Obama Vs. Boeing

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume there are some who lack an understanding of the business world. Boeing wants to create jobs in SC to help compete on the world market, but all Obama sees is union voters and not what is best for business and our overall economic well-being.

I also noted that this came in the opinion part of the paper which means there is another side to the story. As a union employee I am not mad at Obama. Seems like he is looking out for union jobs.

It is not his job to side with one side or the other. His job is to provide an atmosphere that allows business to thrive and workers to make a choice as to whether they want union representation or not.

Rahm Emanuel was sworn in as Chicago Mayor yesterday. He took over from a man who was there for over two decades. Obama learned his politics in Chicago. These are people who like to keep their power once they have it. Laws mean nothing to them. It will be interesting to see what happens in NC as the Democratic convention nears - NC is a right to work state. The contract for the convention (illegally) requires union workers. Laws - they are for other people.

Disclosure: I'm writing these thoughts based only on the opinion presented in the link. I could possibly alter my position if I had either the documents filed to peruse, or at least an opinion presented from the other side.

First, I'm no huge fan of unions. And that's altered from my stance not so long ago of "anti-unions". I can see where unions can be beneficial even in this day and age. But...cases like this are what make me skeptical of unions. First of all, none of this would even be an issue if the unions had compromised on the strike clause. If though, this is what the membership as a whole voted, then they have no one but themselves to blame for the loss of jobs, IMO.

Second, the federal government should not be telling any business where they have to do business. If Boeing wants to build in SC, then that's what they should do, as it's in the best interest of their company.

Third, this is not "Obama vs. Boeing". This is the NLRB vs. Boeing.

Forth, reading the comments under the opinion piece is like a preview of what's to come in this thread. :lol:

It is not his job to side with one side or the other. His job is to provide an atmosphere that allows business to thrive and workers to make a choice as to whether they want union representation or not.

That is a naive belief. I have every reason to believe this is a politically motivated move that favors unions just like if it were the Republicans in office then the Boeing plant would be built in SC and the anti-union people would be happy as would all of the right to work people. It is what it is. My guy is in office. What more can I say. Yay for the unions.

That is a naive belief. I have every reason to believe this is a politically motivated move that favors unions just like if it were the Republicans in office then the Boeing plant would be built in SC and the anti-union people would be happy as would all of the right to work people. It is what it is. My guy is in office. What more can I say. Yay for the unions.

I believe that a President should not take sides and that the freedom we enjoy allows workers to decide if they want to belong to a union or not. What could be more American than individuals deciding what is best for theirselves?

If they want a union to represent them , fine. Just as it is just as fine if they do not want union representation.

And just because your guy is in office does not make this right anymore than Truman's attempt to stop railroaders from striking in 1946.

I believe that a President should not take sides and that the freedom we enjoy allows workers to decide if they want to belong to a union or not. What could be more American than individuals deciding what is best for theirselves?

If they want a union to represent them , fine. Just as it is just as fine if they do not want union representation.

And just because your guy is in office does not make this right anymore than Truman's attempt to stop railroaders from striking in 1946.

I never said it was right. I said I am in a union and this appears to be supporting union workers. As he should be. I seem to recall a majority of Democrats being pro union and rallying the support of the unions to get them to go vote for Obama. Being that I am in a union and this is supporting unions what do you honestly expect me to say? No? Go to the right to work state? Right.....the same way you say this gets rid of jobs to those who choose not to be in a union right to work states are taking jobs away from people in unions. Like I said..... it is what it is.

You do realize that opening this plant would not have cost any union lemmings their jobs in Washington correct? Boeing has already built the plant in SC and would have been adding to the workforce. Instead the NLRB of the Obama administration has decided that they should dictate where a company decides to open a new plant. It's actions like this that make me understand why companies want to move off shore.

You also realize that 1000 people that have already been hired in SC are going to now lose their jobs just to keep the union lords happy correct?

If that's really what unions stand for then my opinion of them may have been off base before. They are WORSE then I thought.

Edited by All Tell

Tell that to the people that have already been hired in SC that stand to lose their jobs if this travesty goes through.

You do realize that opening this plant would not have cost any union lemmings their jobs in Washington correct? Boeing has already built the plant in SC and would have been adding to the workforce. Instead the NLRB of the Obama administration has decided that they should dictate where a company decides to open a new plant. It's actions like this that make me understand why companies want to move off shore.

You also realize that 1000 people that have already been hired in SC are going to now lose their jobs just to keep the union lords happy correct?

If that's really what unions stand for then my opinion of them may have been off base before. They are WORSE then I thought.

Were the 1,000 hired off of the street? Seems like a large majority would currently have a job before being hired by Boeing. The plant is still under construction so how many have actually been in that plant working before they lost that job? A solid answer on that would make it easier to develop a perspective. I have a hard time believing 1,000 people were hired off of the street to work in a factory that is still under construction.

Companies want to move offshore because everything is cheaper offshore. Payroll is cheaper and so is importing the product. Millions of dollars can be saved yearly on those two factors alone. Don't try to blame the unions for that.

I also realize that it is in the hands of the Supreme Court now so if the Supreme Court rules that Boeing goes to Washington whose fault will it be then?

You are already anti-union. Don't act like something can actually change that line of thinking. You have made it clear that you would never side with unions. I can't imagine you actually having a worse opinion of unions than what you already have.

Tell that to the people that have already been hired in SC that stand to lose their jobs if this travesty goes through.

It is what it is. I am still proud to be in a union and always will be.

I think it is kind of funny that you support the right to work cause. That's the ticket. Allow companies to hire and fire as they choose whether it is fair or not. Shortchange employees with their healthcare and other various benefits. Complete and total lack of job protection. Yeah, right to work is the way to go. Ask the 50 non union employees at my factory how that worked out for them when it came time to lay off company and union employees three years ago. All the union employees are back at the plant now. None of the company ones are though. Oh yeah, right to work is the way to go.