Obama Vs. Boeing

Who's to say that if business gets really bad for Toyota that Georgetown wouldn't close and a plant would open in another country? That is definitely possible.

Who's to say monkeys won't fly out of my butt someday. My point is just about anything's possible but you can't prove a point on "it could happen".

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that were true on manufacturing would be left in this country. Toyota would have opened in Mexico instead of Georgetown.

Goodness gracious. To suggest that companies don't look for the least possible wages they can pay somebody is just silly. The located in G'town b/c they received a lot of incentives that they believed could offset the cost of the wages they would pay. They also hire a lot of people through a temp agency which keeps them from having to pay benefits (a backdoor wage). There are also other factors they consider, not just wages, but they do pay the lowest they can afford to pay.

Who's to say monkeys won't fly out of my butt someday. My point is just about anything's possible but you can't prove a point on "it could happen".

:lol::lol:

Let me rephrase. Many industrial plants have indeed left the US in search of cheaper wages and will continue to. That is the one thing my plant worries about because it is definitely better for business to move our plant to Asia. When the day comes that the powers that be decide that Harrodsburg is too expensive to keep open then a replica plant will pop up in Asia. I am simply saying things like this happen all of the time and Toyota is not exempt. I think Toyota has a better chance of moving to Mexico than monkeys flying out of your butt though. :lol:

Regardless of what this is in response to, it has to be one of the 5 greatest responses in BGP history. :lol: :lol: Well done sir. :clap:

Goodness gracious. To suggest that companies don't look for the least possible wages they can pay somebody is just silly. The located in G'town b/c they received a lot of incentives that they believed could offset the cost of the wages they would pay. They also hire a lot of people through a temp agency which keeps them from having to pay benefits (a backdoor wage). There are also other factors they consider, not just wages, but they do pay the lowest they can afford to pay.

My point is wages aren't the only factor. They have to find whatever location gives them the best bottom line. The reason they hire through temp services isn't to keep from paying benefits, at least it isn't for the Princeton, IN location. It's because their turn over was so high it was costing them too much money. At the Princeton location they either hire you full time after 2 years or replace you with another temp.

Regardless of what this is in response to, it has to be one of the 5 greatest responses in BGP history. :lol: :lol: Well done sir. :clap:

It was directed to me and I had to laugh as well. :lol::lol:

Well done, indeed.

I'm glad you guys liked it. Seemed like it was getting too serious in here.

Pride, I definitely agree that it's always a possibility any manufacturer will pack up and leave for cheaper wages if it makes sense for them to do so. I will say that China is not as attractive as it once was. I believe you will see a place like Vietnam be the next China. Most counties like that have a long way to go with infastructure but with the exchange rate tanking and chinesse workers starting to look for more pay and better working conditions China might not be the best place to go. Also some are getting tired of the unlevel playing field in China's favor and starting to put tariffs on Chinesse goods.

I'm glad you guys liked it. Seemed like it was getting too serious in here.

Pride, I definitely agree that it's always a possibility any manufacturer will pack up and leave for cheaper wages if it makes sense for them to do so. I will say that China is not as attractive as it once was. I believe you will see a place like Vietnam be the next China. Most counties like that have a long way to go with infastructure but with the exchange rate tanking and chinesse workers starting to look for more pay and better working conditions China might not be the best place to go. Also some are getting tired of the unlevel playing field in China's favor and starting to put tariffs on Chinesse goods.

We are currently expanding to China and a lot of us are scared to death because of their trade laws over there. Theoretically they can learn our technology and start up their own Corning and do away with us.

Note: I always try hard to never get too serious on here. I love a mature conversation and I love a loose conversation. A good balance of both is what I like the best and strive to always have. Makes it easier to keep an open mind.

We are currently expanding to China and a lot of us are scared to death because of their trade laws over there. Theoretically they can learn our technology and start up their own Corning and do away with us.

Note: I always try hard to never get too serious on here. I love a mature conversation and I love a loose conversation. A good balance of both is what I like the best and strive to always have. Makes it easier to keep an open mind.

Mature and loose is always a good combination.

On the first part you are correct. However just learning the technology usually isn't enough. Most Chinesse factories that do business here have an American counterpart that handles this end. Also most Chinesse business men know where their bread is buttered. It's not as bad as the old days when the Chinesse government owned all the factories and businessess. That's not to say you don't have reason to be worried.

The second part is a great mind set to have. I am definitely guilty of getting too serious at times and in the end it's all in fun. No reason to get that bent out of shape about any of it. I enjoy debating with guys like you that make their point and have valid reasons for having it. You don't make it personal or take cheap shots. Definitely makes for a much more pleasant discussion.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party but there are a few problems with the linked article.

The claim was brought by an independent General Counsel who is independent from the NLRB. Said counsel worked for many Rs when he was on the NLRB. GC has final say - not the NLRB.

The complaint did not ask that Boeing not be allowed to move to South Carolina. It said Boeing was free to move anywhere as long as it did not violate labor laws." http://www.scribd.com/doc/53489994/NLRB-Boeing-Complaint paragraph 13. These Federal labor laws have been in place since the 30s. According to comments made by execs at Boeing many believe these long-standing Federal labor laws have been broken.

So what's the issue?

Edited by Clyde

The only comments made by Boeing was that the company could not survive any more work stoppages due to striking union employees... No one in Washington will lose any jobs. In fact Boeing has added 3000 more jobs in Washington.. Obama has no right to tell anyone where or where they can't build a new plant.. Just another attack on the free market... South Carolina Governor...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703778104576287290266016016.html

The only comments made by Boeing was that the company could not survive any more work stoppages due to striking union employees... No one in Washington will lose any jobs. In fact Boeing has added 3000 more jobs in Washington.. Obama has no right to tell anyone where or where they can't build a new plant.. Just another attack on the free market... South Carolina Governor...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703778104576287290266016016.html

But Obama did not tell anyone anything.