Citizens Think Cincy Police Officer Murdered Their Friend

Clyde

We're talking about a knife, not a gun. I feel real solid about being able to take down most knife-wielders. So I get cut; whoopee. Guns? Different story.

It's called adrenaline, and authority. If someone come's at me with a knife, you'd better believe I'm shooting him if I have a gun and he's trying to kill me: I don't deserve to get cut, I'm not in the wrong he is. If you're a police officer why the hell should you try to take someone down using non deadly force that's attacking you with a deadly weapon? You lose your footing, slip the wrong way, misjudge his lunge and sudden'y you're dead and he's a cop killer. What are you doing then; hoping a jury finds him guilty and that he is actually arrested since you're no longer alive to do it. I'll shoot to kill and hope he survives. Center Mass all day every day in that situation.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police are trained to use whatever they need to stop the threat. A taser is an option sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's an option all the time. I don't know all of the details, but it's not always cut and dry that a taser should have been used.

That's what I was saying. The officer needs to take care of himself first, but I didn't want to overreact and say that shooting him was the only option. I'd like to see what the investigation said before I leaned one way or the other.

Police are also trained to recognize and assess threats correctly. A knife is not a big threat to an armed cop with body armor.

All Body armor isn't made to stop a knife. A knife is a deadly weapon, even if body armor stopped it. What if he missed with the taser and got stabbed? Why should he take that risk?

We're talking about a knife, not a gun. I feel real solid about being able to take down most knife-wielders. So I get cut; whoopee. Guns? Different story.

So the police should take an unnecessary risk at being injured or killed, in your opinion. You think that's what their job entails?

Come on! You going to work today? How many knife-toting, drunk robbers to you plan on encountering? How's that body armor work on a cut to the neck? Face? Thigh? What if he throws it?

Best idea yet, don't threaten cops with a knife and you won't get hurt.

I'm not taking up for the deceased. He was clearly in the wrong. However, given the Cincy police force's poor reputation and history in matters such as these, I would think the officers would be trained to explore every option short of deadly force.

And really, who throws a knife? That's movie stuff.

It's called adrenaline, and authority. If someone come's at me with a knife, you'd better believe I'm shooting him if I have a gun and he's trying to kill me: I don't deserve to get cut, I'm not in the wrong he is. If you're a police officer why the hell should you try to take someone down using non deadly force that's attacking you with a deadly weapon? You lose your footing, slip the wrong way, misjudge his lunge and sudden'y you're dead and he's a cop killer. What are you doing then; hoping a jury finds him guilty and that he is actually arrested since you're no longer alive to do it. I'll shoot to kill and hope he survives. Center Mass all day every day in that situation.

All Body armor isn't made to stop a knife. A knife is a deadly weapon, even if body armor stopped it. What if he missed with the taser and got stabbed? Why should he take that risk?

So the police should take an unnecessary risk at being injured or killed, in your opinion. You think that's what their job entails?

But it's just a knife. It's not like a knife can kill you...:idunno:

I don't think I've ever seen anything more wrong than this statement.

I like how you guys are making the police officer out to be incapable of defending himself by any other means than lethal force. Aren't they trained in H2H combat? Couldn't he have used pepper spray? How about a billy club? Apparently the guy was drunk. Surely a sober police officer can handle a drunk yayhoo with a knife, given the extensive training they must undergo. And as was noted in the article, if he was armed, why were officers close enough to him that they felt threatened? Why not shoot him in the foot or leg to immobilize him?

Shoot first and ask questions later is why the Cincy PD is not very well respected, historically. That guy should be in jail awaiting trial, not dead and the subject of one more black eye for the Cincy PD.

I like how you guys are making the police officer out to be incapable of defending himself by any other means than lethal force. Aren't they trained in H2H combat? Couldn't he have used pepper spray? How about a billy club? Apparently the guy was drunk. Surely a sober police officer can handle a drunk yayhoo with a knife, given the extensive training they must undergo. And as was noted in the article, if he was armed, why were officers close enough to him that they felt threatened? Why not shoot him in the foot or leg to immobilize him?

Shoot first and ask questions later is why the Cincy PD is not very well respected, historically. That guy should be in jail awaiting trial, not dead and the subject of one more black eye for the Cincy PD.

Police officers are trained in hand to hand combat, but they do not have to defend themselves with their hands against someone with a knife. That would be dangerous, and stupid.

Someone threatens you with a knife, which is deadly, it is absolutely wrong and irresponsible to respond with something less than what he's holding. Don't get me wrong...if the officers have lethal cover, i.e. other officers around with guns pointed at the suspect...and they can safely attempt to deploy a taser on the suspect, that's fine. But to move anywhere in the range of that weapon against someone who is obviously not afraid to use it, is exactly the opposite of what police officers are trained to do.

As for shooting him in the leg, or foot....a lot of people think that is an option and it simply is not. Police officers are not trained to do that. And have you ever tried to shoot someone who's constantly moving around? It's hard as it is, but to hit them in the leg? It's very difficult, and if you miss it will probably only escalate the situation. What if he's too close, you miss, and he stabs you?

I wasn't there, so I don't know if it went down exactly how they say it did. But just because the guy was drunk doesn't mean the police should risk getting stabbed. Doesn't matter how drunk you are, if you can swing a knife you can kill someone. One cut to the throat, and that officer could have died.

I'm not taking up for the deceased. He was clearly in the wrong. However, given the Cincy police force's poor reputation and history in matters such as these, I would think the officers would be trained to explore every option short of deadly force.

And really, who throws a knife? That's movie stuff.

I think you have been watching the movies yourself, if you think a police officer should try to fight hand vs. knife. :lol:

The suspect was using deadly force as well. Also the first thing you should do is NOT underestimate the guy that's coming at you with a knife, the officer doesn't know what kind of fighting/training the guy he's going up against. Do you have a problem with police authority?