Iloka Suspension Overturned

Your definition of exploding is different than mine. He put extra into it, but so what?

He drove into the would-be tackler with both feet. That's how players are taught to block. This is football. You're supposed to knock the guy down.

Kind of hard to tackle or block if you don't drive off both feet at least some.

I concur. I probably should've said it looked like Juju launched himself into Burfict. Much like Iloka launched into AB.
I don't think so. He was almost stopped before they hit. He definitely drove into him but again if he didn't Burfict would have likely just ran him over. I don't even think the helmet to helmet was all that. JuJu turned his head and Burfict's face mask got the side of JuJu's helmet. There's 20 times more helmet to helmet when a running back collides with a LB. The more I watch it the more I don't think he should have been suspended. No, he shouldn't have stood over him and that deserved a penalty but if you don't allow that block you might as well take out all open field blocks.

I don't think so. He was almost stopped before they hit. He definitely drove into him but again if he didn't Burfict would have likely just ran him over. I don't even think the helmet to helmet was all that. JuJu turned his head and Burfict's face mask got the side of JuJu's helmet. There's 20 times more helmet to helmet when a running back collides with a LB. The more I watch it the more I don't think he should have been suspended. No, he shouldn't have stood over him and that deserved a penalty but if you don't allow that block you might as well take out all open field blocks.

The NFL stated it was an illegal crack back block. Just like on a punt return or receiver coming down the line.

The NFL stated it was an illegal crack back block. Just like on a punt return or receiver coming down the line.

It said he was in violation of Rule 12, Section2, Article 7 which prohibits unnecessary contact against a player in a defenseless posture. How the hell can a LB in the middle of the field pursuing a ball carrier be in a defenseless posture.

You are entitled to your opinion. Juju did two things wrong. He made contact with the helmet and he taunted the player after the hit.

Without those two things, it is a good block. This was not a blindside block. Burfict did not see JuJu but that is Burfict's fault for not looking. JuJu was almost exactly parallel to Burfict on the field. They were both standing within a half yard of either side of the 50 yard line. It is Burfict's responsibility to know that an opposing player is side-by-side with him. JuJu hit him square in the front. They were facing each other square but Burfict's head was turned. JuJu was almost standing still. He did not run and explode into Burfict. He jogged a bit and put a little extra with his shoulder. He didn't launch himself. Burfict ran right into him. It wasn't a vicious hit. If Burfict turned his head for an instant he would have seen there was a player standing directly in his path.

The fact that Burfict did not see JuJu is entirely Burfict's fault. Without that block, Burfict makes the tackle. Good job Juju. Just make contact lower next time and don't stand over the guy and taunt him. I really can't fault him for the block.

Actually, the NFL is entitled to the opinion that matters here. Your rationale and thinking are that of an "old grappler." Even though the NFL celebrated people getting "jacked up" and "earholed" with videos and special highlight reels, those are no longer the rules. Moreover, it's moving farther and farther away from those rules each and every week.

Whether you think JuJu was right on the hit (everyone presumably agrees the taunting was wrong and likely why he was suspended) is kinda irrelevant. The guys that get to make the rules say it was illegal, he was flagged, he was suspended and is out some cash. Keep doing it and he'll get the reputation Burfict has and won't be able to sneeze the wrong direction without drawing 15 yds.

Don't have to like the way the NFL is going, but you can no longer argue that it wasn't an illegal play.

The NFL is over reacting and now penalizing guys for making run-of-the-mill football plays.

The people that will have the last word are the fans. If the fans are not entertained the NFL will fold. Not For Long league. That's what will happen if they continue down this road twards becoming the National Flag football League.

It sure is a shame that in an effort to address the danger of concussions ( a legitimate concern), they define a block like JuJu's as an illegal hit. I can see cracking down on helmet to helmet. I can see if they eliminate a peel back block away from the play. But this was right where the RB was headed and the WR just stood his ground and Burfict ran towards him. Open your eyes, Burfict! I agree 100% with @woodsrider's comments in post 21. The call was a crock.

The NFL is wrong in making that an illegal block. That is my opinion. And yes, I am old school.

The NFL is over reacting and now penalizing guys for making run-of-the-mill football plays.

The people that will have the last word are the fans. If the fans are not entertained the NFL will fold. Not For Long league. That's what will happen if they continue down this road twards becoming the National Flag football League.

It sure is a shame that in an effort to address the danger of concussions ( a legitimate concern), they define a block like JuJu's as an illegal hit. I can see cracking down on helmet to helmet. I can see if they eliminate a peel back block away from the play. But this was right where the RB was headed and the WR just stood his ground and Burfict ran towards him. Open your eyes, Burfict! I agree 100% with @woodsrider's comments in post 21. The call was a crock.

The NFL is wrong in making that an illegal block. That is my opinion. And yes, I am old school.

If his helmet doesn't hit him in the chin and under the facemask I would agree. You talk about cleaning up concussions. Well that hit will give a guy a concussion 9 out of 10 times by your helmet hitting a guy in the chin and bottom of facemask. Possibly also break a jaw and make their head whip back and be sure of whipping back and also hitting head on ground. That was an illegal hit in every sense of the word. Especially with the emphasis on trying to prevent concussions.

If his helmet doesn't hit him in the chin and under the facemask I would agree. You talk about cleaning up concussions. Well that hit will give a guy a concussion 9 out of 10 times by your helmet hitting a guy in the chin and bottom of facemask. Possibly also break a jaw and make their head whip back and be sure of whipping back and also hitting head on ground. That was an illegal hit in every sense of the word. Especially with the emphasis on trying to prevent concussions.

Then we agree because in the first post I made, and maybe every post except the last one, I stated that there were two things Ju Ju did wrong: 1) helmet to helmet; 2) standing over him and taunting him. But if he had hit him lower so that his helmet didn't contact Burfict's helmet and he didn't taunt him, then I think his hit is fine. I do not think it qualifies as a blindside, crack-back kind of block. It should not have been flagged as one.

So we agree, absent the two things I mentioned, it was a good block. Other people are saying it was an illegal hit on a defenseless player, etc. nonsense.