It Gets Better Commercial

Plato

I was watching an NBA game with my 4 year old son the other night and this commercial comes on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPnJOZYdA

I wasn't real comfortable with the beginning of the commercial but then Woody from Toy Story appears and grabs his attention. Totally inappropriate to include a cartoon character.

I tried to find a decent article that was somewhat neutral, but all I could find were extreme one way or the other.

Your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me the commercial is more intent on promoting a "lifestyle", as opposed to a "product". Honestly, if you take away the closing screen shot of the google chrome logo...I'd guarantee that everyone who watched it would think it was all about being gay. I think there's plenty of other topics out there they could have used, that would have been less polarizing.

Seems to me the commercial is more intent on promoting a "lifestyle", as opposed to a "product". Honestly, if you take away the closing screen shot of the google chrome logo...I'd guarantee that everyone who watched it would think it was all about being gay. I think there's plenty of other topics out there they could have used, that would have been less polarizing.

Totally agree. Maybe they're finding their niche in the homosexual community. Frankly, it made me less likely to use Google Chrome.

So what specifically is the issue: a general disdain for gay people, that there shouldn't be a campaign to encourage gay youths who are suicidal or bullied, or that a company shouldn't be participating in social causes? Something else?

So what specifically is the issue: a general disdain for gay people, that there shouldn't be a campaign to encourage gay youths who are suicidal or bullied, or that a company shouldn't be participating in social causes? Something else?

I agree with you! How can anyone see this being anything other than what you mentioned? It's not "promoting" a lifestyle! Or about being gay! It's letting young gay/bi people, and other young people know that IT WILL GET BETTER! To hang in there! As well as let others know that this is a problem. Saying ALL people should be respected for who they are, and that people need to speak up against hate and intolerance no matter where they see it.

So, they should ignore the problem of suicide caused at least in part by people bullying others simply because they are gay/bi just to satisfy those who think it's polarizing? There is a word for people like that.

My main issue was the use of Woody from Toy Story. My kid loves Woody and I don't think the issue of homosexuality should be marketed to an audience as young as those who sleep holding that doll.

Are you asking me? Or just a generic question?

My main issue was the use of Woody from Toy Story. My kid loves Woody and I don't think the issue of homosexuality should be marketed to an audience as young as those who sleep holding that doll.

In my opinion, it wasn't promoting or marketing homosexuality, but tolerance.

I don't understand what you mean by it being marketed. In what way?

Are you asking me? Or just a generic question?

Anyone who has an issue with the commercial, so both.

Saying ALL people should be respected for who they are, and that people need to speak up against hate and intolerance no matter where they see it.

I will preface this statement with a disclosure: I have gay friends, black friends, Asian friends, and of course caucasion friends.

I hate the word "Intolerance". I hate more, people telling me that I have to be tolerant. That is basically saying "I have to agree with everyone". I don't have to agree with everyone, I don't have to like everyone. Why do people tell me that I should? Not to make this a president issue, but, I don't like our president. It's not a racial thing, but every time some says that, some one says they are racist. They would say that if a black man said he didn't like GWB. Why is it a racial issue when a white person says they don't like Obama?

As for homosexuality, it's not my cup of tea, and don't want to be hit on by a gay guy, but, as I said, I have homosexual friends. Do I have to agree with the lifestyle? No, I don't. I don't have to be tolerant. I can be intolerant all I want. Just like you or others may be intolerant of my opinion on this matter or any other opinion.

I will preface this statement with a disclosure: I have gay friends, black friends, Asian friends, and of course caucasion friends.

I hate the word "Intolerance". I hate more, people telling me that I have to be tolerant. That is basically saying "I have to agree with everyone". I don't have to agree with everyone, I don't have to like everyone. Why do people tell me that I should? Not to make this a president issue, but, I don't like our president. It's not a racial thing, but every time some says that, some one says they are racist. They would say that if a black man said he didn't like GWB. Why is it a racial issue when a white person says they don't like Obama?

As for homosexuality, it's not my cup of tea, and don't want to be hit on by a gay guy, but, as I said, I have homosexual friends. Do I have to agree with the lifestyle? No, I don't. I don't have to be tolerant. I can be intolerant all I want. Just like you or others may be intolerant of my opinion on this matter or any other opinion.

What he said.

Tolerance = I leave you alone to do your thing.

Acceptance = I think what you are doing is ok.

I'm still working on tolerance. Acceptance isn't going to happen. So acting like a cartoon character gives an endorsement to a gay lifestyle is over the line in my opinion. That is how I see it as a marketing commercial for homosexuality.

Tolerance = I leave you alone to do your thing.

Acceptance = I think what you are doing is ok.

I'm still working on tolerance. Acceptance isn't going to happen. So acting like a cartoon character gives an endorsement to a gay lifestyle is over the line in my opinion. That is how I see it as a marketing commercial for homosexuality.

I agree with you on the first part. And I also have things that I simply am likely going to have difficulty accepting. But I don't see it as a marketing commercial for homosexuality. I don't see it as endorsing homosexuality. However, with the number of kids being driven to suicide because of bullying, whether homosexuals or straight, I certainly do see a need to tell kids that people who are different for any reason deserve to be treated with respect. And bullying is NEVER ok, no matter what the reason.

I wonder if you'd have different feelings if they had left out any reference to homosexuality and focused on teen girls and that bullying that has lead to suicides?