It Gets Better Commercial

Plato

As long as we are splitting hairs here, I understand Plato's plight. If those of you pushing the tolerance button here can't see this has a pro-homosexuality slant then you'll not see his point. I don't think that bullying is ever ok. Bullying is not the issue for me, and obviously for Plato. But to promote homosexuality is not okay for me. And this commercial does that. It would be no different if it promoted adultery, or drunkenness, or debauchery, etc..

And if you see that as intolerance, I'd appreciate you being tolerant of my intolerance.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we are splitting hairs here, I understand Plato's plight. If those of you pushing the tolerance button here can't see this has a pro-homosexuality slant then you'll not see his point. I don't think that bullying is ever ok. Bullying is not the issue for me, and obviously for Plato. But to promote homosexuality is not okay for me. And this commercial does that. It would be no different if it promoted adultery, or drunkenness, or debauchery, etc..

And if you see that as intolerance, I'd appreciate you being tolerant of my intolerance.

Sorry, how does it promote homosexuality?

If people, especially children, were being pushed to suicide because of adultery, drunkeness or debauchery, then this may be an apples-to-apples comparison.

But you have children, some as young as 10 or 11, either contemplating, attempting or succeeding at, committing suicide. SUICIDE! That's horrible enough to think that an adult would feel so alienated that he/she would be better off dead. And these children are not just struggling with their own inner-feelings. Others notice they're different and bullying them, either by Facebook posts, verbal and/or physical abuse. Many don't feel they can talk to their parents about their feelings. Children can be terribly, TERRIBLY harsh to those they feel don't fit in for any reason. Girls do it to other girls and it's just sickening to watch.

I understand the objection to the "homosexuality" angle. But given the number of suicides recently it really does seem like a timely message, that if you're thinking of suicide, please consider the other options.

If people, especially children, were being pushed to suicide because of adultery, drunkeness or debauchery, then this may be an apples-to-apples comparison.

But you have children, some as young as 10 or 11, either contemplating, attempting or succeeding at, committing suicide. SUICIDE! That's horrible enough to think that an adult would feel so alienated that he/she would be better off dead. And these children are not just struggling with their own inner-feelings. Others notice they're different and bullying them, either by Facebook posts, verbal and/or physical abuse. Many don't feel they can talk to their parents about their feelings. Children can be terribly, TERRIBLY harsh to those they feel don't fit in for any reason. Girls do it to other girls and it's just sickening to watch.

I understand the objection to the "homosexuality" angle. But given the number of suicides recently it really does seem like a timely message, that if you're thinking of suicide, please consider the other options.

Mom, I agree with this. I agree that bullying is never ok. I agree that suicide is never ok. But I also see Plato's point, I would think you could as well.

Mom, I agree with this. I agree that bullying is never ok. I agree that suicide is never ok. But I also see Plato's point, I would think you could as well.

Well, I put the second to last sentence in my post just so everyone would be clear that I do understand that some would object to the angle of homosexuality. :lol:

You watched it and you didn't think it promoted homosexuality? Really?

Just so I understand you correctly, you believe that someone who watches this commercial is more likely to become a homosexual? Or are you saying that any mention of homosexuality must come along with condemnation?

Just so I understand you correctly, you believe that someone who watches this commercial is more likely to become a homosexual? Or are you saying that any mention of homosexuality must come along with condemnation?

I never said that. That's about as likely as you becoming a homosexual by reading this thread. I agree with Plato and the appearance of Woody in that spot. What is the point of that? Maybe you have that answer? Why Woody?

I never said that. That's about as likely as you becoming a homosexual by reading this thread. I agree with Plato and the appearance of Woody in that spot. What is the point of that? Maybe you have that answer? Why Woody?

I didn't say you said anything, I asked questions. I'm trying to understand what your complaint is.

I'm late to the party I see.

The original point being made about using Woody in the commercial is a fair question to ask. I'm not really sure how I feel about that as my kids are all past the Toy Story age.

My initial reaction is that if my child is 4 to 8 years old and asks about the commercial that it gives me as a parent the chance to have a discussion at an age-appropriate level. That's not a bad thing. At that young of an age I'd probably just lean more towards the general concept of bullying instead of linking it to gays. That can come a few years down the road. So how is that negative? If you tell me that they are going to somehow link Woody with homosexuality then that tells me they're at the age that it's time to discuss the concept - again not a bad thing.

As to the concept of "promoting homosexuality" I find that silly. It's promoting a kinder world even if there are people you disagree with vehemently. So to me it's only promoting acceptance of "different."

For those that disagree had the commercial been about promoting tolerance of blacks would that mean they were trying to "promote black?"

I tried to make my point clear. Your response to the use of Woody?

You and Plato have both said that the commercial marketed and promoted homosexuality, but taken it as self-evident saying "you watched it and didn't think it promoted homosexuality? really?" with Plato saying "if you don't see marketing tactics when you watch the commercial then nothing I say is going to make you see otherwise." Obviously, I don't understand what you all are seeing here. I've asked the same questions to both of you to try to understand what you mean by it, as marketing and promoting can only have so many meanings. You've both scoffed at the questions as though I were trying to insult you. If you don't believe this commercial makes you more likely to become a homosexual, and you don't believe any mentions of homosexuality are required to come with a condemnation, then what is this commercial doing?

As far as Woody, I could probably better answer that if I understood your complaints. There are a plethora of celebrities and companies participating in this campaign (including Pixar) and they used Woody as their representative instead of person (as no one would recognize a Pixar employee). I thought it was humorous.