Best NBA players ?

:thumb: Duncan is great! I know what you mean, he definately belongs amoung the very best.

Pistol Pete is imo one of the very best/elie college players ever. Maravich was imo more known for his college carrer than pro. He still was a very good pro.

He was named in the NBA top 50. Scored 40+ over 30 times. 50+ a handful. High game was 68. Avg 24.4 for career plus over 5 apg. Lead the league in scoring once with 31.1. I think his injury hampered his career more than some remember.

Listing them in order for me is next to impossible but I will try.

COACH: Red Auerbach

M. Jordan

W. Chamberelin

L. Bird

B. Russell

M. Johnson

K,A, Jabbar

E. Hayes

K. Bryant

J. Havlicek

K. Malone

Like I said, its impossible for me, I could do it over and have a compltely different order. Except for Jordan, he was the best.

No Oscar?

What's the take on Pete Maravich?

Most underrated player in NBA history IMO. Had he played for a winner and not have had the injury problems I think he'd be considered a top 15-20 player all-time. Had to be one of the best 10 or so basketball players of all-time when skill and talent are all that is looked at IMO.

Most underrated player in NBA history IMO. Had he played for a winner and not have had the injury problems I think he'd be considered a top 15-20 player all-time. Had to be one of the best 10 or so basketball players of all-time when skill and talent are all that is looked at IMO.

I go with Dominique Wilkins for most underrated of all time- I think people at least bring Pete up on occasion. Folks are talking about the best they ever saw and they mention guys from that era and forget Nique- he was incredible!

Honorable mention to Clyde Drexler. Being a 2 in Jordan's era will always cause folks to forget him, but he was a stud and helped take that second Rockets team to a ring when no one had them winning it prior to the playoffs beginning.

This leads me to my next honorable mention guy- Hakeem Olajuwon. I saw someone threw him on their list, but he may be the most skilled big man in his era- an era that included Patrick Ewing and David Robinson. The Dream gets overlooked as time goes by, but he was the best player in the league when Jordan tinkered with baseball, IMO.

I go with Dominique Wilkins for most underrated of all time- I think people at least bring Pete up on occasion. Folks are talking about the best they ever saw and they mention guys from that era and forget Nique- he was incredible!

Honorable mention to Clyde Drexler. Being a 2 in Jordan's era will always cause folks to forget him, but he was a stud and helped take that second Rockets team to a ring when no one had them winning it prior to the playoffs beginning.

This leads me to my next honorable mention guy- Hakeem Olajuwon. I saw someone threw him on their list, but he may be the most skilled big man in his era- an era that included Patrick Ewing and David Robinson. The Dream gets overlooked as time goes by, but he was the best player in the league when Jordan tinkered with baseball, IMO.

I could see that. Going off the ESPN classic games I've saw (about all I have to go on) I've always thought Wilkins was overrated. Drexler as well from what I can remember.

I definitely feel you on Hakeem, though I think he's starting to get more of his due. It always seemed to me that Robinson, Ewing and even Mourning were more hyped during the mid to late 90s, but then again I was a kid.

I wasn't a Jordan fan growing up and still don't love the guy, but I recognize he is unquestionably the GOAT. He almost single handily changed the sport of basketball forever. If not for MJ and the original Dream Team there would not have been the influx of foreign talent we see now. He sparked the game in places throughout the globe in a world that is dominated by the love of futbol. He had the numbers, he had the moments, he had the rings. Can't deny him. GOAT

My favorite player growing up and player I thought had more promise than almost anybody I have seen in my lifetime was Penny Hardaway. Love Penny, absolutely loved him. All NBA First team three out of the first five years he was in the league, 2nd team one year I believe, four All-Star games, couple All-Star game starts. Along with Shaq got to the Finals during the Jordan retirement. Was so sad to see him get cut down in his prime like that, just really never came back from the injury. I always wonder what Penny would have done if he would have been healthy like some of these guys for his career. You got to think he came in the league around the same time as Juwan Howard and hes still playing. Penny got four or five years and what he done in those years was excellent production, when you can argue most guys don't hit peak numbers until years 6-9 in the league. Could dish, dunk, and score, not to mention play defense. He was the total package and he was my favorite of all time. Came from nothing and accomplished big things, have to support a guy like that. Grant Hill was another guy who was primed to do huge things until injuries took him off track. As bad as I hate to admit that.

