Marvin Lewis on Adam Jones: Other than his language, what did he do?

Marvin Lewis on Adam Jones: Other than his language, what did he do? | ProFootballTalk

A felony charge against Jones has since been dropped, leaving him with misdemeanor charges of assault, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business as a result of his altercation with a security guard at a Cincinnati hotel. The Bengals didn’t immediately revisit Tobin’s comments in light of that development, but coach Marvin Lewis did discuss Jones at the league meetings in Arizona this week.

Lewis didn’t shed any definitive light on Jones’ status with the team, but he doesn’t sound like the plan is to part ways with the veteran corner.

“As time has come out, other than his language what did he do?” Lewis said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “But that’s up to whatever happens. The case is still under review, we’ll see how it plays out.”

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude is a clown, we knew this. He acted like most other criminals in lockup, on the surface no biggie. A large portion of NFL players have some sort of legal issue, so what. So does a portion of the non NFL working force. Not worth getting worked up about. If they cut him, I get it, if they keep him, I get that too.

I don't know Marvin, how about?

> disrespecting a security guard

> resisting law enforcement

> banging on hotel doors

> spitting on a woman

> public intoxication

I have almost always backed Marvin for his coaching on the field and quite frankly bringing this team from pitiful to competitive and respectful. I have no respect if this is what he thinks about this incident. They can fire him now.

I get supporting players. But they have to at least to be in the arena of being supported.

Mike Brown supports him also. Awesome

Bengals owner Mike Brown stands by Adam Jones - Story

CINCINNATI - Bengals owner Mike Brown says he supports Adam Jones and indicated the veteran cornerback remains in good standing with the team pending possible disciplinary action from the NFL.

“Maybe I am overly tolerant. If so, so be it," Brown told the Enquirer Wednesday.

Later in the day, Jones thanked the Bengals for their "support and love."

Brown said he sees the good side of Jones as a loving, caring father to his 5-year-old daughter and that carries more weight with him than Jones’ recent blowup with police or his past run-ins and indiscretions.

"I see Adam Jones through my own eyes. I see different facets of his personality. I see him as a person who is energetic, lively, positive for the most part, exceptionally so. I know a little bit about his family, that weighs in my mind,” Brown said.

“It’s a bigger picture than one incident … So I have chosen to decide it the way I am deciding it. I’m going to give him a chance. I hope it comes out right for him, for his family and for us."

Brown said he's not condoning Adams' actions during the night of his most recent arrest Jan. 3.

"They were in all honestly embarrassing. He was out of control. He misbehaved. He made a fool of himself. No one knows that more than he does,” Brown said.

“He didn’t hurt anybody physically. He just hurt himself by how he comported himself. In some ways, that’s punishment enough right there."

Jones followed Brown’s comments in a tweet Wednesday, saying:

“There are no words to express what it truly means to me to be a part of a family that’s has giving me & my family so much support and love. I truly don’t take it for granted & I vow to continue to order my steps & continue to give you all the best of me.

Jones's latest run-in with the law happened after reports of a confrontation with a security guard at the Millennium Hotel in Downtown. A dashboard camera inside the police car that took Jones to jail captured Jones unleashing a torrent of verbal abuse on the arresting officer.

"I hope you die tomorrow," was one of Jones' outbursts.

Later, security footage released by the Sheriff’s Office shows Jones lunging at a group of Hamilton County jailers (at about 00:30 in the video below) and the moment when he was reported to have spat on a nurse during intake (at about 4:30).

The video doesn’t show the reported spitting because a deputy walks in front of Jones at the moment the incident is thought to have occurred. The deputies around Jones put him in a restraint chair and put a surgical-style mask over his mouth after he makes a sudden movement in the nurse’s direction.

Jones could have faced a felony assault charge for spitting on the woman, but Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters decided against it.

Jones still faces misdemeanor counts of assault, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business, Brown noted. Jones completed alcohol and anger management-related treatment following his arrest, Deters said.

Jones could face another season-long suspension from the NFL. But Brown said he hopes the league and the court will absolve Jones.

"I hope it ends up that he gets his life back, and he has openly apologized," Brown said. "He knows full well what he has done to himself. He regrets it.”