Lewis County 41 Russell 37

Lewis County was just more physical than Russell. I guess they got a lot more free throws because they took the ball to the basket more. Credit goes to them, though. They did make their free throws.

As for Lewis outrebounding Russell, why didn't Russell ever try to put Bailey and Dehoff in the game along with Davidson to help on the boards? Davidson did a tremendous job underneath all season long as the lone post player, but I think the other two would be able to help him out some. Instead, Russell chose to play guys who stood out around the perimeter either unwilling or unable to hit the 3's, drive to the basket, or rebound???

The best players on Russell's team are their 2 freshmen guards, Skaggs and Hunt. Through no fault of their own, the right mix of confidence and/or strength isn't quite there for those 2 yet. I expect it will be there next season, though, because there won't be any other perimeter players for them to defer to.

Lewis County was just more physical than Russell. I guess they got a lot more free throws because they took the ball to the basket more. Credit goes to them, though. They did make their free throws.

As for Lewis outrebounding Russell, why didn't Russell ever try to put Bailey and Dehoff in the game along with Davidson to help on the boards? Davidson did a tremendous job underneath all season long as the lone post player, but I think the other two would be able to help him out some. Instead, Russell chose to play guys who stood out around the perimeter either unwilling or unable to hit the 3's, drive to the basket, or rebound???

The best players on Russell's team are their 2 freshmen guards, Skaggs and Hunt. Through no fault of their own, the right mix of confidence and/or strength isn't quite there for those 2 yet. I expect it will be there next season, though, because there won't be any other perimeter players for them to defer to.

I don't think I'd call it deferring when you stand wide open and you still don't sniff it when it's reversed for whatever reason.

Is it time for a change at Russell?

No. Coach Kidwell came into a situation most wouldn't want and has developed young talent over the past 3 years and is on the verge of placing Russell basketball back as a force in the District and the Region. You can't judge this team and Coach Kidwell on the basis of wins and losses. If you are looking at what is being done to bring his young talent along as well as the middle school players that are coming, Russell will be fine. Remember, good things come to those who wait. JMO.

Time for a change?

Absurd. Coach Kidwell is one of the most respected coaches in the area and does an excellent job. Russell will improve even more next year when their young players mature. Their best talent is within their younger kids. They will be much improved next season with another year of experience.

I don't think I'd call it deferring when you stand wide open and you still don't sniff it when it's reversed for whatever reason.

I would have taken my chances with Skaggs and Hunt putting up shots every time down the floor this year, particularly as the season progressed. Russell more or less won or lost based on the production of their seniors this year, though. I'm just trying to say that Skaggs and Hunt should be given the green light to take over. They should get the ball when open the next 3 years because they should always have it in their hands IMO.

No. Coach Kidwell came into a situation most wouldn't want and has developed young talent over the past 3 years and is on the verge of placing Russell basketball back as a force in the District and the Region. You can't judge this team and Coach Kidwell on the basis of wins and losses. If you are looking at what is being done to bring his young talent along as well as the middle school players that are coming, Russell will be fine. Remember, good things come to those who wait. JMO.

Russell's middle school 7th and 8th grade were 3-8 and 2-9 in league play v. Ashland, Rowan East Carter, Boyd Co., Ironton, and Mason Co. So I don't know if that says a lot about talent at the middle school. I do think Russell is improving and will be even better next year and coach Kidwell is a good coach.

Russell's middle school 7th and 8th grade were 3-8 and 2-9 in league play v. Ashland, Rowan East Carter, Boyd Co., Ironton, and Mason Co. So I don't know if that says a lot about talent at the middle school. I do think Russell is improving and will be even better next year and coach Kidwell is a good coach.

First, I think Kidwell is a good coach as well, but regardless of the coach, the teams with the best players win.

It's obvious from the middle school results that Russell isn't setting up for a decade of dominance or anything. Their window of opportunity is beginning now with Skaggs and Hunt playing at guard for the next 3 years along with Davidson, Bailey, and Dehoff under the basket for the next 2 years.

As a Russell fan, I intend to enjoy the next 3 years. After that, maybe we'll get some transfers from Ashland or something. :-)

First, I think Kidwell is a good coach as well, but regardless of the coach, the teams with the best players win.

It's obvious from the middle school results that Russell isn't setting up for a decade of dominance or anything. Their window of opportunity is beginning now with Skaggs and Hunt playing at guard for the next 3 years along with Davidson, Bailey, and Dehoff under the basket for the next 2 years.

As a Russell fan, I intend to enjoy the next 3 years. After that, maybe we'll get some transfers from Ashland or something. :-)

Agreed I think Russell has a chance for some good seasons over the next 3 years it will depend how hard the kids work. I know no one will workharder than coach Kidwell thats for sure.

I am not trying to sound argumentative with my response but I truly believe that middle school sports and JFL sports are about preparing and teaching not so much about wins and losses. I know several Russell parents and their kids and I believe that there is some quality talent in the mix. Maybe grade vs grade they are not matching up but when you put them together at the JV and Varsity levels, the overall talent pool should be interesting. Saying all of this, keep in mind that I am a Raceland supporter and just an outsider looking in on what Coach Kidwell and his staff are doing.

Edited by sidelinedoc
spelling

I am not trying to sound argumentative with my response but I truly believe that middle school sports and JFL sports are about preparing and teaching not so much about wins and losses. I know several Russell parents and their kids and I believe that there is some quality talent in the mix. Maybe grade vs grade they are not matching up but when you put them together at the JV and Varsity levels, the overall talent pool should be interesting. Saying all of this, keep in mind that I am a Raceland supporter and just an outsider looking in on what Coach Kidwell and his staff are doing.

I think is a good predictor not the only one but a good one. up until last year both Boyd and Russell struggled for about 4 or 5 years in middle school. Boyd had a 4 year span where it never beat any of the schools and Russell only beat Boyd and it has showed in high school. Saying this you said you are a Raceland supporter they have a very good 6th -8th grade right now and I look for very good things from them in the next 3-5 years.