Who is the greatest college football team ever?

GrantNKY

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it's the 2004 USC Trojans. I think they beat any team from any era. I know the team eventually got sanctioned and maybe they had an unfair advantage. But if you look past it for this conversation I think they are the best.

I don't know how this can be answered...those Miami teams were just plain nasty, Osborne's Nebraska teams just steamrolled everyone, Tebow's Gators were a load, SMU with the Pony Express could probably hang with anybody. The 68' Buckeyes would be on the short list as would the '79 Crimson Tide...heck if Alabama Blows out Clemson you have to look at this team as well.

To me it's the 2004 USC Trojans. I think they beat any team from any era. I know the team eventually got sanctioned and maybe they had an unfair advantage. But if you look past it for this conversation I think they are the best.

They are on the short list for sure.

I would put them in the mix.

Others for consideration:

1995 Nebraska

1971 Nebraska

1974 Oklahoma

1972 USC

1986 Miami (It took the perfect combo of implosion by them and great play by PSU to beat them 14-10)

2001 Miami

One of the recent Alabama teams? 2009? This year if they win it?

Hard to compare head-to-head against eras. More modern teams on evolution alone would win.

I just try to compare the team against others within their own era as to how dominating they were compared to their contemporaries. For me, it is the '95 Cornhusker squad. Only one game the entire season was competitive, and that was a 14 point win against Washington State. And I am not even sure that game would classify as competitive, it just happened to be the only time of the season Nebraska trailed (7-0).

People seem to mention the 09 Bama team was that really the best? They beat a really good Texas team in the NC game, but I don't think their defense holds a candle to the one they have this year. I would tend to go with one of the AJ McCarron led teams but that's just me.

People seem to mention the 09 Bama team was that really the best? They beat a really good Texas team in the NC game, but I don't think their defense holds a candle to the one they have this year. I would tend to go with one of the AJ McCarron led teams but that's just me.

I haven't viewed any of the latest Alabama teams as all time great. You can debate the order of which of the most recent teams were best, but they all look similar to me.