Magnolia trees winter damage

The Professor

I think all 7 magnolia trees that my neighbor and I have on our properties have died due to the extreme cold weather last winter. They all show no signs of life and it's almost May.

Has anyone else had loss of shrubs and trees due to the past winter? A friend of mine said he thinks all his magnolias were killed, and some of them were over 20 years old.

I suppose several consecutive nights of -25 degree temperatures was too much for some shrubs and trees to handle.

They may still come back, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Magnolias and crape myrtles seem to be some of the hardest hit by the previous two winters. The winter prior to this past winter killed off some magnolias in my area. Crape myrtles were also harmed, but when cut to the ground they eventually sprouted new stalks. There were some magnolias that looked dead but finally greened up mid summer also, so there is a chance.

Thanks for this thread. I planted a Magnolia last year, and I am not sure it is still alive...it has buds, but it doesn't seem like they are opening. I wasn't sure if it was the winter, or the wetness, but it doesn't look good. I lost already a little ornamental tree in my front yard. Also, I planted Leland cypress trees along the side of my house, and a few of them don't look great either. I was wondering if it was the weather or the soil.

That's odd about the boxwoods, they are usually pretty hardy. I've seen them get some bad spots in them, but can't remember the last time I've actually seen a dead boxwood. The dead spots I've seen aren't usually do to the weather, its usually from vines growing in them, or over spraying of pesticides.

Thanks for this thread. I planted a Magnolia last year, and I am not sure it is still alive...it has buds, but it doesn't seem like they are opening. I wasn't sure if it was the winter, or the wetness, but it doesn't look good. I lost already a little ornamental tree in my front yard. Also, I planted Leland cypress trees along the side of my house, and a few of them don't look great either. I was wondering if it was the weather or the soil.

It should be fine if it has buds on it. It may just bloom late.

My magnolia took a couple of years before it started blooming. It's just now in full bloom, this year, and it's been hotter than Hades here this spring, so far.

Minus 20 was just stupid.

My Magnolia (sounds like a restaurant name) isn't showing much life. My knockout roses are coming back, but basically from the base as I had to cut back about anything that was more than 6" above ground. Some of my grass (or at least grass-looking weed) isn't coming back.

I believe we should riot next winter if it gets that cold again.

Mine bloomed about 50 percent of what it did last year, but the leaves have been fine and full.

I think I'm going to have to get rid of mine which I hate to do. It isn't at 25% leaf wise yet. I'm thinking to give it a couple of more weeks then if no improvement it's coming down.:isurrender:

We have one dwarf magnolia; no issues. Looks like a couple of crepe myrtles have bitten the dist.

Cut the crepes down to a few inches tall, they will likely come back. They will likely come back even if you don't cut them down, but it will just be new growth around dead shoots.