Why does Calhoun get a pass and Calipari can't catch a break?

Original Rookie

If he had to vacate games does it matter how far he went?

Sure it does. People remember final four teams and they remember when there's maybe 10 who have had to vacate and one coach has two of them. It's just the nature of people to remember that coach and give him a harder time than another coach.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's not a coach in the country that wouldn't have played Derrick Rose after he was ruled eligible to play. The NCAA was wrong to vacate Memphis' Final Four and wins that season IMO. They handled the Rose case like someone who played a wrong card in a poker game and then wanted to take it back. It's not suppose to work that way.
Absolutely ... Memphis was screwed in that case.

Sure it does. People remember final four teams and they remember when there's maybe 10 who have had to vacate and one coach has two of them. It's just the nature of people to remember that coach and give him a harder time than another coach.

Replace the word "people" with "media" and I'll agree even more. The media drives this negativity. They feed off of it.

A feel good story lasts until everybody feels good. A negative story lasts forever.

Did he vacate a final 4? Or two for that matter?

It tends to get more notice at that high level.

Does it matter if they vacate a Final Four or NCAA tourney games at that point? Which coach was implicated as part of the situation and which one was not? It is what it is. One has never been named as a knowing entity by the NCAA and catches the crap for it. One has been caught more than once and is treated like he should have been a guest at the last supper........

Maybe because Cal is at Kentucky & UK has went from the NIT to the Final Four in 2 seasons, and really is set to be a major player for the National Championship for the forseeable future? It's new, Cal is a much more polarizing figure than Calhoun is. Cal talks to the media, Calhoun is an old grump. I think that makes Cal seem slimey, and makes Calhoun look like less of a cheater. Not fair, but it is what it is. I'm more than happy with Cal being here, he is a great spokesman for the university and our state and that is all that matters to me.

Does it matter if they vacate a Final Four or NCAA tourney games at that point? Which coach was implicated as part of the situation and which one was not? It is what it is. One has never been named as a knowing entity by the NCAA and catches the crap for it. One has been caught more than once and is treated like he should have been a guest at the last supper........

Yes, it does matter. One is a much higher profile incident(s) so of course it's going to be discussed more. The coach is ultimately responsible for the program so in the eyes of the media it doesn't matter if he was a "knowing entity". They're still going to reem him. It makes sense why one gets a pass more than the other.

Caught is caught, no matter when it is or who gets reamed. One can be a higher profile game, but both coaches are on the same pedestal level. I will have to agree to disagree with you on this. It makes no sense why one gets a pass after being caught and one that is not caught gets the mud slinging. Try this act with your kids sometime and see how that plays out.

Caught is caught, no matter when it is or who gets reamed. One can be a higher profile game, but both coaches are on the same pedestal level. I will have to agree to disagree with you on this. It makes no sense why one gets a pass after being caught and one that is not caught gets the mud slinging. Try this act with your kids sometime and see how that plays out.

You're trying to make sense of it, I'm just answering the question posed in the thread.

I would say part of it may be Cal leaving the schools as soon as the NCAA showed up. Calhoun for better or worse when he has had NCAA trouble has stayed at UCONN. Leaving right when the NCAA shows up just doesn't look as good.

However, what Calhoun has DONE is obviously worse than anything Calipari has been even ACCUSED of. So it's baffling to me. I'm not one to defend Calipari on much ever, but Calhoun is in the list with Pearl and Tressel as straight up cheaters. Calipari at least has a case to deny knowing of the violations under his watch.

I would say part of it may be Cal leaving the schools as soon as the NCAA showed up. Calhoun for better or worse when he has had NCAA trouble has stayed at UCONN. Leaving right when the NCAA shows up just doesn't look as good.
UConn is more of a destination job ... UMass and Memphis weren't so for Calipari, especially when the Nets and Kentucky came calling.

UConn is more of a destination job ... UMass and Memphis weren't so for Calipari, especially when the Nets and Kentucky came calling.

I would credit part of UCONN being a destination job to Calhoun though, they don't have a lot of history before him.