What Advantage?

Rickyp

Rickyp's question is legitimate. The attempts by public school proponents to answer it have been less than convincing. Must we assume that the position of private school advantage is baseless? It appears that that is the case.

I think that this question has been answered about 40 dozen times.....it just was not the anwer you were looking for. Now no one will be goaded into a another discussion of something that as any good attorney in court would say: Objection your honor---asked and answered..........Sustained, ask another question.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 days have gone by and still no answer. :confused:

Fact is that the schools that have the true advantage is the public schools that have open enrollment and don't charge tuition to out of district students.

Am I wrong?

3 days have gone by and still no answer. :confused:

Fact is that the schools that have the true advantage is the public schools that have open enrollment and don't charge tuition to out of district students.

Am I wrong?

I'd say you are pretty dead on RickyP. Good insight. :jump:

So you can attend any of the Catholic schools WITHIN a district without paying the higher tuition but if you wish to attend a school outside the county, you have to pay a HIGHER tuition to attend.

Thanks very much. I better understand the process. Being on the outskirts of NKY, I have not had a chance to be involved in this process and was ignorant of the matter. Thanks for removing my ignorance.

The district (feeder parishes) to the high schools were established by the Diocese to help sustain each school. It is not meant as a punative action as in "You must go the X school only".

If you check out this link you will see the primary service area listed for each of the high schools and how much tuition costs.

http://home.catholicweb.com/covingtoneducation/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=84530&From=Home

O.K. so who is right? APNW or bigstud.

Big Zig The Diocese of Covington is now starting new RCIA classes to welcome new converts into the Catholic Church . Why don't you contact the Parish nearest you and look into this. I know the Catholic Church would welcome you with open arms . We need people who are so passionate and have so much faith in their beliefs .Then you could send your child / children to the Catholic grade and High School of your choice and enjoy the advantages of a Catholic Faith based education . PS: I hear the sports programs are pretty good too .

I think private schools have an advantage in at least one regard ... a generally more motivated and disciplined student. If a family is willing to pay the tuition for their child to attend a private school, chances are that child has the proper amount of parental support and push to succeed.

That isn't the case in the public schools, where some kids are only because they have to be.

I think private schools have an advantage in at least one regard ... a generally more motivated and disciplined student. If a family is willing to pay the tuition for their child to attend a private school, chances are that child has the proper amount of parental support and push to succeed.

That isn't the case in the public schools, where some kids are only because they have to be.

So How many Governor's Cups do the Private schools have?

I think that is logical and tend to agree but is it unfair?

I still think the schools who have it all, are the public schools with open enrollment. They should be the ones with separte playoffs or every public school should have open enrollment. Separating private from public won't even the playing field it will just tip the scales further toward the open enrollment public schools.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of those schools who helped write Prop 20 are open enrollment schools. I don't know this for a fact but I just have a feeling.

I think that is logical and tend to agree but is it unfair?
I didn't say it was unfair. But, given two schools (one public and one private) that are of the same enrollment, I think the private school generally has an advantage.

I still think the schools who have it all, are the public schools with open enrollment. They should be the ones with separte playoffs or every public school should have open enrollment. Separating private from public won't even the playing field it will just tip the scales further toward the open enrollment public schools.
The open enrollment schools still, as a general rule, have the element that does little more than take up space.

Seems odd to me that parents who send their children to school districts outside their own for academic reasons are lauded for affording the children more lucrative opportunities, while those who wish to send their children to other districts for athletic reasons (and probably academic reasons as well) are demonized. Those who favor the public/private separation (a.k.a. "forced inequality," if you ask me) assert that private schools can buy their athletes without technically recruiting them -- thanks to the various enticing perks of a private school education. Of course, if I am a parent and I feel that my child will receive a better education at a private school, I have the right to send my child to said school and pay the considerable price. If I live in a public school district with a low-performing school, there are ways to get my child into another public school, including moving my family. And if it means that much to the parents, I'd say relocation is rarely out of the question (I'm sure it happens all the time). The bottom line is: What's best for the student athletes? Where will they most benefit, and who should make the decisions? Parents...that's who. It's their money -- it's their child.

So after 5 days is it safe for me to assume that if a public school has open enrollment and doesn't charge tuition for out of district students that their is not a competitive advantage for either the public or private school?

I agree with this point about 90%. There are those students at X (not sure about other schools) whose parents...as mine did.......have them get a job and help pay the tuition. The required job makes it very difficult to play sports because of the time required for practice and games. X offers intramurals and there is a awful lot of talent in those games that is not seen on the field....because of the job issue.

BTW.....I would do it all over again without a second thought.