What guns do you hunt with?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you like your Benelli? I'm couldn't be happier with my old Sears shotgun for turkey hunting, but one of my hunting buddies has a Benelli pump that seems to rattle a lot. We all know what to expect when we pull the trigger, but his seems to be "noisy" otherwise. Just kinda wondering if it's his gun, or if Benelli's seem to be that way in general.

I haven't noticed any rattle in mine. But it's not an expensive gun so it wouldn't surprise me. It seems to shoot just fine though.

Wow...that's ridiculous. :scared:

Is this something that a gunsmith is able to work down (without having him completely rebuild the whole thing)? I know my 700 was built in the mid-80's, and it has a trigger pull in the 4 lb range, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Only on the newer models. Savage went to the accutrigger to eliminate the trigger pull problem. The gunsmith was Bucky Combs 859-824-3250 owner of The Gunsmiths Shop in Williamstown KY. He told me about the Remington trigger after I told him about my bad experience with the Ruger 77. Don't take my word for it, talk to the gunsmith.

Deer: Winchester Model 70 Sporter 30.06

CVA Optima Pro 50 Cal (Awesome gun)

PSE Stinger compound bow

Turkey: Mossberg 835 12 ga Ulti-Mag

Squirrel & Small Game: Winchester 20 ga. pump

Still bowhunting Doc? I am. Wanna test your manhood, go sit in the 18 degree weather. I feel like a complete fool, but still love every minute of it. :ylsuper:

PSE Stinger compound bow

Still bowhunting Doc? I am. Wanna test your manhood, go sit in the 18 degree weather. I feel like a complete fool, but still love every minute of it. :ylsuper:

I went last week end to try and call in some coyotes. It was 9°. There was not a cloud in the sky but it was lightly snowing. I have never been so cold in my life.

I went last week end to try and call in some coyotes. It was 9°. There was not a cloud in the sky but it was lightly snowing. I have never been so cold in my life.

You're giving me flashbacks from a terrible ice-fishing trip I went on about 8 years ago.

Still, I'd have to say that the coldest I've ever been was a day a few years back that I spent straddling I-beams while I inspected steel connections on one of my jobs. It was -2° F...aaaaand MISERABLE!

PSE Stinger compound bow

Nope, been bird hunting lately. It's too cold for my old bones to sit still. All this insulation I've amassed still does better when I'm up and moving.:D

Went bird hunting in Lewis Co. years ago the day the Bengals played the Chargers in a playoff game in Cincy. It was 20 degrees below zero and we were ignorant. Rt.8 was a solid sheet of ice the whole way. I drove my 1981 2wd Ford. It was like ice skating in a pickup truck for 3.5 hours. Made it all the way there only to slam into a snow bank on a logging road. The truck was still road worthy so we started Grouse hunting without dogs. One of my legs went through the ice in the creek, I pulled it out in a split second. It was so cold that the water turned to ice before it could soak into my boot or pants. I broke off the ice and I was dry as a bone. We made it back to Ft. Thomas in one piece except that piece of bumper I left on that logging road. We didn't get any birds either!

Went bird hunting in Lewis Co. years ago the day the Bengals played the Chargers in a playoff game in Cincy. It was 20 degrees below zero and we were ignorant. Rt.8 was a solid sheet of ice the whole way. I drove my 1981 2wd Ford. It was like ice skating in a pickup truck for 3.5 hours. Made it all the way there only to slam into a snow bank on a logging road. The truck was still road worthy so we started Grouse hunting without dogs. One of my legs went through the ice in the creek, I pulled it out in a split second. It was so cold that the water turned to ice before it could soak into my boot or pants. I broke off the ice and I was dry as a bone. We made it back to Ft. Thomas in one piece except that piece of bumper I left on that logging road. We didn't get any birds either!

Would that have been 1982ish 7thcorps?

Would that have been 1982ish 7thcorps?

Sounds about right. I think that truck was pretty new. I remember feeling violated and very stupid when I met that snow bank. I have a 4wd Z71 now and wouldn't even consider such foolishness. I was 25 and sad to say probably half drunk. I don't drink nowadays. Live and learn.

Sounds about right. I think that truck was pretty new. I remember feeling violated and very stupid when I met that snow bank. I have a 4wd Z71 now and wouldn't even consider such foolishness. I was 25 and sad to say probably half drunk. I don't drink nowadays. Live and learn.

Believe I was 13. We were moving back to KY, 5 of us stuffed in the cab of a U-haul. I remember passing by the stadium in Cincy. The Interstate was treachorous and the U-haul was missing because the gas line was freezing.

Sorry for wandering off topic, just recalling the younger, crazier days....

Believe I was 13. We were moving back to KY, 5 of us stuffed in the cab of a U-haul. I remember passing by the stadium in Cincy. The Interstate was treachorous and the U-haul was missing because the gas line was freezing.

Sorry for wandering off topic, just recalling the younger, crazier days....

Back then I used a single shot 20 ga. and always packed a .357 just in case we ran into some deliverance types. :scared:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Working on another flintlock with my uncle...this time I get to keep it, haha. He's the pro - he's been building flintlocks for over 30 years, but this is my second time helping, so I'm starting to learn more, and I've done much much more work on this one than the last.

It's a Woodbury School style, a good and hard maple stock with medium figuring. Aside from drilling the hole for the ramrod, all work has been done by hand - drawknives, spokeshaves, chisels and scrapers. It has a .45 caliber, double-swamped barrel and a Siler Ketland-style lock. It's going to be mounted with iron hardware, with a hand forged butt-plate and trigger guard. I'm currently working on the triggers and on inletting the trigger guard. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to do for the patch-box, and we still have all the engraving and detail carving to do, but barring any major problems, I should have time enough next summer for some target practice in so I'm nice and comfortable with it for muzzle loader season next year.

[ATTACH]32460[/ATTACH]

Working on another flintlock with my uncle...this time I get to keep it, haha. He's the pro - he's been building flintlocks for over 30 years, but this is my second time helping, so I'm starting to learn more, and I've done much much more work on this one than the last.

It's a Woodbury School style, a good and hard maple stock with medium figuring. Aside from drilling the hole for the ramrod, all work has been done by hand - drawknives, spokeshaves, chisels and scrapers. It has a .45 caliber, double-swamped barrel and a Siler Ketland-style lock. It's going to be mounted with iron hardware, with a hand forged butt-plate and trigger guard. I'm currently working on the triggers and on inletting the trigger guard. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to do for the patch-box, and we still have all the engraving and detail carving to do, but barring any major problems, I should have time enough next summer for some target practice in so I'm nice and comfortable with it for muzzle loader season next year.

[ATTACH]32460[/ATTACH]

That is very sweet! Let us know how it shoots. I think that taking a deer with that one may make it a bit more special!!