Iloka Suspension Overturned

Put me down as one who didn't see anything wrong with Iloka's block on Burfict, except for the taunting and helmet to helmet (which I'm not sure there was). Otherwise, it's a good football play. JuJu blocked a would-be tackler. That seems to be pretty much in line with the game of football.

Put me down as one who didn't see anything wrong with Iloka's block on Burfict, except for the taunting and helmet to helmet (which I'm not sure there was). Otherwise, it's a good football play. JuJu blocked a would-be tackler. That seems to be pretty much in line with the game of football.

The old days of blindsiding somebody with a block are gone. A defender in that situation is treated exactly the same as a wide receiver who is defenseless going for the ball. That's the way it is looked at in football today. Blindside crackback blocks are illegal.

The old days of blindsiding somebody with a block are gone. A defender in that situation is treated exactly the same as a wide receiver who is defenseless going for the ball. That's the way it is looked at in football today. Blindside crackback blocks are illegal.
Yep I think it's hard for people to grasp that concept especially for coaches who have coached players to do exactly what JuJu did, but bottom line it's a dangerous play that is unnecessary and the league wants to eradicate.

My understanding is if not for the contact to Burfict's head the block would have been legal.

My understanding is if not for the contact to Burfict's head the block would have been legal.

I heard this discussed on one of the sports talk shows. You cannot do that block if you are blindsiding the defender. The defender has to be able to see you or you can do a shielding block with your hands but not a full-fledged hit with your shoulder pads. That's the way I heard it explained.

I heard this discussed on one of the sports talk shows. You cannot do that block if you are blindsiding the defender. The defender has to be able to see you or you can do a shielding block with your hands but not a full-fledged hit with your shoulder pads. That's the way I heard it explained.
They may have been arguing that but I don't think that's the rule. You can't cream some guy not involved in the play but Burfict was in a position to make a play on the RB and he has to be aware that he could be blocked. The block was boarder line.

You are entitled to your opinion. Juju did two things wrong. He made contact with the helmet and he taunted the player after the hit.

Without those two things, it is a good block. This was not a blindside block. Burfict did not see JuJu but that is Burfict's fault for not looking. JuJu was almost exactly parallel to Burfict on the field. They were both standing within a half yard of either side of the 50 yard line. It is Burfict's responsibility to know that an opposing player is side-by-side with him. JuJu hit him square in the front. They were facing each other square but Burfict's head was turned. JuJu was almost standing still. He did not run and explode into Burfict. He jogged a bit and put a little extra with his shoulder. He didn't launch himself. Burfict ran right into him. It wasn't a vicious hit. If Burfict turned his head for an instant he would have seen there was a player standing directly in his path.

The fact that Burfict did not see JuJu is entirely Burfict's fault. Without that block, Burfict makes the tackle. Good job Juju. Just make contact lower next time and don't stand over the guy and taunt him. I really can't fault him for the block.

Okay, I got the wrong guy here. I'm only addressing JuJu Smith-Schuster's hit on Burfict not George Iloka's hit. Wrong thread.

Your definition of exploding is different than mine. He put extra into it, but so what?

He drove into the would-be tackler with both feet. That's how players are taught to block. This is football. You're supposed to knock the guy down.

Edited by oldgrappler
to be kinder and gentler