Mercer's Achiles Heel???

4th and long

Mercer looks very strong... so far. How do you think a team will be able to upset them. What defense/offense are they vulnerable to? I hear a lot of people talking about handing the 2A crown to the Titans but every team can be beat just curious to hear your thoughts on how to attack this particular team.:confused:

Throw the lumber to them, and you will see a change. If anyone can contain the outside. And control the line of scrimmage then you have a shot at the Titans. The backs have to be hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. NOW this is easier said than done because their line play is good. If you let their offense bring it to you instead of taking it to them you are in trouble. Once the Titan's backs have gotten a step or two past the line they are subject to take it to the house because they are quicker than a hiccup.

Throw the lumber to them, and you will see a change. If anyone can contain the outside. And control the line of scrimmage then you have a shot at the Titans. The backs have to be hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. NOW this is easier said than done because their line play is good. If you let their offense bring it to you instead of taking it to them you are in trouble. Once the Titan's backs have gotten a step or two past the line they are subject to take it to the house because they are quicker than a hiccup.

Good post; I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

To add: I just can't see any 2A team that can counter the combination of size, speed, depth, quickness and coaching that Mercer has. There are top-10 caliber 2A teams that may have two or three of these qualities, but I am skeptical that any have the whole five-tool package that it would take to knock off Mercer. I will be very shocked if Mercer does not win the crown.

You have to control the line of scrimmage and keep the ball for long, extended drives. If you keep their offense off the field, they can't put up the big numbers. I said in an earlier post, to beat them you will need to hold the ball and try to win 21-14.

Mercer last year's weaknesses ..... one game view with Devils

Offense ....

Staying with the run and grinding it out ... Had a good RB last year

Running wide on teams with speed

Linemen who can drive block a stacked box ..

In general offense needs to be tougher minded ..

Defense ...

Secondary and LB's who will come up deliver a hit and tackle people ( one Lb was good)

Defensive linemen who move their feet and make tackles ..

In general defense needs to be tougher minded ...

If the combined schools produce a tougher minded product on the field , the sky is the limit for the former Scotties ...

I wish we could see you folks ... Maybe we are the ones who need to raise our game ...

Offense ....

Defense ...

Secondary and LB's who will come up deliver a hit and tackle people ( one Lb was good)

If the combined schools produce a tougher minded product on the field , the sky is the limit for the former Scotties ...

I wish we could see you folks ... Maybe we are the ones who need to raise our game ...

Well, if there is a level over State Champsthat you guys can raise your game to.....then I would agree.

Last years success, along with the measuring stick of playing Russell, and the merge additions has in fact produced a much tougher minded squad. We are still relying too much on speed to cover some of the items you mentioned above...but we are improving. When we "hit someone in the mouth" and have a real slugfest with a tough, physical team....then we are ready!!! We may get that opportunity this week, with Boyle coming to town.

You have to control the line of scrimmage and keep the ball for long, extended drives. If you keep their offense off the field, they can't put up the big numbers. I said in an earlier post, to beat them you will need to hold the ball and try to win 21-14.

That will be easier said then done. I think Mercer got their bad game out of the way friday. I could tell they didn't come to play once they give up that first good run. There was no fire. I think they learned their lesson friday. Plain and simple. If you can't dominate the trenches it will be tough to beat them. It wont take much of a seam for Mercer to break one. I know they have more then one good Qb so they can throw the ball. But Marty Jaggers hasn't changed none over the last 20 years. He is going to run it. Run it some more. And then run it some more till you can stop it. They have been very conservative with their offense so far. I believe when it comes time then they will open it up. Will it be friday? Who knows?

Offense ....

Defense ...

I for one am glad we finally dropped that dog.

Mercer looks very strong... so far. How do you think a team will be able to upset them. What defense/offense are they vulnerable to? I hear a lot of people talking about handing the 2A crown to the Titans but every team can be beat just curious to hear your thoughts on how to attack this particular team.:confused:

I think that a strong passing game like Boyle's will be a way to stop them. If you can't stop their offensive attack then you will be put in a hole sooner or later. You will have to be able to score some points. I know Boyle has a good disciplined run Defense. If they stop the rushing attack then they will provide alot of answers for future opponents. If they can't then that could spell t-r-o-u-b-l-e for future opponents. Friday will be a great test.

One team that I have seen this year that sound llike the type of team that could beat Mercer is Western. They have the speed and physicality that could counter that of Mercer's. I would love to see how those two would match up.

Disagree. Western can match Mercer's speed, but not even close on physicality and depth. Mercer would beat them by 2 TDs.

Disagree. Western can match Mercer's speed, but not even close on physicality and depth. Mercer would beat them by 2 TDs.

The thing about Mercer is high expectations...If they can't handle it then you got a chance and you have to hit them in the mouth first (easier said than done). That is your only chance.

It sounds like the conventional wisdom (from the people who have seen them play) is that to stop Mercer, you will have to:

1. Control them up front physically and

2. Keep them between the tackles so their speed can't burn you outside.

Since nobody thinks another 2A team can do that, at least not for 48 minutes, it seems to be a given that they will score some points.

So the key now becomes how do you do the above with enough consistency to limit their scoring to something manageable so that your offense has a chance to outscore them. (wow, that sounds cliche')

Which brings up the question; how do you score against them? How good is their defense and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

One team that I have seen this year that sound llike the type of team that could beat Mercer is Western. They have the speed and physicality that could counter that of Mercer's. I would love to see how those two would match up.

I believe it is highly possible they will match up somwhere in the playoffs. I saw them play North Laurel before Mercer played South Laurel and they have some players. I Believe that will be a good one if it happens.