What do you consider to be a "Rout" . . .?

I have pondered this for many years and my definition is any "Win" with a margin of victory GREATER than 21 points. Seen a lot of 14 - 0, 21 - 0 games: Even though the game was settled convincingly, I don't see it as a "total domination" by the winning team. What do you consider a "Rout"???

I generally think of a rout as 30 points but I've seen some really dominating 14-0 or 21-0 wins that would be close to "routs". If you are a running team and score 21 points and only allow a couple 1st downs it's hard not to call it a rout.

Of course this is subjective, but I would never consider a 14-0 win a route. Even if the yardage totals are 400-100, I wouldn't consider 14-0 a route. One pick six by the trailing team and a 14-0 game is in jeopardy very quickly. I tend to agree with Camel above and say 28-30 points is the minimum spread I would consider a route.

Of course this is subjective, but I would never consider a 14-0 win a route. Even if the yardage totals are 400-100, I wouldn't consider 14-0 a route. One pick six by the trailing team and a 14-0 game is in jeopardy very quickly. I tend to agree with Camel above and say 28-30 points is the minimum spread I would consider a route.

Bingo.

Guest Birdflu
I have pondered this for many years and my definition is any "Win" with a margin of victory GREATER than 21 points. Seen a lot of 14 - 0, 21 - 0 games: Even though the game was settled convincingly, I don't see it as a "total domination" by the winning team. What do you consider a "Rout"???

When there is a running clock.

When there is a running clock.

That's the way I see it, if you dominate someone enough to get to the running clock, or if you are dominated enough to get to the running clock, that's a rout.

I hear people taking about a rout and the score was 21-0. Just not what I consider a rout.

Clock = "Rout"

Pulling starters in 2nd or 3rd quarter regardless of score = "Rout"

This is right on the money. Many times the Franklin County teams the last few years have pulled starters and people have scored on the JV and have kept the clock from running. FC defense while not noted for great stingy d, have had a few games in which they have performed well but do not get noticed due to starters being on the bench.

That's the way I see it, if you dominate someone enough to get to the running clock, or if you are dominated enough to get to the running clock, that's a rout.

I hear people taking about a rout and the score was 21-0. Just not what I consider a rout.

Back in the 1970s, yes. Now, 35-0 is a good starting point.