Shelby County

What has happened to that program over the years? I went over to Collins last night to scout the game and didn’t realize that their program has had that many players transfer. I started asking some people around me why and 90% of them said the same thing. Most all of them said that their school doesn’t promote their programs or their players, and that’s why the leave. I remember Shelby Co always being a top notch program and now they are struggling to keep players..

What has happened to that program over the years? I went over to Collins last night to scout the game and didn’t realize that their program has had that many players transfer. I started asking some people around me why and 90% of them said the same thing. Most all of them said that their school doesn’t promote their programs or their players, and that’s why the leave. I remember Shelby Co always being a top notch program and now they are struggling to keep players..

Yeah, I have wondered the same thing, just not sure that I believe those responses.

The main issue, to me, is program stability. Shelby County has had three different coaches in the past five years. You just can’t expect to stay competitive in a good all-around region when that’s going on. If I was a high school basketball player, I would want out as well if that were happening. When you look at how many higher profile guys have left the program over the past several years, you have to start thinking there’s an issue going on behind the scenes.

Sam Conley left for Spencer County after his 7th grade year. Big man Noah Gordon doesn't appear to be playing this year. Both juniors could have helped Shelby County.

The Rockets last season above .500 was 2015-16 when they finished 16-14 under Jason Couch.

How much has redistricting / Collins hurt Shelby County?

Collins gets the majority of the city of Shelbyville and the entirety of the city of Simpsonville. Most students at Shelby are rural kids from Waddy, Bagdad, etc. whereas Collins gets most of the suburban kids and the ones who live out towards Louisville.

Shelby has to change something to keep the kids that they have. If the athletic program don’t start promoting their athletes and programs, it will continue. Might be time to look for new AD!!

I’m not sure what realistically can be done aside from going and changing the district lines.

Sam Conley left for Spencer County after his 7th grade year. Big man Noah Gordon doesn't appear to be playing this year. Both juniors could have helped Shelby County.

The Rockets last season above .500 was 2015-16 when they finished 16-14 under Jason Couch.

How much has redistricting / Collins hurt Shelby County?

Noah Gordon plays for Pike in Indianapolis.

As an Oldham County grad from the class of 1980, I fondly remember the intense rivalry between the Colonels and the Rockets. Great memories. Great games.

It's hard to see the tradition-rich Rockets on such hard times, but I don't really believe the AD is a problem. Probably few people understand what it means to wear Shelby County blue-and-gold like Charlotte Marshall, a star basketballer at Shelby County herself. If anyone can orchestrate the rebirth of Shelby County's program, I personally think Charlotte can. Charlotte's a class act all the way.

I personally think time will allow Shelby to resurrect itself. Eddie Oakley has a history of winning basketball; given time, he looks like a good candidate to get things turned around. The proud Shelby County fans will simply have to be a little patient and give him that time. Right now, Collins is the "shiny new thing" in the county, and that's paying dividends for the Titans, but Shelby has a lot to sell to the kids, including a region 8 tradition measured in decades and matched only by only Oldham County.

Given a little time, I expect Shelby to bounce back.

CM