobus is back and any semblance of his best, then who knows.