Top 25 Players in the last past 25 years(1980-2005) in your region??

RMGS

The funny part about your all argument is my age. I've never discredited anyone's opinion on this thread until you all decided to discredit me. My age has nothing to do with this argument.

The way players train, and the teams they play on year round just makes them better.

Kids play on 3 teams year round now. 30 years ago a kid to play year round would have to play a pick up game in the neighborhood more often than not.

What do you think makes a player better, playing against the best players his age across the state and nationwide, or a pick up game.

I'm not knocking a pickup game because I played more than my fair share growing up in covington at Glenn O, the hole, and in Lationa. But the fact of the matter is the way kids train and the amount they play today just makes them better.

Could the stars of yesterday compete today, without a doubt. Would they be as dominate in most cases probably not. But the point i'm mostly trying to make is 1-8 teams today are just better. Kids train , in the weight room, conditioning and AAU and what not non stop.

You can argue until your face is blue. The fact is I've been around this game for 17 years while that may not impress you. I have coached teams since I was 15, and part of my major in college had to do with studying the game.

I've experienced the game, I'm not some no nothing child without a background so please sir do not discredit me because I happen to be born after you. I won't discredit your experience. But your not going to change my mind. I respect you hold your time sacred and you look down on today's game. I for one just think athleticism, strength and the amount kids plays today passed the yesteryear generations up.

Sorry but your age has just about everything to do with the way that you have gone about this arguement. You have shot off about a lot of things that you have either never seen before or know nothing about. If you had a little more first hand knowledge about what you are talking about, then myself and some others might have a little more respect for your opinions.

Kids play year round now ,huh? Guess you've never been to parts of the world where kids played year round because that's all there was to do.

Sorry but I really am not wowed with the fact that you took a class in college and coached a group of peewee players at the YMCA. You didn't happen to be in that basketball class that Jim Herrick Jr. taught at Georgia were you? :lol: :lol: You just dont realize how silly you are making yourself sound.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some 11th region players...I'm not much for players before the mid-90's, so this is just a starter

Chris Current/ Frankfort

Roni Robinson/Franklin County

Jerome Givens/Woodford County

George Baker/Dunbar

Camerons Mills/Dunbar

Darnell Burton/Dunbar

Matt Heisenbuttel/LexCath

David Graves/lex Cath

Vondale Morton/Lex Cath

Shawn Fields/LexCath

Demetrius Green/lexCath

Harrison Morton/LexCath

Justin taylor/Tates Creek

Vince Taylor/Tates Creek

Steve Miller/Henry Clay

Aaron Dunaway/Henry Clay

Lamont Campbell/Henry Clay

Robert Madison/Lafayette

Vince Sanford/Lafayette

Prince Stewart/Lafayette

Nimbo Hammonds/Bryan Station

Barry Bowman/Bryan Station

Butch Jointer/East Jessamine

Marquis Estill/Madison Central

Kenneal Jenkins/Madison Central

I'm getting tired now, so that's all I'll post.

What about Tory Robertson Frankfort.

Sorry but your age has just about everything to do with the way that you have gone about this arguement. You have shot off about a lot of things that you have either never seen before or know nothing about. If you had a little more first hand knowledge about what you are talking about, then myself and some others might have a little more respect for your opinions.

Kids play year round now ,huh? Guess you've never been to parts of the world where kids played year round because that's all there was to do.

Sorry but I really am not wowed with the fact that you took a class in college and coached a group of peewee players at the YMCA. You didn't happen to be in that basketball class that Jim Herrick Jr. taught at Georgia were you? :lol: :lol: You just dont realize how silly you are making yourself sound.

There is nothing silly about it. You discredit all players of today and I sound silly? There is a difference as I said playing year round in your neighborhood and playing on a traveling AAU team. You can argue until your face is blue but thats just a fact.

There is nothing silly about it. You discredit all players of today and I sound silly? There is a difference as I said playing year round in your neighborhood and playing on a traveling AAU team. You can argue until your face is blue but thats just a fact.
I know all about traveling AAU teams there Stud. Coached them for years. Matter of fact I was the organizer in this area.

Buddy, just let it go and quit giving the guy a hard time. He paid his subscription just like you did, so let him voice his own opinion....

I know all about traveling AAU teams there Stud. Coached them for years. Matter of fact I was the organizer in this area.

So after being invovlved you don't think AAU has given todays players an advantage?

Also for the record I never belonged or coached a YMCA. I did coach Middle School aged kids for 7 years in the covington area, in a very competive leage.

