AP All State Team

jckicker

We go through this every year about the AP and the voting. I wish this whole thing would be taken a little more serious by the voters. This is hugh for these kids. A kid is a top five finalist for Mr. Football and does not even make honorable mention. That has got to be very embarrasing for the AP voters. The AP voters need to somehow get together and talk about this stuff. I understand we are all busy but this is hugh to these kids.

Lets get organized for next year so we don't have to here about these oversights. Just food for thought.

If I'm wrong about this one please accept my appology but I really think it is the write thing to do. Get organized.

Please see post #47 for an explanation!!!! It is not the voters' fault so much as their bosses. Unless you want to help pay for overtime for the voters, it is what it is! Money dictates it, good, bad or indifferent.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all who even got NOMINATED!!!! It is an honor to have been able to watch a few of these kids personally.AS ALWAYS THERE ARE SEVERAL OMISSIONS of worthy players throughout the state.I wished football was taken as seriously as basketball by the eligible voters!Iwished PLAYERS COULD VOTE!What better judge of talent is better than your peers!! :ylsuper:

Then pay the voters the overtime it would take to do the research to compile an honest ballot. Unless you're willing to do this, it is what it is.

Congratulations to all who made the list. One question of mine is how did Lexington Catholics kicker make second team over Roch from Covington Catholic who made third team. Does anybody else who was at the CovCath v Lex Cath game agree that Roch should have been ahead of him???

I stand corrected. Either way, I like his family, and I like the way he runs the ball. :thumb:

Frances

I agree Frances....Nice to see Junebug's boy getting some recognition.

I believe you said you were shocked that Kasey didnt make the Third Team, what about Sargent from Boyd being overlooked. Just wondering, not stating he was better.

Sargent ought to be used to being overlooked, he was overlooked by Dane Damron every game :mad:

Congratulations to all the JC, Ashland and Russell players that made the All-State Teams.

Hey NHS big daddy...Whats wrong with Smith from NCC? I was surprised to not see names such as Ellison, Diehl and Canafax at least make honorable mention....Congrats to all!!

Nothin is wrong with him he should be on there somewhere but not first team. If you think he is better than Corey Peters and Aundre Henderson then your obviously a homer. Those two have big time D1 offers and are some of the best players in the nation at their position.

Please read post #47, as it explains much of the early part of your post.

On your last sentence, eligible voters are restricted to AP news service subscribers. That limits the pool to (mostly) daily newspapers (of which there are only a handful in the state), as well as a handful of radio stations and TV stations that subscribe to the AP news service. This service costs money, and most small newspapers elect to spend their limited resources elsewhere.

If there are only a handful of eligible voters, who are not familar with all the nominees, then why have this team?

I think Danville's Darius Baughman should have made the 1st Team All-State. I should back it up with his stats all pupose 1000 yds and 28 td's and Class-A Player of the Year now tell me if thats not good enough.

If there are only a handful of eligible voters, who are not familar with all the nominees, then why have this team?

That is the key question, and I don't have an answer. The AP office for Kentucky is in Louisville. Perhaps you should call and ask whoever oversees sports there.

I agree, Ben is a great shut down DB, but he only played against 2 of the WR's listed and 1 had a 100 yard night- he didn't have him that night though. Wes is a great kid and is a shame he has been left off, but I also think some of the other receivers listed are much better than Burbage- Wes for 1-

That's your opinion and you are entitled too it. Ben Revere is as good as I've seen in High School. I think the opponents at Highlands, Cov Cath, Rockcastle, Lexington Christian, Scott Co and Bowling Green could testify what an impact he had against them. When you can totally take away a teams best WR 1 on 1 all night you can do a lot of things on defense like play cover 0 and 1. He never had help this year becasue he never needed it! He is 5'8 and held two 6'4 kids too ZERO catches! He manned up on Guduli who is a BIG kid and held him to one catch. Too me he was the key in that game.

If there are two better than Burbage and Caldwell then I'd love to see them. They both had over 50 catches. They both had over 1,000 yards. Caldwell led the state in Touchdown Receptions and Burbage was 2 punt returns from the all time state record. (He had several called back or would have broken it). Wes was over the 100 yard mark vs the #1 defense in the state and Burbage averaged over 20 yards a catch against them. I saw A LOT of teams play this year and I didn't see anybody better than those two.

I would have thought the same, and maybe even a Paintsville player at least honorable mention. I look at this team, some belong some doesn't. I personally feel Pugh from Paintsville or even Freno for that matter were better DB's than a sophomore who made it from the same district off of a team that was a #4 seed. Guess our teams didn't have a promoter voting.

Paintsville had a teriffic season, but I agree with this post, which could have been considered when voting:

*****Originally Posted by Xman85

1. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and sit their star...limiting stats?

2. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and play their star..padding stats?

3. Did the team have a stellar defense..and the offense always got a short field...limiting yards?

4. Competition...weak?....easier to shine.....strong?.....tougher to shine

5. Did the coach run a balanced attack?...star now has to share touches?

6. Did the coach just feed his stud?.....star gets all the touches?

7. RB's..did the coach use his star RB on a lot goal-line situations?....hurting Yards per carry average but padding TDs?

8. And the biggest one of all...How good was his O-Line? Big holes to run through and lots of time to pass to a receiver can make an average RB or QB look stellar.

There is nothing like watching a player in person on several occassions....that's why colleges and Pros use scouts.