Big Loss for NKY HS sports coverage

Does anyone remember an Enquirer reporter named Marty Keogh that had a column for Northern Kentucky called "The Sports Keyhole by Marty Keogh"? Not since Marty's column disappeared has there been a better beat writer than Ryan Ernst covering NKY sports. As the evolution of newspapers like the Enquirer continues to evolve to on line subscriptions, we have been blessed to have this young man objectively & accurately report on the best things happening in NKY sports. There's a line in the song "They paved paradise & put up a parking lot" that says you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Well, I'm sure that will be the case with Ryan. On behalf of many NKY sports fans, thank you Ryan for your accurate & unbiased reporting of NKY sports these past ten years. There are literally thousands of your articles archived forever in the scrapbooks of so many past & present NKY athletes. Best of luck to you & your family. You will be sorely missed.

Amen to that......well said! I met Ryan a couple of years ago and have communicated with him since then. He has always been very helpful and came across as a really good guy. I am disappointed he is leaving but wish him well. I've told him that in an email.

In my opinion he did a really good job for the area he had to cover. But, in today's world, there will always be people unhappy no matter.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take the people who buy the Enquire in the sw part of Boone, Grant, & Galltin and they quit buying the Enquire, I believe that the chunk of NKY subscriptions would cause distress to the Enquire. I could really care less about what you say about Grant and Gallatin Counties Lawnboy 13, I didn't think the coverage he gave was very good. This is my opinion I do not know the man that well and I hope only the best for him just did not care much for him as a reporter.

If you take the people who buy the Enquire in the sw part of Boone, Grant, & Galltin and they quit buying the Enquire, I believe that the chunk of NKY subscriptions would cause distress to the Enquire. I could really care less about what you say about Grant and Gallatin Counties Lawnboy 13, I didn't think the coverage he gave was very good. This is my opinion I do not know the man that well and I hope only the best for him just did not care much for him as a reporter.

Cheese n' crackers man, do folks in those counties even know how to read?

Listen, my comments are not ment to offend, my humor is not and will never be "politically correct". That being said I stick to my previous comment, if these schools had sports programs that were consistent winners in one or many sports or had a top athlete in a particular sport then SHAME on the papers for not reporting this. Those teams and players would deserve the recognition for their hard work and accomplishments. I think all NKY high school sports fans would want to read about these schools and players if this were true.

I think you're faulting Ernst for things that are beyond his control. He is, in fact, a good reporter. You just don't like what he reports.

I think you're faulting Ernst for things that are beyond his control. He is, in fact, a good reporter. You just don't like what he reports.

That is your opinion and I am sure you are qualified to make it, but respect my opinion when I say that he was not one of my favorite writers. You are right on one thing though it is not entirely his fault that is why I buy a Herald Leader everyday.

That is your opinion and I am sure you are qualified to make it, but respect my opinion when I say that he was not one of my favorite writers. You are right on one thing though it is not entirely his fault that is why I buy a Herald Leader everyday.

And how good is the coverage for your HS sports?

And how good is the coverage for your HS sports?
Probably better, considering that the Enquirer will NOT, I repeat, will NOT print scores from schools outside of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties. The Herald Leader will post scores from every part of the state. For those of you that keep refering to some schools not reporting scores, etc... I can verify that the Enquirer does NOT accept scores from outside the golden triangle unless those schools happened to compete against schools inside the golden triangle. Again, my beef with the Enquirer does not just center around high school coverage, as thier coverage of sports in general is lacking to say the least. There is a reason it has been known for years as "The Birdcage Liner".

Having read all of these comments, our opinions differ on this topic as they do on every other topic. Being a lover of newspapers in general, I do read the Enquirer because it's all we have. I would much rather have a Courier Journal type newspaper here but, as I said earlier I believe newspapers are soon to be a thing of the past. I miss the Marty Kehoe's, Hal McCoy's, Earl Lawsons and Pat Harmon's of the sports world.

Probably better, considering that the Enquirer will NOT, I repeat, will NOT print scores from schools outside of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties. The Herald Leader will post scores from every part of the state. For those of you that keep refering to some schools not reporting scores, etc... I can verify that the Enquirer does NOT accept scores from outside the golden triangle unless those schools happened to compete against schools inside the golden triangle. Again, my beef with the Enquirer does not just center around high school coverage, as thier coverage of sports in general is lacking to say the least. There is a reason it has been known for years as "The Birdcage Liner".

I think you will find that the papers in the center of states and state capital cities tend to be open to scores from around their state. The Enquirer is a Cincinnati paper-therefore primarily an Ohio paper. For the record they don't give much info about Cleveland or Toledo schools either-nor should they. If the Lexington Herald Leader just printed sports stories about the Fayette county schools or Fayette, Scott and Madison county schools it wouldn't make much sense.

I understand your point, but what a great opportunity for BGP! Also I was told by a reliable source that The Enquirer subscription rate is holding steady, and that did surprise me.

Having read all of these comments, our opinions differ on this topic as they do on every other topic. Being a lover of newspapers in general, I do read the Enquirer because it's all we have. I would much rather have a Courier Journal type newspaper here but, as I said earlier I believe newspapers are soon to be a thing of the past. I miss the Marty Kehoe's, Hal McCoy's, Earl Lawsons and Pat Harmon's of the sports world.

The days of the legendary newspaper sports reporter are gone, sadly, just one more casualty of the bean-counters.

then buy the Herald Leader. Its a better paper anyway

It's not like the Herald-Leader's doing any stories on the fringe-area schools either.

And just so you folks know, that box score thing is becoming a thing of the past as well. It takes up way too much space, and newsprint is expensive. Within a few years most all box scores will be online-only.

I think you will find that the papers in the center of states and state capital cities tend to be open to scores from around their state. The Enquirer is a Cincinnati paper-therefore primarily an Ohio paper. For the record they don't give much info about Cleveland or Toledo schools either-nor should they. If the Lexington Herald Leader just printed sports stories about the Fayette county schools or Fayette, Scott and Madison county schools it wouldn't make much sense.

I understand your point, but what a great opportunity for BGP! Also I was told by a reliable source that The Enquirer subscription rate is holding steady, and that did surprise me.

If you're talking about sports coverage, I think you have an idealized vision of what goes on at the H-L. Heck, coverage in general, really. The H-L no longer operates a full-blown Eastern Kentucky Bureau, and has scaled back its statehouse reporting in recent years.