Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

It Gets Better Commercial

Featured Replies

  • Author

If it had been focused on bullying in general and included gays as one group being bullied, I would have no issue. But that wasn't what I took from the commercial.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will preface this statement with a disclosure: I have gay friends, black friends, Asian friends, and of course caucasion friends.

 

I hate the word "Intolerance". I hate more, people telling me that I have to be tolerant. That is basically saying "I have to agree with everyone". I don't have to agree with everyone, I don't have to like everyone. Why do people tell me that I should? Not to make this a president issue, but, I don't like our president. It's not a racial thing, but every time some says that, some one says they are racist. They would say that if a black man said he didn't like GWB. Why is it a racial issue when a white person says they don't like Obama?

 

As for homosexuality, it's not my cup of tea, and don't want to be hit on by a gay guy, but, as I said, I have homosexual friends. Do I have to agree with the lifestyle? No, I don't. I don't have to be tolerant. I can be intolerant all I want. Just like you or others may be intolerant of my opinion on this matter or any other opinion.

 

Tolerance doesn’t require a person to agree with everyone. In the matter of opinions, being tolerant suggests that when people disagree they each have a right to hold and express those beliefs. In other words, people who express dissenting opinions or unpopular opinions should not be chastised or discriminated against simply for holding those beliefs. For instance, just because you and I disagree on this matter doesn’t mean that I think you are a terrible person, someone who needs to be silenced, or someone not worthy of equality.

 

As to the matter of race, gender, or sexuality, intolerance suggests that members of these classes of people are inferior and thus not worthy of or are incapable of attaining equal status. It suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with the “other,” that it defines them.

 

If it had been focused on bullying in general and included gays as one group being bullied, I would have no issue. But that wasn't what I took from the commercial.

 

As I understand you, you believe gays being bullied is not an issue worthy of an advertisement or is otherwise acceptable?

 

In earlier posts you said your issue with the commercial was that it was marketing or endorsing homosexuality. By these standards, it would seem any discussion of homosexuality that isn’t condemnation would be an endorsement.

  • Author
Tolerance doesn’t require a person to agree with everyone. In the matter of opinions, being tolerant suggests that when people disagree they each have a right to hold and express those beliefs. In other words, people who express dissenting opinions or unpopular opinions should not be chastised or discriminated against simply for holding those beliefs. For instance, just because you and I disagree on this matter doesn’t mean that I think you are a terrible person, someone who needs to be silenced, or someone not worthy of equality.

 

As to the matter of race, gender, or sexuality, intolerance suggests that members of these classes of people are inferior and thus not worthy of or are incapable of attaining equal status. It suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with the “other,” that it defines them.

 

 

 

As I understand you, you believe gays being bullied is not an issue worthy of an advertisement or is otherwise acceptable?

 

In earlier posts you said your issue with the commercial was that it was marketing or endorsing homosexuality. By these standards, it would seem any discussion of homosexuality that isn’t condemnation would be an endorsement.

 

This post was a bit of a stretch filled with assumptions.

I said my main issue with the commercial was that it was marketing homosexuality to children through the use of a famous cartoon character. After watching the commercial again, there is a manearly in the commercial who says listen up "little ones". I maintain that there is marketing to children within the commercial.

 

As to the bullying... I don't think bullying is ok in any situation.

Tolerance doesn’t require a person to agree with everyone. In the matter of opinions, being tolerant suggests that when people disagree they each have a right to hold and express those beliefs. In other words, people who express dissenting opinions or unpopular opinions should not be chastised or discriminated against simply for holding those beliefs. For instance, just because you and I disagree on this matter doesn’t mean that I think you are a terrible person, someone who needs to be silenced, or someone not worthy of equality.

 

As to the matter of race, gender, or sexuality, intolerance suggests that members of these classes of people are inferior and thus not worthy of or are incapable of attaining equal status. It suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with the “other,” that it defines them.

 

I agree in theory, but as soon as you or I say something that others don't like we will be accused of being "Intolerant". Just look at sportsguy's comment above.

This post was a bit of a stretch filled with assumptions.

I said my main issue with the commercial was that it was marketing homosexuality to children through the use of a famous cartoon character. After watching the commercial again, there is a manearly in the commercial who says listen up "little ones". I maintain that there is marketing to children within the commercial.

