Top 25 Players in the last past 25 years(1980-2005) in your region??

RMGS

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did Derek play basketball on a national level?

Derek was told he could play for Tubby at UK, but Derek had a football career and if he wouldn't of left college early probably would have gone down as one of the alltime greatest athletes in the history of this state.

I'm sorry your going to be hard pressed to tell me all 3 were more dominating than Derek Smith in the post. The man took on Keith Bogans and Joe Forte's Dematha squad and they couldn't stop him.

I'm not a know it all. It's just playing with people of the older generation for a period of time and watching styles and athletic differences. Plus many players who played in that era admitting the game today is just a lot faster and players are more athletic :argue: .

I honestly don't understand why any student of the game just can't admit it. The game has evolved, alot of players who dominated games 30 to 40 years ago just wouldn't do that with the same ability today :lol: .

Its not a knock on them, its just the stone cold truth. I'm not a know it all. But if there is anything I am, its a student of the game of basketball, you would be surprised what I have seen and studied in this game. My opinion is not uneducated.

Evolved or deteriorated? Are we suggesting that Larry Bird and Magic Johnson couldn't play in today's NBA? Regardless of the time period, Todd May of Virgie...Phil Cox of Cawood...Robbie Valentine of North Hardin...William Conner of Bryan Station...and many others from 1981-82 could play today's game.

Evolved or deteriorated? Are we suggesting that Larry Bird and Magic Johnson couldn't play in today's NBA? Regardless of the time period, Todd May of Virgie...Phil Cox of Cawood...Robbie Valentine of North Hardin...William Conner of Bryan Station...and many others from 1981-82 could play today's game.

Not but people like Kevin Mchale would have never seen the NBA today. Different game, of course the best of the best still could. But overall talent has increased. The guy 8th on the depth chart is much talented than he was 40 years ago.

I don't know why we are even arguing this, I'll give the game was more fundamentaly sound. But you can't argue me from a speed and athletic stance.

Not but people like Kevin Mchale would have never seen the NBA today. Different game, of course the best of the best still could. But overall talent has increased. The guy 8th on the depth chart is much talented than he was 40 years ago.

I don't know why we are even arguing this, I'll give the game was more fundamentaly sound. But you can't argue me from a speed and athletic stance.

Oscar Robertson was, is and will always be the man and I doubt he would have any problem succeeding in todays game. He always had what most players today don't have and you could see it in his eyes. When he walked on the floor he was convinced he was better then the other guy and by the end of the game he had the man trying to guard convinced. the "Big O" will make anyones 1st team for any period in basketball history.

Not but people like Kevin Mchale would have never seen the NBA today.

McHale would thrive in today's game because a)he mastered the low post moves and b)today's shot blockers would not know what to do when they go to block his shot and its not there because he's on his 3rd move.

McHale would thrive in today's game because a)he mastered the low post moves and b)today's shot blockers would not know what to do when they go to block his shot and its not there because he's on his 3rd move.

He couldn't play because he can't play on the perimeter with the quickness of today's game. Postions 1-4 have to be able to play inside/outside now.

He couldn't play because he can't play on the perimeter with the quickness of today's game. Postions 1-4 have to be able to play inside/outside now.

Trust me. Scoring at the clip he could score at against today's defensively-challenged 4 man gets him on the floor.

Trust me. Scoring at the clip he could score at against today's defensively-challenged 4 man gets him on the floor.

Just going to have to disagree. This is the one aspect that has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. The PF postion sometimes has the most athletic and gifted players on the floor. Most can handle the ball like a PG now.

There is no way in God's green earth Kevin Mchale can guard Garnett.

Just going to have to disagree. This is the one aspect that has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. The PF postion sometimes has the most athletic and gifted players on the floor. Most can handle the ball like a PG now.

We're getting off topic but , yes, we will disagree.

By your logic, no forward prior to 1980 could play today.

We're getting off topic but , yes, we will disagree.

By your logic, no forward prior to 1980 could play today.

Not any but I do think the PF position would be much harder for a majority of past players to play in today's game.

I don't think Bill Russel would be a dominate player in today's game, and I know how much that comment irks people. Bill Russel would be Ben Wallace today. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just don't think he would be considered the best Center. Bob Cousy another player of those great celtics would never see the floor for most contenders.

I'm not sure there are more than 10 people on Earth that can guard Kevin Garnett.

BigStud, post by post I am amazed at how very little that you may actual know about anything at all about basketball and athletics in general.

I have never responded to anything on any subject that you have ever posted on, but I have read many many of your posts on various subjects in many various threads.Based on what I have read in the past, I will bet that if anyone said the world was round you would argue till the end of time that it is flat, just for the sake of an arguement.

You really dont have a clue as to anything that you are talking about regarding anything at all that has been posted in this thread. The more intellegent and scientific you want your posts to sound, the more and more you are embarrassing yourself to us that know better.