Does Mike Hearld get any credit for Beechwood's success or does it all go to Romes?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OB

Glad to see your back. :lol:

I always have to try and read between the lines with you OB. So I respond to your post trying to look at the big picture. It seems your looking to discredit the Beechwood program from of the past and give all the credit to the present. It’s no coach or no single player that determines the success of the Beechwood basketball program. Its past/present young men coming together as a TEAM, for one common goal and having a desire to success at under the most unusual circumstance. Basketball is sandwiched between a football powerhouse and Baseball, with a bunch of individual playing summer Baseball looking to get to the next level. At a school the size of Beechwood makes this such an unusual circumstance. With this being said, I have seen different coaching philosophies at Beechwood. To give examples in the past coach Matt Bohmer went thru the same type of criticism base on win/lose record as Coach Mike Herald. The difference being Bohmer was demanding of his players to participate in summer ball, open gyms, was not receptive of them playing baseball and basketball in the winter. Coach Herald is the opposite in many ways he’s not demanding of all his players to play during the summer, attend open gyms, and play basketball only during winter. Which approach is better? Coach Bohmer had less talent then in recent years but had the willingness of his teams to work in the off season. Coach Herald is getting the most talented players by not being as demanding and having a longer string. Both ways have its positives and negatives, but I always wondered with the talent at Beechwood what would life be like if they ALL worked equally hard on there basketball game as they did on other sports. Maybe someday we will see. I do know that Basketball player are made in the off season and so are TEAMS.

The credit goes to the entire TEAM

Or

Maybe the early exit from the football playoff?

I did a little research that I would like to share with you.

Beechwood Basketball

Coach Bohmer Years

99/00 10-15

00/01 17-11

01/02 18-10

02/03 13-15

Coach Herald Years

03/04 10-15

04/05 14-14

05/06 now 5-0

Beechwood Football

Coach Bohmer Years

99 13-2 State Champ season ended 12/3

00 11-1 lost 2nd round on 11/10

01 9-4 lost 3rd round on 11/16

02 12-3 State runner-ups on 12/6

Coach Herald Years

03 13-2 State runner-ups on 12/6

04 14-1 State Champ on 12/3

05 8-4 lost 2nd round 11/11

The bottom line is when you get time to work on your game it seams success will follow.

Go Tigers! :thumb:

Coach Herald is not a bad coach, but that doesn't mean he is the greatest either! Anyone who knows anything about basketball, has to know that without players with some talent, you won't win many. But even with talent, you won't get the best out of the players unless you are a good coach. So Beechwood is undefeated this season! Give the credit where it is due - TO THE PLAYERS AND THE COACH!! Why try to divide the praise by posing such a question??

Beechwood 5-0 and people still complain?? :confused:

Hopefully, any and all success the Tigers have this season will motivate other talented players to come out and play next season.

:thumb:

There is no reason Beechwood can't be a BB power too.......

:laugh: Oh please, don't go getting all full of yourself. They have a very good team this year and hopefully their fans will start to appreciate it soon before it's to late. Much like Ludlow the last few years they have some very talented players but unfortunately at small public schools it is almost impossible to sustain. So enjoy it while you can.

Provocative heading to create discussion, but no one person gets all the credit. An excellent coach or an excellent player can move a team from average to good or good to excellent or poor to average. Likewise, the absence of that player or coach can move the team in the other direction. Romes and Herald are currently both very important cogs in the Beechwood program and both have deservedly earned their share of accolades for the current success. Yes, after Beechwood loses the 6 seniors from this year, the team may not have as much success next year, but that does not indicate a coaching issue. Next year, they may be an average team that becomes good because of Coach Herald. Both Romes and Herald deserve much credit, as do other players, coaches, administrators, janitors, and family members. It is rarely one person. The only half counterexample I can think of is Larry Bird at Indiana State - They were .500 the year after he was the only departure from the NCAA finalist team.

