Pike and Towles both performing well at Elite 11 QB camp

kyvince

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKY D1 QBs (not walk-ons) in the last 20 years? Not D1-AA.

JLo

??

Yea Gino was on just about every highlight real every week on Friday night his senior year. I think UC is still D1, C'mon guys I mean they went to the same school and were only a few years apart.

Do these two pal around much? I would think with as much exposure as they're getting and comparison that it would be nice to have someone going thru the same with you, even if you're competing.

Yeah prolly not. But hey, I may be mistaken.

Yea Gino was on just about every highlight real every week on Friday night his senior year. I think UC is still D1, C'mon guys I mean they went to the same school and were only a few years apart.

Sorry ... you are right that we should have thought of Gino since he did end up at a D1 school. But he wasn't the same level recruit as J Lo, Towles and Pike.

Sorry ... you are right that we should have thought of Gino since he did end up at a D1 school. But he wasn't the same level recruit as J Lo, Towles and Pike.

I dunno, he was pretty talented(though he made some poor decisions along the way), but yes these two have had a lot of exposure.

Why would they be going to these camps if they already committed to schools? It's great to get honors and awards, but other than pride what do you get out of going to this camp?

I thought the same thing at first but really it's an experience for them, they will get coaching from some of the best coach's out there and if nothing else it will help bring attention to their team and teammates. If any thing, to an extent you could say they're doing it for their team too. Lot's of guys will get some national exposure just because they play with these two. I'd say they're doing a service to themselves, their teams and KY football to some extent. Hope they can keep up the good work and the best part is we haven't heard any thing negative about either one of them so they're representing the region and the state very well in my opinion.

I read yesterday that Pike was rated 8th out of 24 after the 4th day. He was the only kid to complete all of his passes in the 7 on 7's the 3rd and 4th day. I also read that Towles did very well in the 7 on 7's and went 7-8 on the 3rd day. They were said to be "GAMERS" by the instructors at the camp. They perform much better when it gets more like a game than they do in drills..I would say that is what you want any way....Great job by the 2 young men from NKy!!!

Some comments from Barton Simmons a writer who has attended the entire week. It looks like both Towles and Pike are doing pretty well.

From Wednesday

5. Zeke Pike – Auburn commit

Wednesday was an encouraging day for Pike. He’s a quarterback with less experience than a lot of the players out in Malibu but he showed today that he is very coachable. He took what he had learned throughout the week, made the correct reads and was on target. Pike was one of only two quarterbacks to complete all eight of his attempts and he showed that when he’s just reading and reacting, he becomes a much more efficient quarterback. He’s coachable and that’s a great sign for a player with his ability.

7. Patrick Towles – Kentucky commit

There were a lot of reasons why Towles really shined in the 7on7 setting. His 7 for 8 performance was impressive in its own right, particularly considering every attempt came from under center where he never plays for his high school team. More impressive though was Towles’ command and approach to the session. He has a leader’s attitude and winner’s demeanor. With good size and arm strength to go with it, Towles could be a major success story for the Wildcats.

From Thursday

7. Patrick Towles – Kentucky commit

Towles continues to help his stock this week with another impressive showing on Thursday. After making some good decisions and hitting some of his underneath and intermediate targets, Towles drew the defense in and just flicked the ball vertical for a 40+ yard completion and likely touchdown. Along with his physical ability, Towles continues to stand out with his overall leadership and demeanor on the field. He has a quarterback’s presence about him.

9. Zeke Pike – Auburn commit

The emphasis from Coach Trent Dilfer all week has been “completions”. He has encouraged making the right reads and taking the check-downs when they’re there. Pike has taken that attitude to heart. He is the only prospect that has completed a perfect 15 for 15 pass attempts. The only reason he is this low from Thursday’s competition is that on an open vertical route, Pike let go a ball that was almost end over end and should have been intercepted only to bounce into his receiver’s hands. That consistency is the only thing keeping Pike from being among the top tier of quarterbacks for Thursday.

Why would they be going to these camps if they already committed to schools? It's great to get honors and awards, but other than pride what do you get out of going to this camp?

Seriously? Why wouldn't you go? Kids pay money to go to camps all the time to get coached up. Why would you pass on a chance to improve yourself under some great coaching? A trip to Malibu. Recognition for you and your schools. How could you not go?

Seriously? Why wouldn't you go? Kids pay money to go to camps all the time to get coached up. Why would you pass on a chance to improve yourself under some great coaching? A trip to Malibu. Recognition for you and your schools. How could you not go?

I feel the same way. The process doesn't stop when you accept a scholarship. Heck, it's more towards the beginning. Not only will the coaching better help them prepare for their college careers, think how much better it will prepare them for the upcoming high school season. I can't think of anywhere else they would receive better coaching than they are receiving out in California. Anywhere.

Congrats to both of them for representing Ky so well. Think how many eyes are being opened to the quality of football played in Ky when both of these young men are doing so well. Their performance may very well help some younger QBs from Ky get college scholarships some day as a result of the recognition they are receiving.