Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AP All State Team

Featured Replies

Okay, Drew Ellison is a Top 5 finalist for Mr. Football but isn't even Honorable Mention All-State. Interesting.

 

Congrats to both of CovCath's special teamers that got much deserved recognition.

  • Replies 125
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the AP All State Team about being recognized or is it about naming the best players state-wide?

 

Good question, Guru.

 

I'm not positive about the method used, but I think one of the weaknesses is that not all of the people that have the right to vote always exercise that right. If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be), the papers in Northern Kentucky do not usually do a good job of supporting the kids from the Covington area.

 

As a result, a couple of papers from an area may have a larger impact than normal, in any given year.

 

Then again, if you look back over the last 40 years, I'm sure that there have been some highly questionable hits (and misses). I think that would be expected, considering the fact that almost no one gets the opportunity to see all of the kids that should be considered for such status.

 

Frances

Okay, Drew Ellison is a Top 5 finalist for Mr. Football but isn't even Honorable Mention All-State. Interesting.

 

Congrats to both of CovCath's special teamers that got much deserved recognition.

 

That is a VERY good point! I really don't see how he didn't make it.

Interesting that 2 high D1 D-linemen were 2nd team.

 

Yeah, I thought Henderson and Peters being second team was kinda shocking and Justin Smith of Newcath was a first team selection over them. WOW

 

Glad to see Runion for the Wildcats make 3rd team. Been a lil while since they have had an all stater!

2 1st team d-linemen under 210 pounds?

Looking at some of the mistakes in class (Sophomores listed as Seniors, etc.) and size, I would take some of the heights and weights with a grain of salt - unless you personally know the kid.

 

Frances

Corey Rakes on the third team (I don't think he's a Senior, but is a Sophomore).
Corey Rakes is a senior.
Corey Rakes is a senior.

 

I stand corrected. Either way, I like his family, and I like the way he runs the ball. :thumb:

 

Frances

I thought for sure that the junior LB Jordan Walters from Southwestern would at least get honorable mention. But congratualtions to all the players.

What really shocked me was Ian Holrbook getting 2nd team all state over two Mr. Football finalits.

Im pleasantly surprised by thesr choices.

Some of it is a little crazy, but there are also some great choices.

 

I was all ready to go on a tirade about Nick Schickel from St. X not being on there, and then I saw he was first team! Excellent choice. A good job by the sportswriters to pick up on that - a kid short on talent compared to some of the very top kids, but absolutely the most fundamentally sound DB in the state and one who performed at as high a level as anyone in leading maybe the state's best secondary.

How can Neil Holland, reciever Oboro Catholic be left out. Possibly the best reciever in the state without a doubt.

Some of it is a little crazy, but there are also some great choices.

 

I was all ready to go on a tirade about Nick Schickel from St. X not being on there, and then I saw he was first team! Excellent choice. A good job by the sportswriters to pick up on that - a kid short on talent compared to some of the very top kids, but absolutely the most fundamentally sound DB in the state and one who performed at as high a level as anyone in leading maybe the state's best secondary.

I'll take Ben Revere as the top DB in the state but I was glad to see Schickel on there. I was very impressed with him!

Congratulations to those kids on the list

Chris Cessna????? He didn't play.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.