Herald has done a great job in the 2+ years he has been there establishing consistency, demanding passion, and being a mentor. He also knows to run a break with the point guard in the middle of the floor, something his predecessor did not understand. He also gives players personal latitude to create within his schemes. Herald, Romes, and the other players all deserve credit for being 6-0.

:laugh: Oh please, don't go getting all full of yourself. They have a very good team this year and hopefully their fans will start to appreciate it soon before it's to late. Much like Ludlow the last few years they have some very talented players but unfortunately at small public schools it is almost impossible to sustain. So enjoy it while you can.

So if it is "almost" impossible for an A program to sustan, how exactly has Holy Cross done it? :banana:

Holy Cross is not a small public school for one. Secondly, Holy Cross has a storied basketball tradition that goes back well before they even had a football program. They don't have to fight to get the football players to play basketball and that will continue to be a problem at Beechwood.

I'm glad Beechwood is having a great season but wouldn't expect it to stay at this level.

So if it is "almost" impossible for an A program to sustan, how exactly has Holy Cross done it? :banana:

1st off since everyone is welcoming you back I suppose I'll do the same. If you go back and re-read my post I said small PUBLIC schools and the last I checked Holy Cross is a Private school. We have all had this discussion before and no reason to go down that road again but as I've said before schools such as HC, St Henry and Bishop Brossart although considered small school have the ability to shall I say "acquire" players in a way that isn't available to small PUBLIC schools. :ylsuper: Oh and back at you :banana: :D

Have they? Holy Cross is currently 4-3 and go to Ryle next. Please educate us. Wasn't aware of the Holy Cross success over the years. How many tourney titles? How many district championships? How many regional victories and vists to the Sweet 16? What is their records in previous years and how tough was their schedule?

In general, maybe how a small private school can do it is called "recruiting" that is illegal for public schools and the center of the issue with the public schools desirous of having separate state titles since 2/3 of the schools are public but 2/3 of the state titles go to private schools. Maybe the statement should have originally been that is is difficult for a "public" A program to sustain solid basketball, but a size A private school can sustain since transfers can come and go through the turnstyle with little attention to anything being improper.

Have they? Holy Cross is currently 4-3 and go to Ryle next. Please educate us. Wasn't aware of the Holy Cross success over the years. How many tourney titles? How many district championships? How many regional victories and vists to the Sweet 16? What is their records in previous years and how tough was their schedule?

In general, maybe how a small private school can do it is called "recruiting" that is illegal for public schools and the center of the issue with the public schools desirous of having separate state titles since 2/3 of the schools are public but 2/3 of the state titles go to private schools. Maybe the statement should have originally been that is is difficult for a "public" A program to sustain solid basketball, but a size A private school can sustain since transfers can come and go through the turnstyle with little attention to anything being improper.

Careful there Falcon. Learn what it took me forever on BGP's to figure out and that is that you just can't use the "R" word on here without getting yourself in a whole lot of hot water. Anyway it will just bring all the boys out of the closet to attack your every word. Take it from me it just isn't worth it.

As for Holy Cross I would be the 1st to admit that in my lifetime they have always had a very competitive program and usually a Top 5 team in the region year in and year out. They have been to the region on numerous occassions and have made at least 3 or 4 trips to the State Tourney. For a small PRIVATE school you have to admit that if you do your research Holy Cross as a very strong tradition.

First, define BB power.

There is no reason Beechwood cannot be competitive with most 9th region teams occasionally knocking off a power or two. What they most likely won't be doing is winning districts or winning the 9th region All-A except in extremely rare years.

Football and a Class A size school in a non-classified basketball state are the main reasons.

It has nothing to do with being public or taking on private Class A schools.

Think about that excuse for a second. Beechwood's stellar football program is a drawing card for out of district students. (Yes, basketball could become the same but it won't.) Beechwood has long dominated the local Class A as well as having great success on the state level. I find it hard to believe what would allow them to be so successful in one sport would somehow hamper them in another.