KHSAA Decision to Suspend 3A Track Meet

Saturday night, due to weather, the KHSAA called the 3A track meet before the 4x400 relays could be contested. Apparently the KHSAA has no contingency plans for bad weather for an outdoor event.

Obviously the decision impacted lots of kids:

- For some kids their only event was the 4x400 so they didn't get to run the event they worked for and earned.

- 64 kids would have earned medals in these races and 8 would have been champions.

- Additionally on the boys side only 6 points separated Male and Trinity (Male was seeded #1 and Trinity was seeded #3, so it was unlikely the final results would have changed, but.... you never know).

There is no way the KHSAA would allow this to happen in basketball or football or baseball or even soccer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennis went indoor went the bad weather hit on Friday morning for matches. Does UK have an indoor track?

Indoors totally changes the event. The track would be half the size with tighter corners, and only 6 lanes vs 8 which screws up the heats. Throw in the fact Many if not most have likely never run a competitive event on an indoor track. Moving indoors is not really an acceptable option, even if UK has an indoor track.

Tennis went indoor went the bad weather hit on Friday morning for matches. Does UK have an indoor track?

Nutter Field House: 6 lane, oversized 290 meter, and non-banked. They host big meets there every year. But that's a lot of folks to move after 9 pm.

Adjacent to Kroger Field. Only 1/2 mile further down Sports Center Drive.

Nutter Field House - UK Wildcats

Edited by Runcible Owl

I think the most obvious solutions are:

- Find a high school track in either Lexington or Louisville. I realize there are a few schools in Western KY (4 or 5) that will have a drive of more than 2 hours, but giving the kids a chance to compete is worth it.

or

- Run it before the start of the MS State Championship Saturday morning at Oldham County.

You have to at least try to give the kids a chance.

Seeing on Twitter that they are working to have this played out still. I guess it'll come down to a KHSAA decision.

Raise your hand if you have any confidence in Julian Tackett doing what is best for kids.

One of my sons proudest moments came with a medal in a KHSAA Track event. Quite special for him and it was for 5th place. I hope everyone gets their chance as well. That storm was massive Saturday night.

Raise your hand if you have any confidence in Julian Tackett doing what is best for kids.

I for one believe he does have the kids best interest in mind. He is not anti-kid. With that being said, this just seems inexcusable and really poor judgment on someone's part. Mr. Tackett, being the head person will take the hits. Maybe deserved. Let's see how they remedy this. There are things to think about. One kids went home, who pays them coming back. I say KHSAA, but those things have to be ironed out.

No excuses, though, get the kids back there to compete, whatever the cost.