What's happening at Henry County?

'ol#70

Been fairly quiet at H.C. since the hiring of new head coach, Jason Spencer. What's shaking with him? Is he coming to weight room workouts? How many are lifting? Is he going to put on a spring practice? What about assistant coaches? Only thing going around is that he has made some a lot of requests at his first Touchdown Club meeting such as new flat screen T.V.s, double the fundraising from last year, wanting to be reimbursed for mileage each time he travels to the school, no out of pocket expense for any reason. Really? And there are others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has he won a single game yet? I didn't think so. Coming into a new situation and making numerous demands is not a good way to get people excited and in your corner. H.C. has been on the uptick for the last six years. If he handles the program right, it could be a good thing. Otherwise, not so good. Let's talk about this thing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so good things are coming down the pike Ole 70. Heard he has ruffled the feathers of the hen house. Demanding anyone, including winter and spring sport kids, must attend either a morning lift or afternoon lift everyday it's offered if they want to play. Rumor has it he has demanded a cell phone be purchased and plan paid for by boosters. Spirit packs costing a couple hundred per be purchased for each kid. Telling boosters the new jerseys purchased a year ago would not be used...going back to the jerseys with that darn Rat looking thing on them. Many demands are bing thrown out by someone who is not involving himself with the program. Wonder if he will even have a teaching position...rumor has it there will be NO job available and there won't be one created.

Hey Dark Horse. I see good news travels fast. I don't know quite what to make of this new fellow. You know the senior class this fall will have had at least 4 head coaches in just over one year. Got to be some kind of a record. How can anything be built upon like that? Expensive spirit packs, cell phones and service, new appliances, new locker room flooring, all expenses paid travel and who knows what else. Granted I am hearing this second handed but my source is very reliable. And supposedly Coach Spencer is not going to call Henry County home, choosing to live elsewhere. It gets more interesting by the day. We shall see....

The weightlifting and working out are just showing commitment to the program. You want to get better? You have to sacrifice some early mornings to get there. The other stuff is more than just a little over the top. With all the turnover in coaching it sounds like the problems run real deep. Good luck, you are going to need it.

I don't disagree Maroon, but telling kids that play other sports that are currently in-season that they better come or they won't play doesnt cut it on the 3A level. If I were the coach of an in-season sport and another coach was telling my players they had to do things other than what I told them to do, we would get nose-to-nose aweful fast! Besides, who is giong to run these 6am workouts? The new coach who shows up once a month?

I would say with the job situation and the fact that the special ed director had no idea they hired a teacher for a job that doesn't exist and doesn't look like will exist is bad sign. Will this be Ray Graham all over agian???

I don't disagree Maroon, but telling kids that play other sports that are currently in-season that they better come or they won't play doesnt cut it on the 3A level. If I were the coach of an in-season sport and another coach was telling my players they had to do things other than what I told them to do, we would get nose-to-nose aweful fast! Besides, who is giong to run these 6am workouts? The new coach who shows up once a month?

I would say with the job situation and the fact that the special ed director had no idea they hired a teacher for a job that doesn't exist and doesn't look like will exist is bad sign. Will this be Ray Graham all over agian???

Why doesn't it cut it? There is nothing wrong with making kids lift in the mornings if they are in another sport. It is what sucessful football teams do.

Why doesn't it cut it? There is nothing wrong with making kids lift in the mornings if they are in another sport. It is what sucessful football teams do.

Because they aren't in football right now, and not all successful football teams do that. Let the coach of the current sport do his job with those kids. Again, if I coached one of those kids and they were dragging butt through my practice because they had been up since 5 am to go lift weights we would have a problem. If a kid pulls a muscle or hurts his back or is injured lifting weights and I lose him for a game...it would get ugly. That's why it doesn't cut it. If he makes it voluntary I have no problem, and by KHSAA rule it must be made voluntary. He won't have a leg to stand on if he cuts a kid for not coming to morning weights during another sports season they were involved in.

On the flip side, you think a football coach would be ok with his kids being made to play pick-up basketball at 6am while in season??? Not a single coach I know would go for that.

This also isn't helping his image with admin and other coaches in the building, parents are mad, boosters are mad, admin is not happy, this won't end well.

Because they aren't in football right now. Let the coach of the current sport do his job with those kids. Again, if I coached one of those kids and they were dragging butt through my practice because they had been up since 5 am to go lift weights we would have a problem. If a kid pulls a muscle or hurts his back or is injured lifting weights and I lose him for a game...it would get ugly. That's why it doesn't cut it. If he makes it voluntary I have no problem, and by KHSAA rule it must be made voluntary. He won't have a leg to stand on if the cuts a kid for not coming to morning weights during another sports season they were involved in.

On the flip side, you think a football coach would be ok with his kids being made to play pick-up basketball at 6am while in season??? Not a single coach I know would go for that.

This also isn't helping his image with admin and other coaches in the building, parents are mad, boosters are mad, admin is not happy, this won't end well.

Perhaps parents, boosters, and administration need to take a look at what programs are doing that are wining championships. It is a common practice. Lifting helps every sport. I don't think your basketball example is the same. Also, there is no KHSAA rule forbiding mandatory lifting. Many districs have that rule, but it doesn't come from the state.

There is nothing wrong with making kids lift in the mornings if they are in another sport. It is what sucessful football teams do.

I have to disagree. Athletes should not be made to participate in football lifting while participating in another sport. I am sure most good winter sports programs already do in season weight/cross training. I also think that if kids chooses to go to both they should be allowed.

Perhaps parents, boosters, and administration need to take a look at what programs are doing that are wining championships. It is a common practice. Lifting helps every sport. I don't think your basketball example is the same.

Of course my basketball example is the same. Basketball helps all sports, change of speed, agility, eye hand cord...etc. Hey, if the football team can make it mandatory, then so can all the other sports. And in that county, those kids will choose basketball. My point is the football coach would be HOT if this were allowed. Seems like HC has won lots of games over the past couple years without that policy. TONS of state title hardware has come to many schools without this. Seems more logical to start in school weights. I've been apart of some successful programs and know MANY coaches...most don't do this. Many offer a weight session in the morning for those who CHOOSE to attend that play another sport, work in the afternoons, or have another obligation after school. This dog won't hunt in HC, and you can bet the admin will address it if they haven't already.

Of course my basketball example is the same. Basketball helps all sports, change of speed, agility, eye hand cord...etc. Hey, if the football team can make it mandatory, then so can all the other sports. And in that county, those kids will choose basketball. My point is the football coach would be HOT if this were allowed. Seems like HC has won lots of games over the past couple years without that policy. TONS of state title hardware has come to many schools without this. Seems more logical to start in school weights. I've been apart of some successful programs and know MANY coaches...most don't do this. Many offer a weight session in the morning for those who CHOOSE to attend that play another sport, work in the afternoons, or have another obligation after school. This dog won't hunt in HC, and you can bet the admin will address it if they haven't already.

I am simply saying that if the program is completely dedicated to winning a football state championship, that dog should hunt. To say basketball helps all other sports is surely in jest. There is no substitute for strength, and competing in another sport shouldn't be an excuse for the lack of it.