3A: 2004 Highlands vs. 2005 LexCath

jbwill2

I think that the comparison between 2004 Boyle County and 2005 LexCath may actually be a bit of a stretch. Both teams had great senior leadership, but it seems that 2005 LexCath had better athletes than 2004 BC did, and to take nothing away from Brandon Smith, LexCath' QB Burke is probably much better. I think that 2004 HHS would have a more difficult time matching up with 2005 LexCath than they did with 2004 Boyle County. It would be a great game, IMO!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love these off season threads when they don't concern my team. :lol:

BoomGoesThe Cannon, Highlands has never beaten Elder do you really think last years team would have turned the tide? Was last years team better than the teams from the late nineties?

No but they wouldn't have to be; neither was Elder's.

I think that the comparison between 2004 Boyle County and 2005 LexCath may actually be a bit of a stretch. Both teams had great senior leadership, but it seems that 2005 LexCath had better athletes than 2004 BC did, and to take nothing away from Brandon Smith, LexCath' QB Burke is probably much better. I think that 2004 HHS would have a more difficult time matching up with 2005 LexCath than they did with 2004 Boyle County. It would be a great game, IMO!

Man, I don't know about your second to last sentence JB, no offense intended. This year's group of sophomores and a couple of upperclassmen playing new positions (think Hudy who hadn't played defensive back since the 8th grade) did a really good job controlling Burke. Last year's defense was vastly superior to this year's defense, again no offense intended to this year's defensive players who played a whale of a game and really improved as the season progressed. Last year's defense was just a lot faster, more experienced and senior dominated. Who knows for sure but maybe its a shutout with last year's defense.

Man, I don't know about your second to last sentence JB, no offense intended. This year's group of sophomores and a couple of upperclassmen playing new positions (think Hudy who hadn't played defensive back since the 8th grade) did a really good job controlling Burke. Last year's defense was vastly superior to this year's defense, again no offense intended to this year's defensive players who played a whale of a game and really improved as the season progressed. Last year's defense was just a lot faster, more experienced and senior dominated. Who knows for sure but maybe its a shutout with last year's defense.

It is important to keep in mind that during the two games (so that's eight full quarters of football) Highlands played against Boyle County last year, BC only came away with 6 points total, so if we're talking about comparing how 2004 HHS' defense did against 2004 BC vs. how 2004 HHS' defense would do against 2005 LexCath, the bar has been set VERY HIGH. I would frankly be shocked if 2004 HHS could limit 2005 LexCath to 6 points or less for 8 full quarters of football (that's THREE points per game on average). If they would manage to hold LC scoreless or to just a FG, then HHS would very likely win in a blowout (i.e. by 3 scores or more).

Also, I know that one big reason Boyle County struggled offensively vs. HHS last year was because of how well HHS' defensive line played against BC's offensive line. How was LC's offensive line this year?

Sorry guys, Highlands defense was too good last year to compare. You want to compare this year vs last year. Highlands held a very talented and deep Lex-Cath offense to just 16 points built with mainly a sophmore unit. Sorry this years HHS defense was not nearly as good as last years. Yeah sure the 2005 squad was seasoned by playoff time and i would of like to seen the 2004 team play Elder late in the year. Totally different ballgame!!!!! Lex-Cath offense was definately more talented than Highlands of coarse but their Defense doesn't even compare. Defense wins Championships

We have a winner!

HHS - hands down.

Hopefully this thread will not regress to a St. X vs. Trinity type of thread.

Personally, I think this imaginary game would be a great match-up.

If I remember correctly, last year, Highlands was playing musical chairs with the same QBs they had this year...which of course means they were younger and less experienced on that 2004 team.

The 2005 Lexington Catholic defense was fast and smart, designed to be in the QB's face, as demonstrated against Highlands and Bowling Green (they of the monster offensive line)

In both cases, LC's defense was quicker, positioning themselves well to disrupt offensive plays before they could develop. Cages were rattled and quite simply the offense could not react and quickly change their game plan. Mistakes multiplied.

That is what this defense is designed to do...and would be the main difference in this imaginary game. With a year's less experience at QB, I would suggest the results would be the same.

Was the Highlands' defense stronger last year? Decidedly so. Faster, stronger, really good against the pass. But I'm assuming in this imaginary game Justin Burke would be healthy, as opposed to Regionals when he hobbled the whole game. He was able to run, but could not throw off that bad foot.

(I usually don't like bringing up injuries, because they sound like excuses for a loss. I've never had to use it as an excuse not to run up the score.)

Last year's Boyle Co. had a strong QB and receiver, but this year's LC had a QB that, in MHO, (and the numbers suggest) is much better, and LC had a multitude of weapons at the other end of his passes. And check with Bowling Green on the offensive line of LC giving Burke plenty of time.

My pick....Lexington Catholic

(Long winded story to that surprise ending, eh?)

If I remember correctly, last year, Highlands was playing musical chairs with the same QBs they had this year...which of course means they were younger and less experienced on that 2004 team.

I am not sure you are talking about the same team as us... Highlands returned something like 3 starters this year because there were so many seniors in 2004. One happened to be the quarterback. And for the musical chairs part, the quarterback this year came down with mono the week of the Elder game. Hudy had to step in and he did a good job.

I will agree that Burke was better than Smith, but the argument I have is that the 2004 highlands defense could have kept up with every player on this years Lex Cath team. That includes containing Burke...

BoomGoesThe Cannon, Highlands has never beaten Elder do you really think last years team would have turned the tide? Was last years team better than the teams from the late nineties?

Elder was relatively down last year, and had Covington Catholic's kicker not suffered a concussion on the opening kickoff, I think the Colonels would've beaten Elder.

Highlands' D last year would have kept them in the team and I think they could've beaten the Purple Panthers.

This would be one heck of a battle. Highlands had an EXCELLENT defense last year and Lex Cath had an EXCELLENT offense this year! The other two sides of the ball did what they had to do too win a championship. We'll never know about this one. I do know that I don't think either team would fear the other one bit and I think both teams have a ton of respect for the other! That would be one heck of a matchup!

If you watch the 2004 tapes of HHS vs Boyle, both games, Brandon Smith took some hits from the Highlands D. :ylsuper: Had the 2004 Highlands Defense hit Burke after he hurt his knee, ankle , whatever, I think it would have been a different ball game. The 2004 D was loaded with hard hitting seniors for Highlands. I have said in other threads that I have felt Smith was a little gun shy in the state game. Ask Given, Highlands was lying some hits in 2004. Had Burke taken a few of those hits from the 2004 Highlands D, I'm pretty confident it would have been a different ball game.

I know Highlands had an outstanding D last year. How did it compare to this years' Bowling Green defense? I also think BG runs a similar offense as Highlands. Overall Highlands has faster players but BG has big fast players. H and BG both played the LexCath offense straight up, not blitzing or anything, just trying to cover the receivers. Burke had a subpar game against both teams this year but in the Highlands game his injury seemed to effect his accuracy. He overthrew open receivers on several occasions which is unusual for him. Of course I think LexCath would win such a matchup.

This would be a very good game. I think both teams would match each other in scroing. However Highlands defense last year was unbelievable they was untouchable. I believe they would hold that Knights offense to 3 touchdowns and Highlands ends up winning by a score 0f 35 to 14.