Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AP All State Team

Featured Replies

I think once you get past a writer's 'beat,' it comes down to name power.

 

I have to agree with you 100% on this. And then those writers depend on stats which can be very deceiving especially when trying to compare say RBs and QBs.

 

1. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and sit their star...limiting stats?

2. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and play their star..padding stats?

3. Did the team have a stellar defense..and the offense always got a short field...limiting yards?

4. Competition...weak?....easier to shine.....strong?.....tougher to shine

5. Did the coach run a balanced attack?...star now has to share touches?

6. Did the coach just feed his stud?.....star gets all the touches?

7. RB's..did the coach use his star RB on a lot goal-line situations?....hurting Yards per carry average but padding TDs?

8. And the biggest one of all...How good was his O-Line? Big holes to run through and lots of time to pass to a receiver can make an average RB or QB look stellar.

 

There is nothing like watching a player in person on several occassions....that's why colleges and Pros use scouts.

  • Replies 125
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with you 100% on this. And then those writers depend on stats which can be very deceiving especially when trying to compare say RBs and QBs.

 

1. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and sit their star...limiting stats?

2. Did the team have a lot of blowouts and play their star..padding stats?

3. Did the team have a stellar defense..and the offense always got a short field...limiting yards?

4. Competition...weak?....easier to shine.....strong?.....tougher to shine

5. Did the coach run a balanced attack?...star now has to share touches?

6. Did the coach just feed his stud?.....star gets all the touches?

7. RB's..did the coach use his star RB on a lot goal-line situations?....hurting Yards per carry average but padding TDs?

8. And the biggest one of all...How good was his O-Line? Big holes to run through and lots of time to pass to a receiver can make an average RB or QB look stellar.

 

There is nothing like watching a player in person on several occassions....that's why colleges and Pros use scouts.

 

 

I agree with what you are saying in terms of making an honest assessment of players. But the bottom line is this: That's a ton of research to consider when making out a ballot. And newspapers simply do not afford their voting representative that kind of clock time when deadlines loom daily. And that, moreso than simply being homers, is why you see regional biases on these teams (and in the weekly polls). Without the time to do the research, writers can only base their opinions on what they see regularly, and that is the teams they cover and their opponents. When I had a vote, I would do a lot of research, on my own time. And if I didn't have the time to do the research that week, I didn't cast a vote.

I think the choices are good ones, for the most part. I do think Drew Ellison deserved much more recognition, and I thought Neil Holland deserved at least a third team spot.

I was glad to see Eric Senn on the second team defense.

The trouble with the All State teams is there has to be a first, second, and third team. If it were up to me, I'd just list all the kids chosen as All State, and give equal recognition.

Okay, Drew Ellison is a Top 5 finalist for Mr. Football but isn't even Honorable Mention All-State. Interesting.

 

Congrats to both of CovCath's special teamers that got much deserved recognition.

 

Just a question not trying to stir the pot. Is Mr. football selected by the AP? If so how could they justify Drew Ellison a top five finalist for Mr. Football and not even being honorable mention? It is obvious they made a mistake if this is the case. Can they go back and change it? Or is it like football the call has been made and it stands. Just wondering.

I love it. Tim Dougherty makes 1st team all-state but did not make 1st team all-district.Can you feel the love.

I thought for sure that the junior LB Jordan Walters from Southwestern would at least get honorable mention. But congratualtions to all the players.

He made just about every tackle when Highlands played them.....Very good LB :thumb:

Congratulations to all the players mentioned on these lists. It is indeed a great honor to be considered one of the state's best football players!

Congratulations to Ron Blume and Blake Johnson. Would be nice to see Michael Tackett joining Blake next year as tandem linebackers. I really think that is possible.

 

Also congratulations to the Ashland, Russell, Belfry and Sheldon Clark guys who also made the team.

Chris Cessna????? He didn't play.

 

He did play. Injured in 2nd game. Played thru the first 4 games, 2 & 1/2 of which he was on a a bum knee. Still led his team in tackles for those 4 games. I was a little surprised to see him on the list having only been able to play 4 games, but he did play.

He did play. Injured in 2nd game. Played thru the first 4 games, 2 & 1/2 of which he was on a a bum knee. Still led his team in tackles for those 4 games. I was a little surprised to see him on the list having only been able to play 4 games, but he did play.

Is a nice player but did not play enough games to merit consideration. Alot of well deserving kids on list and alot of :eek:

I'll take Ben Revere as the top DB in the state but I was glad to see Schickel on there. I was very impressed with him!

 

I'll have to agree with you on this one Stick. Don't understand how some of these others got it over him.

Chris Cessna????? He didn't play.

 

 

:confused:

Congratulations to all the players named by AP to this team. Nonetheless, it boggles my mind that Doug Beaumont, RB/WR/DB/LB for Male, does not even make the honorable mention list. What an oversite! :rolleyes:

 

I can not believe it either, I only got to see him play one game against John hardin. Easily should have made the team!!!!

He did play. Injured in 2nd game. Played thru the first 4 games, 2 & 1/2 of which he was on a a bum knee. Still led his team in tackles for those 4 games. I was a little surprised to see him on the list having only been able to play 4 games, but he did play.

 

UK commit, why else did he make the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.