Lewis County 41 Russell 37

I think is a good predictor not the only one but a good one. up until last year both Boyd and Russell struggled for about 4 or 5 years in middle school. Boyd had a 4 year span where it never beat any of the schools and Russell only beat Boyd and it has showed in high school. Saying this you said you are a Raceland supporter they have a very good 6th -8th grade right now and I look for very good things from them in the next 3-5 years.

Actually, they have started playing club basketball down into the first grade level. My step-son is on the second grade team that went 16-1. They have a lot of talent for all 3 sports that are young but will they continue to grow as players or will the other teams pass them by? Time will tell.

I almost hate to even comment on this, but heck the season is over and I'll do it anyway. If there aren't significant changes in the youth leagues at Russell, there will continue to be some struggles. The decisions that are necessary in my opinion will be difficult ones, create some hard feelings, but would be in the best interest of the basketball program as a whole. If there were 2 more gyms with more time available some of the issues wouldn't exist, but there aren't. Simply too much going on to allow for any significant instruction. And I speak first hand. I commend the powers that be in the Marv league, they have done an amazing job with the scheduling and dealing with the weather issues. The problem is definitely not of their making, it has morphed into this over several years and needs overhauled IMO for the betterment of the whole. And I guarantee my opinion wouldn't be the popular one amongst the masses in the Russell community.

I almost hate to even comment on this, but heck the season is over and I'll do it anyway. If there aren't significant changes in the youth leagues at Russell, there will continue to be some struggles. The decisions that are necessary in my opinion will be difficult ones, create some hard feelings, but would be in the best interest of the basketball program as a whole. If there were 2 more gyms with more time available some of the issues wouldn't exist, but there aren't. Simply too much going on to allow for any significant instruction. And I speak first hand. I commend the powers that be in the Marv league, they have done an amazing job with the scheduling and dealing with the weather issues. The problem is definitely not of their making, it has morphed into this over several years and needs overhauled IMO for the betterment of the whole. And I guarantee my opinion wouldn't be the popular one amongst the masses in the Russell community.

I absolutely agree. But Russell is a football school. You see the uproar that tampering with the jfl football leagues brought about. People lost their minds. You go changing the basketball feeder and many may not even notice.

Is it a scheduling issue with the floor or is it the coaches? I am not sure where you are headed with your opinion.

Is it a scheduling issue with the floor or is it the coaches? I am not sure where you are headed with your opinion.

I wondered the same thing. He says the system needs to be overhauled but didn't offer specifics as to what needs to be done. I'd like to know.

Glad you asked. And it has nothing to do with the rules, coaches, etc. Marv Meredith boys league starts in January. Yes, that's the month after Christmas break ladies and gentlemen. The girls finish their league first and the boys second. They have the Primary school gym, and McDowell Elementary gym for practice and the Primary for games. Now, although I'm not as well versed on the dynamic of the girls league, I'll assume that the breakdown is the same. So, with that, I'll tell you what the issue is in my opinion. First, let me outline the breakdown of the grades, 2-8 in boys (and I assume girls as well). Now this in addition to middle school teams grades 6-8 (they have their own gym at the middle school). Those that tryout for those teams and don't make it can play in this league. And I don't have a problem with that. However, there are VERY limited times for practice. There are 5 7th/8th grade boys team if I'm not mistaken. If there was adequate gymspace and time available, I'd be all for them participating and having a league to play in. However, in the current state of gymspace/time, you have kids who can't make the middle school teams taking tons of time away from the younger grades. Practice currently is once a week, and before the season, twice a week. Do you really think you can teach anything to kids who need serious gymtime in the 2nd thru 5th grades in 2 hours a week? Answer whether or not anyone wants to admit it is simply NO. The hard solution would be to eliminate the 6-8 Marv leagues, both boys and girls. Then you could run the leagues simultaneously, finish like every other school in the Commonwealth, participate with select teams from the lower grades in tournaments that are going on currently in 2-5 grades (while you're in the middle of league play still).

Don't know if this will ever happen, or who would have to take the initiative or even if there is enough concern over the state of grade school basketball over there. And these are just my thoughts, not popular ones I'm sure. I'm sure I'll hear the standard "but there may be one or two out of that league as 8th graders who will play varsity"......Answer, baloney!

Spindoc, I applaud you on taking a stand and sticking your neck out on a possible negative rebuttal but you did it. Now, here in lies the dilemma. The Marv League was intended to offer kids a place to play and learn to get better, correct? If this is true, the issue you have brought to light is directly the result of it's own intended use.

Raceland has a club team from first grade through 6th with hand picked teams. For example, Our second grade team is made up of what was determined to be the top 7 'athlete's' in school. We have a YBL league that is offered to any kid that wants to 'play' and the club teams can use this as an extra practice. The girls do not have as many teams but play at the old high school gym. The 7th-8th grade boys and girls are at the high school and mix in with the kids at the old high school when needed.

We are a much smaller school and it probably helps in keeping the schedule a little less congested. Good luck in finding a solution to this issue.

Well, all the snide remarks at the coach and I'm not sure what you expect him to do with the kids he has. He gets kids over there who can't guard, have no ball skills and have poor basketball IQ's. All of that is fixable with gymtime and just simply playing the game. Can you for one second imagine the jfl having one practice a week? Think about that for a second.

BTW, how many gyms were available when the league was initiated? I think that the answer is the reason that you have to make some changes somewhere.

Well, all the snide remarks at the coach and I'm not sure what you expect him to do with the kids he has. He gets kids over there who can't guard, have no ball skills and have poor basketball IQ's. All of that is fixable with gymtime and just simply playing the game. Can you for one second imagine the jfl having one practice a week? Think about that for a second.

BTW, how many gyms were available when the league was initiated? I think that the answer is the reason that you have to make some changes somewhere.

I completely agree. You have a quality coach and good enough facilities and great kids to choose from. Now you just need them to actually learn basketball. I see your point and I agree. Basketball and baseball have been slighted at Raceland and there has been a significant push towards fixing that. Travel clubs in both sports seem to be our solution and only time will tell if it is going to pay off. I can't see a negative to it or how this would hurt in anyway.