What's happening at Henry County?

'ol#70

Darkhorse78.... You are clueless. Period. You can take a program to a certain level by just having good athletes come thru the program. However, if you want a championship program, the players have to pay the price from November thru July. If the players don't wanna do that, if the parents are gonna fight it, if the administration is not going to allow it, then this coach should cut his losses and go coach at a program who respects his vision to build a great program. The fact is, the coaches of the other sports should be thrilled to death that the weight program he is trying to implement will do nothing but help their programs improve as well. Join the 21st century. This is not the 1970's. Strength and speed win in every sport at every level. Again, you are just clueless.

Hahaha,Take it easy. My championship rings tell me I have a pretty good clue. PERIOD. Do you generally start a conversation by throwing out insults?? Good job! I don't disagree with a weight program...try re-reading my post, this coach will cut his own throat by trying to force kids in a CURRENT sport to attend while in season. If you READ my post you will see I am all for a strength and speed program, have implemented and run more than you can imagine. But when you READ my post you will find that if he tries to enforce his new found rule, it will be shot down quickly by the parents and admin. I have a feeling he will end up taking his "vision" elsewhere, but first he should probably develop a good reputation for working WITH others and his administration.

Edited by Ram
Rule 5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is however a dead point. It won't happen anyway. He will be told soon enough if hasn't already to knock it off. I asked Chuck Smith once, since you bring up Boyle, what the thought the 2 most important factors were in going on the run. He said coaches in the building was #1 (HC will not do that one), and the other was a good run of kids.

With that said, what will he do about staff...assuming he stays until season start?

And the fact that they absolutely outworked dang near everybody. They practiced until the job was done. The lights were on at Boyle County many times from monday-thursday. They were also able to have in class weight-lifting, which is still the case. Great points Horse!

Been another week and no sighting of the head coach. This ain't gonna work to well. Kids need to see their leader and need to know he is committed to them and the program. You can't "mail it in". Doesn't matter who you are and how many games you have won. You're either in or out. As the old sayin goes: "You're either for me or you're agin' me, and if you're agin' me you can't be for me ever agin' ".

I am a parent of a two sport kid and will tell you that my child loves both sports he plays with football being one. However, he is in that school to get an education and that is the priority that our family will focus on. Baseball and basketball are not like football only playing on Friday nights there are weeks that they play EVERY night and are not getting home from the games until 11 by the time they come home and do homework they aren't getting to bed until 1 or 2 o'clock and then a coach wants them there at 6 to lift weights he has lost his mind. I'm all about winning but where is the child going to suffer? In the classroom.

We once had a coach that told us that he was glad that our child played two sports because it gave him time to work more with some of the players that needed the extra help and he knew that on the days they weren't lifting and conditioning that he wasn't home sitting in front of the TV.

Just curious...do coaches that implement this type of weight program have kids lifting on Fridays during football season?

Regardless, I wish Henry Co continued success with their program.

I am a parent of a two sport kid and will tell you that my child loves both sports he plays with football being one. However, he is in that school to get an education and that is the priority that our family will focus on. Baseball and basketball are not like football only playing on Friday nights there are weeks that they play EVERY night and are not getting home from the games until 11 by the time they come home and do homework they aren't getting to bed until 1 or 2 o'clock and then a coach wants them there at 6 to lift weights he has lost his mind. I'm all about winning but where is the child going to suffer? In the classroom.

We once had a coach that told us that he was glad that our child played two sports because it gave him time to work more with some of the players that needed the extra help and he knew that on the days they weren't lifting and conditioning that he wasn't home sitting in front of the TV.

No one answered my question, but this response gets at the heart of my real concern. In-sport athletes (such as football and baseball) should not be required to lift weights on days that they have games (no football coach is going to require weightlifting on the day of THEIR game) and should not be required to lift (at 6 AM) the day after a game.

As to the travel issue, I know of other coaches that have had to travel after school to their new school in order to conduct weightlifting. Their isn't much difference in a coach that travels (one way) 50 miles daily to do so and one that travels 100 miles every other day to do so. Perhaps you can't be there all of the time, but it is important to be their some of the time.

For the sake of the kids and program at Henry Co, I hope that they get things worked out for the best. Many people over there have put a lot of time and hard work in over the years to lay the foundations for a strong program.