Golden Retrievers.........

akw4572

I've always had a Golden. That is up until my last one passed away 6 years ago. At that point, by son was 3, and had an allergy to dogs. He's since outgrown his allergy, and he's literally begging me for a Golden. Anyone on here have/had one and recommend a place in KY to get one?

Welp my wife's family got theirs from a breeder in Nashville. He's 3 and has so many health issues. Allergic to everything, already had a knee replacement. Super nice and friendly and I love him to death, but he's not going to make it to 10. No chance.

Before him they had two other Goldens, one lived to 11, the other died at 4. They say he died from some blood disease.

Then traceygirl(my dog) is a mutt from the humane society, and is 8. She is literally the same dog as she was when she was a pup. Hasn't lost a step.

It's a crap shoot for sure, but there are a TON of great dogs at the pound that are probably just as healthy(or healthier) and they are a fraction of the price.

My wife grew up with pure bred dogs, and now she is convinced that the pound/humane society is the way to go. I'm convinced too.

If you have the funds, just make sure you do the research! And FWIW, any dog will be a great dog as long as you're willing to work for it! Good luck!

We went with a Labradoodle this time and he's 6 yrs old now. Best dog we've ever had. I hear that the Goldendoodle is great as well. Worth checking into. Best of luck.

My wife has been doing research non stop on dogs. She wants one really bad and wants a goldendoodle or labradoddle. Its only a matter of time until I come home from work with one sitting on the couch.

If you are in the NKY area, check into the Stray Animal Adoption Program. They have puppies, adults and seniors. They have mixed breeds and pure breeds. The best thing is that you save dogs from being euthanized!

Stray Animal Adoption Program

I have 3 saap dogs. Got each one of them as youngsters and they have been great. All are Labrador mixes which is what we liked after having a chocolate lab for 13 or so years. Best way to go imo as far as getting a dog

I have 3 saap dogs. Got each one of them as youngsters and they have been great. All are Labrador mixes which is what we liked after having a chocolate lab for 13 or so years. Best way to go imo as far as getting a dog

You just earned a bunch of credit on the ol' TB&G scale!!! You saved three dogs lives!

We need a love emoji!

If you are in the NKY area, check into the Stray Animal Adoption Program. They have puppies, adults and seniors. They have mixed breeds and pure breeds. The best thing is that you save dogs from being euthanized!

Stray Animal Adoption Program

A lot of good adoption facilities. Some are specific for certain breeds. I have adopted 2 Australian Cattle Dogs from Flying K-9's heeler rescue. I have owned or own 7 dogs since 93 and they have all been rescue adoptions from different places. SAAP is a great program.

We have a new addition Golden from a breeder about an hour north of Cincinnati. Our new gal Tilley has been fantastic and the breeder more than exceeded our expectations.

Be sure to PM me if you'd like their contact info! I'm excited for you, your son, and your family. They are a magnificent breed...:thumb:

I've always had a Golden. That is up until my last one passed away 6 years ago. At that point, by son was 3, and had an allergy to dogs. He's since outgrown his allergy, and he's literally begging me for a Golden. Anyone on here have/had one and recommend a place in KY to get one?

We had a golden for 12 years. Had to put him to sleep last Aug. We got our second in June. I talked to a few breeders before find one. I contact a lady in LOUISVILLE who is the head of a golden club and she gave me several breeder referrals, was a huge help. Do your research and stay away from backyard breeders. That is where you will run the biggest risk with health issues. I can send you the info on the lady in Louisville if you like. She also sent me some good info on what to look for in a breeder.

We ended up getting ours from a breeder in Munice, In.

I have never owned a Golden Retriever but have several friends who have owned them. My experience with 4 different ones, they are half crazy. Maybe my friends don't do a very good job training them but every one of them is very high energy and borderline uncontrollable. I love dogs but these are large dogs that are super hyper with no boundaries. Now, all you Goldie lovers, tell me what the people I know did wrong.

I have never owned a Golden Retriever but have several friends who have owned them. My experience with 4 different ones, they are half crazy. Maybe my friends don't do a very good job training them but every one of them is very high energy and borderline uncontrollable. I love dogs but these are large dogs that are super hyper with no boundaries. Now, all you Goldie lovers, tell me what the people I know did wrong.

:idunno:...as puppies they are high energy and sometimes uncontrollable. With training that should pass. Hope that helps!