Going For 2 To Start A Running Clock - State Championship Edition

Is going for 2 to start a running clock in the state finals "classless"?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is going for 2 to start a running clock in the state finals "classless"?

• Yes, it's absolutely classless.
    • It isn't classless, but I wouldn't choose to do it.
    • No, it isn't classless.
    • Other (Please Explain In The Thread)

I saw in the 5A state championship update thread where someone said that Covington Catholic was "classless" after they went for a two-point conversion late in the third quarter in order to go up by 36 and start the running clock on Madison Southern.

Is that "classless"?

Is it adding insult to injury?

Is it a different story when it's done in the playoffs/state finals versus when it takes place during the regular season?

Is going for two in order to start the clock running ever an acceptable practice?

I think going for 2 is appropriate any time the coach that calls it thinks it is. I don't get caught up in all of the "etiquette" of this stuff. Just focus on your own team and let the other guy coach his team. If I can't control whether or not an opponent goes for 2, then I am not going to get worked up about it.

I personally think this is the dumbest thing in the world. The 36 point rule is there to help prevent blow outs when a team try’s to secure that they are being classy imo not classless. Besides this is big boy football not little league and each level of football is to prepare a player for the next. There is not running clock or mercy rule in college so at some point players need to be use to winning or losing by a larger margin. These are just my opinions I don’t feel like it is an issue if you had teams not going for it and beating people 100-0 those same people would complain about that there is just no winning with some people.

What's the difference?? So they go for one, then score another TD and get the running clock anyway. I'm not for staying on the gas, and rubbing the other teams nose in it. But going for two when up 34 points is a complete non issue. Is kicking the one that much better??

This question has been asked and answered so many times. All the more reason to go for 2 in the finals. Shortening the game is a wonderful strategy to help secure the win.

GO FOR 2!! START THE CLOCK!!

I agree.

If there is ever an appropriate time to go for two points, it is in a state championship game. You know you are playing a quality opponent so get the clock running and shorten the game. I would say any playoff game you should go for 2 points. Again shorten the game to help lock in the win, and reduce the possibility of injuries.

What's the difference?? So they go for one, then score another TD and get the running clock anyway. I'm not for staying on the gas, and rubbing the other teams nose in it. But going for two when up 34 points is a complete non issue. Is kicking the one that much better??

IMO kicking the one is more of a classless move then going for two.

I say go for two only if you think your opponent could come back. If it is late in the 3rd or into the 4th I say don't do it. But if you capitalize on a couple of turnovers in the first quarter and then score again early in the second quarter to go up 34-0, then go for 2 so that your opponent will not get the ball enough times to mount a comeback.