Citizens Think Cincy Police Officer Murdered Their Friend

Clyde

Irrelevant. Bring the dog on the call.

They don't have enough dogs for that. So are you saying that a dog should go on every 911 call that needs police? Also what if other police officers get there, they should wait for K-9 backup? I'm sure more people don't realize it but it costs alot of money to train K-9's and seeing as how just about every police department in the tri state is having budget cuts and in alot of cases laying off people I really don't see them increasing the # of K-9 units they have right now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I'm guessing both hb20 and sf41 are in the police field. :lol:

Step dad retired from the department, also graduated from the FBI academy and had a few other commendations. Needless to say I used to watch tv and ask the same stupid questions that have been suggested in this thread(shoot them in the leg, fight them hand to hand). Needless to say it's not what an officer is taught, and it's that way for a reason. If an officer has to use deadly force it's not because of their actions or they set out to do it, it's what they were trained to do and they followed protocol. For the most part I don't think any police officer really wants to shoot any one, and in that split decision that they have to decide I'm sure most think about it ALOT after the fact, because it's actually very rare.

Ok, I literally just got about half ticked off reading some of this. ANYONE who feels that the perp with a knife could have been tazed or hit with a club no absolutely NOTHING about knife attacks. I've been through knife attack training and I will tell you as an Officer, I fear a knife attack more than a gun. You are more likely to survive that gun shot than a knife attack. The minimum reactionary gap for a knife attack is 7-10 yards and that's when you KNOW it's coming. If someone has a knife out and I pull my tazer on him, I'm very likely to get written up unless another officer already has his deadly force weapon drawn. 1 on 1, if he's got a knife you better believe I've got my gun out. A good motto a lot of officers live by is, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6." Here's a video they showed us in knife training and you better believe that a person with a knife is VERY deadly. Gun vs gun, I'm gonna win that fight cause I'm confident in my training. Ok, I'm gonna hop off my soap box now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Mc9IxpYRM&feature=related

Ok, I literally just got about half ticked off reading some of this. ANYONE who feels that the perp with a knife could have been tazed or hit with a club no absolutely NOTHING about knife attacks. I've been through knife attack training and I will tell you as an Officer, I fear a knife attack more than a gun. You are more likely to survive that gun shot than a knife attack. The minimum reactionary gap for a knife attack is 7-10 yards and that's when you KNOW it's coming. If someone has a knife out and I pull my tazer on him, I'm very likely to get written up unless another officer already has his deadly force weapon drawn. 1 on 1, if he's got a knife you better believe I've got my gun out. A good motto a lot of officers live by is, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6." Here's a video they showed us in knife training and you better believe that a person with a knife is VERY deadly. Gun vs gun, I'm gonna win that fight cause I'm confident in my training. Ok, I'm gonna hop off my soap box now!

Agreed. :thumb:

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely. I will also add that I worked in a ER for 6 plus years, and saw hospital security guards try to use tasers on patients that were extremely drunk, on drugs, and highly combative. More often than not, the tasers would have little to no effect on the patients.

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely. I will also add that I worked in a ER for 6 plus years, and saw hospital security guards try to use tasers on patients that were extremely drunk, on drugs, and highly combative. More often than not, the tasers would have little to no effect on the patients.

If you use a taser properly and you don't miss, the taser will work. The problem with using it against someone with a knife is that of you miss it might mean your stuck with a useless tool in your hand vs a knife.

Most agencies don't have dogs, and the ones that do aren't on duty 24-7 and they don't have a lot of dogs to begin with. K9's are about a 15-20k investment and most agencies don't have that kind of money. When a perp is standing there with a knife, you can't yell at the bad guy, "time-out,we gotta wait for the dog to come from the other side of town." People need to realize that the world isn't all cotton candy and rainbows. Most people never see the ugly side of the town they live in so they have no idea what all officers take care of every night because there are no press releases about cops who show up on a domestic dispute where the cop fights the perp and after getting him cuffed they find a gun and or knife on the guy. Some are meant to be cops, others are meant to call cops.

They got that one from Ice Cube.

My intent wasn't necessarily to upset anyone (OK, maybe mild burr under saddle-type stuff), but as much as anything I appreciate being more informed. In my times, I've seen some officers do some interesting stuff when dealing with perps (alleged or otherwise) that I suppose either is no longer used/encouraged, or these officers were flat-out crazy cowboys.

The best one I saw was the Georgetown PD successfully talking down a guy (right below my apartment balcony, no less :eek: ) who was wielding a knife. He had been in a fight with someone else in the complex and got cut, and was out for revenge after going home for a mongo combat knife.

The ones in Tennessee, however, were equally skillful, but in a mano-y-mano sort of way. Could be the difference in law enforcement training techniques between states.

If you use a taser properly and you don't miss, the taser will work. The problem with using it against someone with a knife is that of you miss it might mean your stuck with a useless tool in your hand vs a knife.

Do officers not carry billyclubs any more?

What kind of range do the tasers have?

Do officers not carry billyclubs any more?

What kind of range do the tasers have?

Most carry what's known as an ASP Baton. But is not an option against a knife, too risky. Perp has a knife, officer has a gun. Think of it this way...what ever you have, the officer is going one step above you. Officers do not have to play fair in a fight. They aren't, and shouldn't be expected to risk their life anymore than they already have to.

Like I've said before. It's real easy to sit here as a non law enforcement officer and say what should be done in any given situation. But it's a lot different making decisions behind the comfort of a computer vs being on the side of a road about to fight someone who wants to kill you.