 

As to the bullying... I don't think bullying is ok in any situation.

 

I don't believe I made any assumptions. I'm trying to understand what your issue is, specifically, hence the questions. How does this commercial market homosexuality?

I agree in theory, but as soon as you or I say something that others don't like we will be accused of being "Intolerant". Just look at sportsguy's comment above.

 

All I said was after reading some comments I can see why these commercials are needed.

 

I wonder, if people who may be against the commercial found out their kids were gay ect, how would they feel then? How would they feel if their kid was bullied because of it? How would they feel if their kid committed suicide because of it?

 

The commercial only does two things, tells people who are being bullied and thinking about suicide that It Get's Better no matter who or what you are! That they should wait it out, that it is worth sticking around, that when they become an adult it will be better! It also tells others that this is a problem!

 

As far as using a cartoon character, they are not marketing/selling homosexuality, they are saying bullying is wrong, as well as letting kids know It Gets Better no matter who or what you are! Young people, including pre-teens, and some as young as 6 and 7 years old have attempted suicide. Plus, all the cartoon character says is " You'll be fine partner", how is that "marketing"?

 

As far as the part that says "Okay little ones, here is the first thing you need to know", what part of that again do people see as wrong? or the part after it that says " You are perfect and wonderful exactly as you are? You are not alone? There are a ton of us out here in this world who love you without even knowing you? The group of people yelling "It Gets Better? That is "Marketing homosexuality"?

 

If someone says they do not like black people, most people will think that is wrong. But, you can't tell people what/who to like or dislike. BUT, those people should be tolerant, and leave the people they hate/dislike alone!

Edited by SportsGuy41017

  • Author
I don't believe I made any assumptions. I'm trying to understand what your issue is, specifically, hence the questions. How does this commercial market homosexuality?

 

If you don't see marketing tactics when you watch the commercial then nothing I say is going to make you see otherwise... just as it is highly unlikely that anything anyone says will make me believe that the commercial doesn't market homosexuality.

I did find it rather odd that they used Woody, but I suppose I get it. This commercial is targeted (I would assume) at probably ages 8-18 who know they are gay or, at the very least, different.

If I didn't know any better, I'd assume Woody was a gay cartoon character. I do know that he's always chasing around Jessie, the Yodeling Cowgirl, though, so I'm not sure why they even used Woody. Why not Spongebob or something?

If you don't see marketing tactics when you watch the commercial then nothing I say is going to make you see otherwise... just as it is highly unlikely that anything anyone says will make me believe that the commercial doesn't market homosexuality.

 

I'm just trying to understand your gripe. The only things I see being marketed in the commercial are Google Chrome and the It Gets Better Project.

If you don't see marketing tactics when you watch the commercial then nothing I say is going to make you see otherwise... just as it is highly unlikely that anything anyone says will make me believe that the commercial doesn't market homosexuality.

Agree with this post totally.

If you don't see marketing tactics when you watch the commercial then nothing I say is going to make you see otherwise... just as it is highly unlikely that anything anyone says will make me believe that the commercial doesn't market homosexuality.

 

How in the world does it do that? This video was made to get kids who are on the verge of suicide to think twice. I think the intentions are pure. It's not trying to get you to use Google Chrome, watch Toy Story or buy Lady Gaga's music. It's trying to save lives.

 

Do you believe there is an issue with gay adolescents being bullied and driven to suicide?

Is it even possible to market homosexuality? To market something, aren't you trying to get someone to "buy" something?

How in the world does it do that? This video was made to get kids who are on the verge of suicide to think twice. I think the intentions are pure. It's not trying to get you to use Google Chrome, watch Toy Story or buy Lady Gaga's music. It's trying to save lives.

 

Do you believe there is an issue with gay adolescents being bullied and driven to suicide?

 

I agree. I think the use of the word market is being used wrong. Even in the correct assumption of the word market they aren't telling or asking people to be gay. It is simply an activist video about the trials and tribulations young homosexuals may go through. I understand why the use of Woody can be perceived as controversial but if a 4 year old learns tolerance of homosexuals at an early age because of it then I am all for it. The only way to break the chain of intolerance is through our kids. They learn what to tolerate and what not to tolerate from us as parents and always will.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.