HERE IS WHAT GETS ME??? Devilman is supposed to be DEMING through and through and doesnt have one of their best ever on that list.. What about Stephen Staggs?

Stephen Staggs was a good player but if you look at my last post I think the likes of Joe Mitchell, Gayle Conley and the rest are accurate.

Here's a 10th Region list from another perspective:

Augusta: Brian Kirk

Bishop Brossart: Evan McDole

Bourbon County: Corey Williams

Campbell County: Kevin Reinhardt

Clark County: Dante Gay

Fleming County: Robbie Graham, Presley Marshall

Harrison County: Jerry Fogle, Clay Muntz

Mason County: Deron Feldhaus, Dustin Grutza, Wes Jones, Chris Lofton, Shawn Myrick, Timmy Myrick

Maysville: Pat Moore

Montgomery County: Billy Ray Fawns, Ken Lee

Nicholas County: Daniel Brown

Paris: Brett Eades, Alvin Simms

Pendleton County: Jon Elrod, Talbert Turner

St. Patrick: Jay Gast

Tollesboro: Chris Harrison

Sorry Devilman, no one from Bracken County or Deming make my list (12 of your top 25 came from these two schools - give me a break; I don't think Deming or Bracken County has even made it to a regional final in the last 25 years, although my memory gets worse all the time). I'll take a front line of McDole, Reinhardt and Graham, with Timmy Myrick and Fogle at guard and if I can't beat any combination of your Deming and Bracken County guys by 20 every time, I should be sitting at home watching TV with the recently unemployed Coach Van Gundy and his family.

Not that those (Deming and Bracken County) guys weren't/arent nice ball players; but should they represent a 10th Region all-star team of the last quarter century? Doubtful.

Again, Devilman loves his Black Devils (and evidently the Polar Bears as well), but sometimes needs a reality check.

Good luck against Nicholas County!

I beleive this thread said name the best PLAYERS not the best TEAM, and maybe I am blinded by my loyalty to Deming like many I do wish the Black Devils a GREAT season every year. I know the likes of Pendleton County, Paris, and the likes are there to throw a wrench in the hopes of Deming winning in any case, PC is still my pic as the #1 team in the 10th region.(So I'm not as blinded as many beleive, but a hopeless dreamer may be more accurate. :devil:

Buddy, just let it go and quit giving the guy a hard time. He paid his subscription just like you did, so let him voice his own opinion....

I can say the same to you. You have the option of going to another thread if you like. Stud is the one who felt as if he had to throw his 2 cents into this anyways.

Big Stud...Stating that teams 1 thru 8 are better today was not your original argument. I believe that teams today are better. On the other hand, for some reason I can't explain the 60's produced unusual talent and the team I chose would absolutely smoke a team made up of current players. Weight lifting is apparently important and that was a very rare thing in the sixties.

On the other hand, playing AAU ball involves playing a couple of games a day in which one is on the floor for maybe 25 minutes. I was a terrible player, but a typical day for me was to go to Goebel Park in the morning and shoot until enough players arrived to begin pick up games. We then played the entire day. At night the better players showed up and we played under the lights. Often players from other parks would arrive and challenge us or we would get in the car and seek games at other locations. I thus got the opportunity to play against Jack Thobe and embarass myself trying to guard a 6' 4' guard like Roger Sullivan when we visited Ludlow. I also played against Tom Thacker, Gus Roberts, Jerry McCullough AAron Baallard and a guy named Butler who could jump like few others.

My Goebel Park opponents include the Tieman brothers, Red Cowie , Tom Herron and a lot of other fine players. I used to lose nickles playing Roger Tieman around the world and our shooting games were often played after the park closed when we played by street light. We played year round, but the summer was when we played most often.

I can recall my mother being upset with me whan I left my home on Covington Avenue carrying a shovel to break the ice off the Goebel Park court. We then played in shirt sleeves no matter what the temperature and we warmed ourselves when necessary by pot bellied stove at Mr. Piepers store.

We were as devoted to the game as any generation and we were better shooters than recent players because we shot more. We were not the athletes that the players today are and generally speaking, we did not play defense the way they do today. The Holmes team that I saw yesterday would have smoked any of our teams and I am the first to admit that.

In closing, I will say, you may have beaten the "war baby" teams, but you don't want to play the All-Star team I picked. My team had size, strength athletic ability and above all shooting skills from both the foul line and the field. And as individuals, they accomplished much more.