Louisville man charged in shooting of boy, 12....

...Who rang his doorbell and ran

Shortly before 10 p.m. Monday, Louisville Metro Police were called to the 7700 block of Kendrick Crossing Lane on the report of a child being shot.

Witnesses told police that a group of children had been playing a game in which they would run up to a home, ring the doorbell or knock and then run away.

According to his arrest citation, witnesses said Bishop came out onto his porch with a shotgun and pointed it in the direction of the children and then fired, striking the victim.

I can understand how annoying it must have been, but really?!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that don't know, Glenmary is in the Fern Creek area of Louisville. Pretty nice area.
I lived there for a year in dental school. I agree. Not the area I first thought of when I opened the article. I suppose there will be some discussions with kids regarding the possible consequences of ding dong ditchin'. What a moron. If you wanted to just scare them you could have fired it up in the air or into the ground. I'll be curious to see how this one turns out in the courts.

What also bothers me about this is how the debate will advance (degenerate?) from here — gun control nuts will overreact, and hardcore gun nuts will do the same in response.
I can't see anyone defending the guy. A stupid decision on his part plain and simple. He's the kind of guy that gives gun owners a bad name. The fact that it was a shotgun will keep most from pushing the anti-gun rhetoric since its handguns and anything that looks "mean" that they're so adamantly against.

I'm not here to criticize gun owners, and that wasn't the intent of posting the thread. I just found this incident to be so preposterous that I had to share it. It's funny how the comments under the article though, have vilified the 12-year old. Someone had a 12 year old doing this kind of prank on the road to being a home invader. Crazy! I never did anything like that, but that was because I was scared to death of my mother, and the fact that when I was growing up, few in our neighborhood had doorbells. :lol: I may have foregone the fear of my mother, had the temptation been there.

I can't see anyone defending the guy. A stupid decision on his part plain and simple. He's the kind of guy that gives gun owners a bad name. The fact that it was a shotgun will keep most from pushing the anti-gun rhetoric since its handguns and anything that looks "mean" that they're so adamantly against.

I didn't say anyone would be defending the guy in this case. Just that hardcore gun advocates would overreact to the hardcore gun control advocates' overreaction.

I'm not here to criticize gun owners, and that wasn't the intent of posting the thread. I just found this incident to be so preposterous that I had to share it. It's funny how the comments under the article though, have vilified the 12-year old. Someone had a 12 year old doing this kind of prank on the road to being a home invader. Crazy! I never did anything like that, but that was because I was scared to death of my mother, and the fact that when I was growing up, few in our neighborhood had doorbells. :lol: I may have foregone the fear of my mother, had the temptation been there.
There was an aritcle on The Gleaner's website this morning about it and the first comment under the story was this...

Getting to the point you can be arrested for defeding your property! Whats next? Call the muslim dictator in the white house a (insert proper expletive here)and face the death penalty?

The brat shouldnt have been trespassing!

There was an aritcle on The Gleaner's website this morning about it and the first comment under the story was this...

Getting to the point you can be arrested for defeding your property! Whats next? Call the muslim dictator in the white house a (insert proper expletive here)and face the death penalty?

The brat shouldnt have been trespassing!

There's no shortage of stupid people out there, that's for sure! It's beyond me how anyone can try to rationalize shooting a kid for ringing a doorbell as a prank. :idunno:

The comments with the article are insane.

There's one guy who's defending the guy who shot the kid, because "Bishop thought it was a prowler". Now I ask...how many prowlers ring the freakin' doorbell?

Another guy says "First ding-dong-ditch, then vandalism, then cop killing by the time he's 20". Really?! That's a natural progression? PUHLEEEZE! Can we say extremist?

The comments with the article are insane.

There's one guy who's defending the guy who shot the kid, because "Bishop thought it was a prowler". Now I ask...how many prowlers ring the freakin' doorbell?

Another guy says "First ding-dong-ditch, then vandalism, then cop killing by the time he's 20". Really?! That's a natural progression? PUHLEEEZE! Can we say extremist?

The one that got me was a commenter who said, "Some people react to stress and irritation differently than others..." To be fair, the commenter went on to condemn the man, but seriously? Some people react to stress and irritation differently than others?