Albert Pujols to 3rd base

What was the move?

Pete Rose moved to third...it was Sparky's idea though, not Pete's and it ignited the offense. The move was intended to free up more at-bats for another players (can't remember his name) but George Foster was actually the one who benefited from the extra playing time in the outfield. Owners were very weary of this move, but Sparky did it anyway.

A key move which eventually lead to the Big Red Machine winning the '75 World Series, and repeating in '76.

Pete Rose moved to third...it was Sparky's idea though, not Pete's and it ignited the offense. The move was intended to free up more at-bats for another players (can't remember his name) but George Foster was actually the one who benefited from the extra playing time in the outfield. Owners were very weary of this move, but Sparky did it anyway.

A key move which eventually lead to the Big Red Machine winning the '75 World Series, and repeating in '76.

Here

http://reds.enquirer.com/bigred/bigred2.html

Yes, I'd say they were exhausted over it all.

It's tough not to like Pujols. Then again, as long as the "Birds on the bat" are on his chest it isn't THAT tough.

:lol: I know what you mean. Pujos is the only one I "halfway" like on that team. I can't really like him just bc of the reason you stated.

Actually, being a U.K. fan, despizing a team wearing red and black called the Cardinals is very easy to do.

Could this make him more likely to earn that big contract after the year with a team that may be set at first but could use a 3rd basemen? He could be even more valuable in the AL being able to play 1B, 3B and DH...A team that comes to mind is the Tigers Pujols at third and Cabrera at first...Could the Yankees move A Rod back to short in order to bring in Pujols, highly unlikely but a thought...

A-Rod can't play short anymore. That's out of the question, IMO.
If not for the hip injury, he may still be able to play short. I've always felt the Yankees would have been better off with Rodriguez at shortstop and Jeter in center.

The move stemmed from Sparky's dislike of the starting third baseman John Vukovich. He was so bad that Sparky once pinch hit for Him in the 1st or 2nd inning in LA. Shortly after that the move was made.

The move stemmed from Sparky's dislike of the starting third baseman John Vukovich. He was so bad that Sparky once pinch hit for Him in the 1st or 2nd inning in LA. Shortly after that the move was made.

Yup...read all about it and the stuff you quoted in the book "The Machine". A great read for a younger Reds fan like myself who didn't have the opportunity to watch the Big Red Machine play in person.