What guns do you hunt with?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

For deer, I use either a Marlin 336A (30-30 Win) with open sights, or a Remington 700 (.308) with Leupold Mk4 optics. The Marlin gets the most use. My family's farm is heavily wooded and shots over 30 yards are rare. I pull out the 700 whenever I hunt at any of my buddies' places.

For turkey, I use my old 1960's Sears "Ted Williams" Model 200 (12 gauge). It was manufactured and has interchangeable parts with the Winchester 1200, but badged for Sears.

For upland hunting, I use a Browning Citori O/U (20 gauge). That gun is like butter. Most of my shooting and hunting buddies call it "my son". Depending on the day, I can get pretty hot when I'm shooting at clays too.

I don't do much varmint hunting, but I'm known to go out for coyotes or squirrel every once-in-a-while. I use the Marlin 336A for coyotes (although I'm thinking about picking up some kind of a .243), and I use a Marlin 925 bolt action (.22 LR) with a Simmons 22 MAG scope when I'm gunning for squirrels.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remington 700, .270 cal for Deer.

T/C Encore .204 for coyote.

Mossberg 500A 12 ga. for turkey and doves.

Marlin .22 for frogs.

Gamo 1200 fps. for squirrels.

Stevens single shot .410 for rabbits

All of the above for stray cats.

Browning A Bolt in 270 with 3X9 Redfield low profile Illuminator scope (left hand) for long range shots. S&W model 66 in 357 mag. for short range shots from my bow hunting stands. Browning 12 gauge pump for turkeys,rabbits,birds. Oh ya,Knight revolution muzzle loader in 50 cal. with Nikon Omega muzzle loader scope for smoke polling. Savage left hand bolt action 22 with Simmons 4X scope for squirrels. 38 special in my pants for protection.

Marlin .22 for frogs.

My Mossberg Turkey gun with 3 1/2" magnums works best on the stray cats.

Marlin .22 for frogs.

I've heard of gigging for frogs - done it a few times myself, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone gunning for them.

I've heard of gigging for frogs - done it a few times myself, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone gunning for them.

A freind of mine mows around his pond with a riding mower. As long as he stays on the mower the frogs just sit there in the open. But if he gets off they jump and run. So he takes a 22 pistol and shoots them while setting on the mower with the motor running. His shots are usually 4 to 10 feet. I didn't beleive it till I saw it myself. I have used a 38 special on them to get a tasty snack. It blows that head clean off!:lol:

Remington 7400 in .270 for deer hunting, although I'd like to go with a quality bolt action in the future. I'm thinking of a Rem 700, Browning A Bolt, Win Model 70, Ruger M77 or maybe even a Sako. I want something reliable and accurate but I don't want to break the bank.

I've killed more deer with a Thompson Center .50 cal muzzleloader (First a Renegade and then a Thunder Hawk) than anything else over the years because of Kentucky's early 2 day Oct season. I still have the T/C Thunder Hawk but I bought a stainless Winchester Apex a couple of years ago that I have taken one doe with but haven't hunted enough with it yet to really judge it.

I have an older Winchester 1400 12 ga that I have used for rabbit/squirrel hunting over the years. I added a black synthetic stock that lightened the weight a bit. It also makes for a good turkey gun too.

I also have an Remington 1100 20 ga that is one sweet shooter. Its a great rabbit gun. It came with a mod barrel, but I would rather have a remchoke barrel for it. I have a smooth bore deer barrel for it that makes for a good short range deer gun in heavy cover but you have to shoot rifled slugs for any accuracy. I always liked Brenneke/Rottweil (sp) rifled slugs in it, but Winchesters shoot pretty good too.

I have a Remington 870 20 ga pump in the field grade that I will give to my oldest son in a couple of years.

There are a couple of 22 rifles in there but my favorite is an old Rem model 511 Scoremaster bolt action with a 5 shot magazine that belonged to my Grandfather. I think it was manufactured sometime in the 40s. It is still really accurate, even with iron sights.

I have a .410 single shot and a 9 shot 22 pistol that I use to shoot snakes, rats, etc when the need arises.

I highly recommend the A Bolt. Not just because I own one but because 2 of my hunting buddies also have them. These are out of the box competition quality rifles. You owe it to yourself to work the smooth, 60 degree bolt before you buy anything else. I own the BOSS compensator left hand model. The BOSS is ported to reduce recoil by 30 %. The compensator allows you to fine tune your barrel to fire different brands of ammo without losing your point of aim. IMO don't buy a Ruger 77. I owned a Ruger 77 and couldn't sell it fast enough. The trigger pull is the worst I've ever seen and was built so that it couldn't be adjusted or replaced by an aftermarket trigger. I ordered the Ruger because I shoot left handed and it was a special order so I didn't know about the trigger till it was to late. My gunsmith told me that remington is doing the same because of fear of lawsuits over accidental discharge. Our Brownings came with excellent smooth crisp triggers set at 4 lbs from the factory and I had mine slicked up by a gun smith who adjusted it to 3.5lbs. I have fired many rifles in my day but I may request this one be buried with me. One shot one kill, long range killing machine. good luck!

For Deer I use only 2 guns. Tikka 300WSM or Rem. 700 in 30.06 stainless fluted.

I have 2 turkey guns that I use. 12 ga. Rem. 11-87 SuperMag and 12 ga. Rem. 870 supermag with thumbhole stock.

For varmints, I use .22-250 Rem 700.

T/C Encore .50 Cal muzzleloader is probably my most consistent shooter. Even out to 200yds. time after time after time.

For upland game I have several, I have 28 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. all in Rem. 1100.

Oh, I have several more, but those are just in case all of those fail me. Haha.