The N-Word And Its Multiple Meanings

Clyde

Before starting this thread I confirmed with Rockmom (and I assume other mods) that the thread was cool as long as we all keep our minds about us and have intelligent conversation.

So let's talk about Harrison's comment.

The N-word is terrible to me because of how I interpret it. I view it as a slur against an entire race that means to say they are somehow "lesser." If you interpret it that way then you probably share my belief that there is no place for the word.

HOWEVER, young black men use that word COMPLETELY differently than an old white guy like me (and probably differently than older black men as well).

They use the term as a pronoun. They use it , often, in a non-vile manner. They use it as a throw-away term. They use it IN THEIR RACE.

Intent, IMO, matters. Because of that my bigger issue with Andrew's comment was simply how stupid he was to say anything negative, muchless with those two words, about a player when he was mic'd.

I can see him still being frustrated and hearing that question saying "Screw him" or "He isn't as good as everyone says" or..... That's how I took his comment. Exactly that way.

He should be embarrassed. He embarrassed himself, his family, and the program. However, let's not lose our mind and lump him in with the moronic UK fans who tweeted that word in a vile manner towards UC's kid.

There are different meanings and it's generational. We look at through older eyes than many, especially in the black community, do.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before starting this thread I confirmed with Rockmom (and I assume other mods) that the thread was cool as long as we all keep our minds about us and have intelligent conversation.

So let's talk about Harrison's comment.

The N-word is terrible to me because of how I interpret it. I view it as a slur against an entire race that means to say they are somehow "lesser." If you interpret it that way then you probably share my belief that there is no place for the word.

HOWEVER, young black men use that word COMPLETELY differently than an old white guy like me (and probably differently than older black men as well).

They use the term as a pronoun. They use it , often, in a non-vile manner. They use it as a throw-away term. They use it IN THEIR RACE.

Intent, IMO, matters. Because of that my bigger issue with Andrew's comment was simply how stupid he was to say anything negative, muchless with those two words, about a player when he was mic'd.

I can see him still being frustrated and hearing that question saying "Screw him" or "He isn't as good as everyone says" or..... That's how I took his comment. Exactly that way.

He should be embarrassed. He embarrassed himself, his family, and the program. However, let's not lose our mind and lump him in with the moronic UK fans who tweeted that word in a vile manner towards UC's kid.

There are different meanings and it's generational. We look at through older eyes than many, especially in the black community, do.

Who gets to determine intent?

Who gets to determine intent?

Well, we all make judgement so we all do. However, we have to consider the person who is delivering the message.

If a gay guy calls another gay guy a gay slur in a joking manner it's COMPLETELY different than if you or I make the same statement.

I think it's stupid to get worked up over a word. I also think too much power is given to that word in that it's SO much worse than any other racial slur that can be said. Take its power away and it's just another word that shouldn't be used. Yeah, I can say this as a white female and not understand what it is to be called that word. I get that. I also have been called other names that are just as hurtful to me as a female. You know what though? Sticks and stones....

I don't buy into all that "I can say it but you can't" line of thinking. It's either all or nothing with me.

Before we go any farther, let's go ahead and get this out of the way too...

Yes, black people are "allowed" to say it. No, white people aren't.

Don't ask why, that's just the way it is, regardless of how stupid you think the use of the word is.

When I've been called the n-word by a white person, with the intent of "harming" me, I've always just laughed at them. Only when I was very young did it anger me. Someone saying that proves to me that they aren't smart enough to come up with an "original" way to put me down, so they go with what they expect to upset me.

Me and my black friends have used it, probably will use it again in the future. In that context, it's the same as "bro" or "homie." Some black people are okay with it in that context, some aren't, and I understand both sides of that argument.

Before we go any farther' date=' let's go ahead and get this out of the way too... Yes, black people are "allowed" to say it. No, white people aren't. Don't ask why, that's just the way it is, regardless of how stupid you think the use of the word is.[/quote']

Word

Me and my black friends have used it' date=' probably will use it again in the future. In that context, it's the same as "bro" or "homie." Some black people are okay with it in that context, some aren't, and I understand both sides of that argument.[/quote']

Word(s)

Don't ask why, that's just the way it is, regardless of how stupid you think the use of the word is.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, I went right to your first comment. The bold above is the problem, until that changes this word will always be an issue.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, I went right to your first comment. The bold above is the problem, until that changes this word will always be an issue.

I don't disagree with you that it's an issue, but it's not THE problem.

THE problem is people still using the word with malicious intent. Even if black dudes stopped using that with each other, you really think that is going to stop racist white guys from calling them that? Nah...

Fair enough.

But the question is, if this word is ever to be eradicated - and I would hope that is the goal - is the African American community the one that needs to lead the charge, which is contrary to what many feel? I don't know the answer, but just pondering about this recently.