What becomes of Josh Gordon?

He is asking the NFL for reinstatement.

I think he will get reinstated, assuming he provides whatever documentation the NFL requires that he has followed a treatment plan and stayed clean.

So assuming he is reinstated (you may argue against this), the next question is whether Cleveland keeps him, trades him, or cuts him.

As a Cleveland fan, I want to see Gordon playing for the Browns next season. The Browns took a chance on drafting him in the supplemental draft in the first place. They have endured two (or is it more?) suspensions. They haven't got much on the return of their investment in him. He has been suspended for 27 of the team's last 32 games! He owes the Browns team and organization. If Gordon plays any where, it needs to be for Cleveland.

Unfortunately, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Having said that, I hope Gordon makes it, if not for himself, at least for the Browns.

He is asking the NFL for reinstatement.

I think he will get reinstated, assuming he provides whatever documentation the NFL requires that he has followed a treatment plan and stayed clean.

So assuming he is reinstated (you may argue against this), the next question is whether Cleveland keeps him, trades him, or cuts him.

As a Cleveland fan, I want to see Gordon playing for the Browns next season. The Browns took a chance on drafting him in the supplemental draft in the first place. They have endured two (or is it more?) suspensions. They haven't got much on the return of their investment in him. He has been suspended for 27 of the team's last 32 games! He owes the Browns team and organization. If Gordon plays any where, it needs to be for Cleveland.

Unfortunately, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Having said that, I hope Gordon makes it, if not for himself, at least for the Browns.

I feel your pain.

^ yep, Hue likes big receivers. Gordon is not only big, has great hands, but he can also fly. Watch Aqib Talib try to cover him in the Browns game against NE a couple of years ago. Gordon made a top DB look like a rookie, and not a very good one at that.

I guess I can just look this up, but I'll ask here. What is his contract situation like and how does his suspension impact his contract, if at all? For instance, does his year off count as a year under his contract or does he actually have to be playing?

I guess I can just look this up, but I'll ask here. What is his contract situation like and how does his suspension impact his contract, if at all? For instance, does his year off count as a year under his contract or does he actually have to be playing?

The Browns suspended Gordon for the last game of the 2014 season. Here's what an article from the Cleveland PD web site on Dec. 27, 2014 said was the effect:

The suspension was the next step for Gordon, who's been late to other team functions this season and has been fined for it.

Missing the game leaves Gordon with only five games played this season, which does not account as an accrued year. It means that the Browns will have him under contract through 2016 -- unless Gordon's agent Drew Rosenhaus and the NFLPA fight the situation and win.

This is the status of his contract now. He still is under contract with the Browns for the 2016 season. He spent part of the last three seasons under suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He owes the Browns some playing time.

and this from NFL.com, Feb. 3, 2015:

Due to the multiple suspensions, Gordon has been unable to accrue the time served to trigger free agency. If he does play football again, he will remain under the Browns' control through at least the 2017 season.

Gordon has received millions of dollars from the Browns (though none during the 2015 season when he was suspended). They got one good season from him, and that was only part of a season because of a suspension. I'd say Gordon got the better end of the deal so far. With all of his BS, Gordon has been a rotten egg on the team so far.