Although in no way can he even be in the discussion for best ever, just sharing who I enjoyed watching the most growing up and why it wasn't Jordan.

Aside from Jordan if I had to give a top five or ten I'd throw out

Jordan

Magic

Bird

Wilt

Pistol

Oscar

Jabar/Lew Alcindor

Russell

Shaq

Hakeem

Dominique

Clyde

Archibald

Kobe

Lebron

Malone

West

Erving

Stockton

I could see that. Going off the ESPN classic games I've saw (about all I have to go on) I've always thought Wilkins was overrated. Drexler as well from what I can remember.

I definitely feel you on Hakeem, though I think he's starting to get more of his due. It always seemed to me that Robinson, Ewing and even Mourning were more hyped during the mid to late 90s, but then again I was a kid.

He never had the pieces around him to beat the loaded Celtics, Pistons and Bulls teams that the Hawks always seemed to run into. He was an incredible scorer and a solid rebounder from the small forward position.

Highlights:

1983 NBA All-Rookie Team

2 NBA Slam Dunk Contest championship (1985, 1990)

9 NBA All-Star Games (1986-94)

1 NBA scoring championipss 1986

1 All NBA First Teams selection

4 All NBA Second Teams selection

2 All NBA Third Teams selection

1994 FIBA World Championship Gold Medal 1994

1996 Greek Cup Champion

1996 Greek Cup Greek Cup MVP

1996 Euroleague Champion

1996 Euroleague Finals Most Valuable Player Award

Career NBA statistics:

Points 26,668 (24.8 ppg)

Rebound 7,167 (7.6 rpg)

Assists 2,677 (2.5 apg)

^Grant Hill could have been in the discussion for top 15-20 all-time had he not got hurt IMO. Second year in the league he put in over 20 PPG, just under 10 boards, and 7 APG. He put up similar numbers in his next 4 full seasons, plus the year with the lockout. One of the most talented all around players I ever watched, I feel awful when I think about how his career was really taken from him.

I know he might not deserve it numbers wise but I hope Hill gets in the Hall of Fame.

He never had the pieces around him to beat the loaded Celtics, Pistons and Bulls teams that the Hawks always seemed to run into. He was an incredible scorer and a solid rebounder from the small forward position.

Highlights:

1983 NBA All-Rookie Team

2 NBA Slam Dunk Contest championship (1985, 1990)

9 NBA All-Star Games (1986-94)

1 NBA scoring championipss 1986

1 All NBA First Teams selection

4 All NBA Second Teams selection

2 All NBA Third Teams selection

1994 FIBA World Championship Gold Medal 1994

1996 Greek Cup Champion

1996 Greek Cup Greek Cup MVP

1996 Euroleague Champion

1996 Euroleague Finals Most Valuable Player Award

Career NBA statistics:

Points 26,668 (24.8 ppg)

Rebound 7,167 (7.6 rpg)

Assists 2,677 (2.5 apg)

I know his numbers. I just think he was more hype than substance, or that's how it always seemed to me. For me he's a top 30 guy probably, I couldn't go much higher. JMO

BTW I love Reggie Miller. I really overrate him. He was the most clutch player I ever saw when it came to making shots, MJ included. He's a top 50 all-time guy, probably higher in my book.

It's not the popular opinion but I'd take him over Ray Allen each and every day of the week.

I know his numbers. I just think he was more hype than substance, or that's how it always seemed to me. For me he's a top 30 guy probably, I couldn't go much higher. JMO

Okay- that would be about where I have him. He did not make the original Dream Team or the NBA top 50 team, I believe. I thought those were travesties of NBA justice!

BTW I love Reggie Miller. I really overrate him. He was the most clutch player I ever saw when it came to making shots, MJ included. He's a top 50 all-time guy, probably higher in my book.

It's not the popular opinion but I'd take him over Ray Allen each and every day of the week.

I think I agree there.

Since I don't remember the 90s too awful much and don't trust how I felt about those players because of my youth, my 2000s teams would look like this (tried to go with a traditional lineup as much as I could):

1st Team- Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal

2nd Team- Jason Kidd, DWayne Wade, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

3rd Team- Steve Nash, Tracy McGrady, Pau Gasol, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire

I hate leaving CP3 off I think he's better than Pau, Melo or Amare for his career, but he just didn't fit with the way I was doing my teams. Does this look about right to you guys?