It Gets Better Commercial

Plato

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those objecting still believe the misnomer that kids can be turned or influenced to be gay. I personally reject that notion as I believe people are born with their sexuality ingrained in them. The objection also IMO shows that those objecting feel that there is something wrong with gay people and thus kids shouldn't be exposed them especially using a popular Disney character. I disagree and reject this notion as well. I don't see what the fuss is about anyway since the whole commercial was about "it get's better" and preventing teen suicide. I would hope everyone would agree that preventing suicide no matter the sexuality is a noble goal.

So the use of Woody is what makes it "promote" homosexuality?

I also think they used Woody because, as I said speculated before, this video is probably intended for ages 8-18. That age group grew up with Woody and readily recognize him.
Perhaps. And so do 3 year olds. I think it's inappropriate, bottom line.

I think those objecting still believe the misnomer that kids can be turned or influenced to be gay. I personally reject that notion as I believe people are born with their sexuality ingrained in them. The objection also IMO shows that those objecting feel that there is something wrong with gay people and thus kids shouldn't be exposed them especially using a popular Disney character. I disagree and reject this notion as well. I don't see what the fuss is about anyway since the whole commercial was about "it get's better" and preventing teen suicide. I would hope everyone would agree that preventing suicide no matter the sexuality is a noble goal.

I don't think anyone has said otherwise.

In my opinion, the use of Woody is the use of a character to which a child can relate, and probably to an extent respects. If the message Woody was imparting were "Be Gay. Be Cool", I would better understand the objection to using Woody in the commercial. But Woody's message is that it's OK to be different. Just as the commercial uses Woody, they use a very large cross-section of personalities & corporate entities to impart the same message. I think the intent was to touch everyone, regardless of their age/interests. And I feel the message was that it's NOT OK to bully, and that people who are suicidal because of bullying, lack of support, misunderstanding, should seek out help, which is what the Trevor Project exists to do...connect people in crisis...especially young gays, but not exclusively. The headlines shown at the beginning of the commercial are the ones most recently in the media, as there were a string of gay suicides a few months ago, and they were because of bullying. But the same message applies accross the board for any type of bullying.

I'll turn it around, if a 4 year old like Plato's saw this commercial with Woody, what do you suppose he'd draw from it?

I'd think he wouldn't understand a lick about the message of the commercial, just see Woody, hear "You'll be fine, partner" and then think about how much he wants to go watch Toy Story.

I'll turn it around, if a 4 year old like Plato's saw this commercial with Woody, what do you suppose he'd draw from it?

"Hey, Dad, that's Woody. Can I have a popsicle? Look, there goes a bird. Why do the days of the week all end in "day?"

That's what goes through the mind of the average 4 year old watching TV.

Let's go with what I assume is your worst case scenario: the child understands the message of the video. What then? He or she understands that life is difficult for gay adolescents and that maybe he shouldn't treat them differently so they don't think the only solution is to kill themselves?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this commercial. They only say the word "gay" one time, and most children would not be able to read nor comprehend the article titles fast enough in the beginning of the commercial. If anything, it allows younger people to realize that they need not make fun of their peers, because the ones who get made fun of are probably struggling enough in their own minds.

I'm late to the party I see.

The original point being made about using Woody in the commercial is a fair question to ask. I'm not really sure how I feel about that as my kids are all past the Toy Story age.

My initial reaction is that if my child is 4 to 8 years old and asks about the commercial that it gives me as a parent the chance to have a discussion at an age-appropriate level. That's not a bad thing. At that young of an age I'd probably just lean more towards the general concept of bullying instead of linking it to gays. That can come a few years down the road. So how is that negative? If you tell me that they are going to somehow link Woody with homosexuality then that tells me they're at the age that it's time to discuss the concept - again not a bad thing.

As to the concept of "promoting homosexuality" I find that silly. It's promoting a kinder world even if there are people you disagree with vehemently. So to me it's only promoting acceptance of "different."

For those that disagree had the commercial been about promoting tolerance of blacks would that mean they were trying to "promote black?"

Well said. Hope to see a response to this post.