Game of Thrones: Season 1

GrizzlyAdams

Thought I'd float this out to the BGP community to see if there is anyone else extremly excited to see this series come to life. For those of you who dont know, its based on a book series, and IMHO I would put the book series one very small notch under LoTR. If anyone else has gotten into the series I'm sure they would agree.

Anyways back to the actual TV show. It premieres tonight on HBO at 9. From what the author of the books has said, it keeps close to the book, and with HBO's reputation I would say it more than likely will. Just thought I'd float it out there and see if anyone else is a fan.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Agreed. I've been waiting on the new for too long and the next 2 could take 10 years.

June 6th or 7th is when they plan on releasing the first part.

I love the books and I loved the show. The author of the books is an arrogant jerk though. I follow his blog and the words I would use to describe his attitude cannot be posted here.

Love it. I think the Song of Ice and Fire series is exponentially better than Lord of the Rings. I loved LoTR and certainly give it its due for blazing the trail of fantasy fiction, but as far as scope and story and intrigue and writing, I enjoy Martin's work much more. Some of the best books I've ever read. And, you're right, they'll probably never get finished. The new one is slated to be available on July 12, I believe.

I've been hoping they would make these books into movies or a series for years. I was pumped up when the news finally broke that it was a go, and was probably more excited about last night's debut than any show I've ever watched. I had a free HBO preview this weekend, but I'm ordering it specifically so I can watch Game of Thrones. Episode One definitely followed the script closely. Its been so long since I read the first book, I probably won't be able to point out the differences as the season progresses. But, I did remember most of the early stuff about the white walkers, the death of the King's Hand and his request to Lord Stark, and Bran getting pushed off the tower. And, a direwolf for each Stark child.

Also, something that may interest some of you...the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is also coming to the Big Screen and television. It's a go on a unique setup. Three movies, with 2 seasons of a show to bridge the gap between movies. The first movie is set for 2013. That's what I read anyway. That is the other series that I greatly hoped would be brought to the screen.

I've read some of the later HP books in a day's time with ease. How do they compare to them in terms of length?

Fair warning, they are pretty tough to get into. First 200 or so pages is all setting up the plot. One you hit the Inn scene( those people who have read the book know what I'm talking about) then it starts to get good.

Also as Peprock said, I have been reading Martins blog alot lately just because Game of Thrones is "in" I guess you could say and I just dont have a good liking for the guy.

I've read some of the later HP books in a day's time with ease. How do they compare to them in terms of length?

I finally got my sister into reading them and if your gonna read them I will basically give you a cliffnote version of the characters because it helped her out ALOT she said. The books are basically similar in length. There is supposed to be a total of 7 books in the series but only 4 have been released and a 5th is coming soon, hopefully.

Eddard(Ned)- Main character I guess you could say. King's Hand. Lord of one of the Seven Kingdoms

Bran- Ned's son

Caitlyn- Ned's wife

Sansa, Arya- Ned's daughters

Jon- Ned's other son

Tyrion- A Lannister and a dwarf. (My 2nd favorite character, outside of his brother Jaime)

Daenerys- Dont really know how to explain her that well for a person just starting.

Anything else you need to know about the book feel free to ask.

I finally got my sister into reading them and if your gonna read them I will basically give you a cliffnote version of the characters because it helped her out ALOT she said. The books are basically similar in length. There is supposed to be a total of 7 books in the series but only 4 have been released and a 5th is coming soon, hopefully.

Eddard(Ned)- Main character I guess you could say. King's Hand. Lord of one of the Seven Kingdoms

Bran- Ned's son

Caitlyn- Ned's wife

Jon- Ned's other son

Tyrion- A Lannister and a dwarf. (My 2nd favorite character, outside of his brother Jaime)

Daenerys- Dont really know how to explain her that well for a person just starting.

Well that makes me feel better. I actually watched the 1st ep twice and have a pretty good frame for those characters.

Fair warning, they are pretty tough to get into. First 200 or so pages is all setting up the plot. One you hit the Inn scene( those people who have read the book know what I'm talking about) then it starts to get good.

Also as Peprock said, I have been reading Martins blog alot lately just because Game of Thrones is "in" I guess you could say and I just dont have a good liking for the guy.

The most irritating thing about him is the way he treats the fans who ask him his progress or the fans who get frustrated with him for working on like 6 other projects instead of finishing A Dance With Dragons, but it is his condescending attitude that makes me wonder if he will ever finish it and that just infuriates me.

Bran- Ned's son

Caitlyn- Ned's wife

Jon- Ned's other son

Dany at this point is my favorite character although I am quite fond of the members of House Martell at this point as well. I mean in the books since we have a long way to go before we meet them in the show.