Deer Genetics Question

Watusi

Two years ago while hunting on a farm we use I saw a pretty decent buck with only one antler. It was late muzzleloader season and I thought he may have lost the other one in a fight. I only saw him from his "good" side, and couldn't see the other pedicel. I let him walk.

Flash forward to this year. My son and I were hunting and he had already taken a buck. It was our last afternoon and I saw another deer with only one antler. It was a small 2 point antler and I immediately thought about the other deer I had seen two years ago. This time, the deer stopped and faced us at about 75 yards and I could see something amiss on the other side of his head. I looked through my scope and he had what I call an inverted antler. It grew downward beside his head, and wasn't fully formed, there was a thick boot like growth on the end, which I thought was probably dried velvet. I've seen pictures before of similar deer, but never one in the field.

I decided to take this guy out of the gene pool and put meet in the freezer.

I know antler growth can be affected by many things, including injuries or sickness. My question is, could it be a genetic problem? Was I right to harvest this deer or is it just insignificant?

There's a cool study of rack formations on a deer farm if you're so inclined to google it. Dispels the spike myth.

I'd whack that dude next yr if you see him to keep him from thrusting those genes into the next generation

There's a cool study of rack formations on a deer farm if you're so inclined to google it. Dispels the spike myth.

I'd whack that dude next yr if you see him to keep him from thrusting those genes into the next generation

I will look it up, that is interesting to me. And I did whack him for that very reason. I just can't decide if that kind of thing is genetic or not?

I would say there is a really good chance it was genetic. Deer are no different than any other critter in the sense that parent's genetics have an effect on offspring. That said it would still be possible that this fella had no relation to the other deer you saw a few years ago. Probably a good decision to take him if you are trying to improve the rack sizes in your area.

Here's a good one. This guy photographed this deer from the time it was a 1 1/2 year old spike until the day it died at 12 1/2. Hit in the 170's at 6 years old. Photo Gallery: From Buttons to Booner | Deer Hunting | Realtree