What's happening at Henry County?

'ol#70

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what then about the schools that are completely dedicated to winnning a state championship in all sports? It SHOULD be left up the the current sport coach to weightlift his kids...not for another coach who is not in the building, in the county, or in the same area code to decide what is best. I AGREE that all sports should lift weights, that is that coaches job. By the way speed is GREAT substitute for strength, I would trade in a few strong kids for some really fast ones!!

Henry Co. doesn't have in school weights, it would take away from their test scores.

So what then about the schools that are completely dedicated to winnning a state championship in all sports? It SHOULD be left up the the current sport coach to weightlift his kids...not for another coach who is not in the building, in the county, or in the same area code to decide what is best. I AGREE that all sports should lift weights, that is that coaches job. By the way speed is GREAT substitute for strength, I would trade in a few strong kids for some really fast ones!!

Henry Co. doesn't have in school weights, it would take away from their test scores.

I agree. That is why it is called a strength and speed program. Both should be worked on if the program is ran properly. As for speed, you will never be as fast as a team like Central. If you want to have a chance to beat them, it will be done by dominating the trenches and making your team as fast as possible. This won't happen if your kids aren't working on those skills during the winter and spring. I am yet to see a basketball or baseball program in this state dedicate to speed and weight training in the manner required for sucess on a football field.

I can think of several that are dedicated in that manner. However, i am not at Henry Co., so I am ok with whatever they do but they did match Central pretty well 2 years ago returning 2 kickoffs 80 plus yards for TD's.

We are saying the same thing, however, the dictator approach ain't gonna get it done. They will run him out...fast!

I can think of several that are dedicated in that manner. However, i am not at Henry Co., so I am ok with whatever they do but they did match Central pretty well 2 years ago returning 2 kickoffs 80 plus yards for TD's.

We are saying the same thing, however, the dictator approach ain't gonna get it done. They will run him out...fast!

Two years ago, Central didn't win state. Henry has come up fast, but they still have to get better to reach that goal. I always thought that a football coach should be able to tell a football player what he is going to do, not ask him. I don't consider that a dictator approach, I just consider it reality in most good programs. When Bob Beatty, Dale Mueller, or Larry French tell the kids or parents group that something is going to be done a certain way, it is done.

HAHAHA! This ain't Highlnds, Trinity, or Boyle...you are trying to compare apples to grapes! Those programs have had GREAT talent, PROVEN coaches, and they can do that thing that we are not allowed to mention on here.

They aren't his football players, they are basketball players and now some are baseball players and track athletes. That's my point, his authority runs out after that final game. If they don't play another sport, do what you will, if they play another sport offer them the chance to get better by coming in the morning or weekends. When you try to impose something you CANT enforce you lose all credibility. If he tries to enforce this, the 17 kids he has left will hate it, and he will kill the program. Write it down.

HAHAHA! This ain't Highlnds, Trinity, or Boyle...you are trying to compare apples to grapes! Those programs have had GREAT talent, PROVEN coaches, and they can do that thing that we are not allowed to mention on here.

They aren't his football players, they are basketball players and now some are baseball players and track athletes. That's my point, his authority runs out after that final game. If they don't play another sport, do what you will, if they play another sport offer them the chance to get better by coming in the morning or weekends. When you try to impose something you CANT enforce you lose all credibility. If he tries to enforce this, the 17 kids he has left will hate it, and he will kill the program. Write it down.

If you look at those progams and what they do as "can't be done here", then you should also include their sucess as "can't be done here." What exactly can Highlands and Boyle do that Henry can't? Is Henry not allowed to accept tuition students? It can be enforced. If the coach so chooses, he doesn't have to allow those players to participate in the sport that don't meet the requirements. Now if the administration chooses to not back his requirements, that is a different story. I would think the parents would be excited about this type of discipline.

It is however a dead point. It won't happen anyway. He will be told soon enough if hasn't already to knock it off. I asked Chuck Smith once, since you bring up Boyle, what the thought the 2 most important factors were in going on the run. He said coaches in the building was #1 (HC will not do that one), and the other was a good run of kids.

With that said, what will he do about staff...assuming he stays until season start?

It is however a dead point. It won't happen anyway. He will be told soon enough if hasn't already to knock it off. I asked Chuck Smith once, since you bring up Boyle, what the thought the 2 most important factors were in going on the run. He said coaches in the building was #1 (HC will not do that one), and the other was a good run of kids.

With that said, what will he do about staff...assuming he stays until season start?

Without coaches in the building, parents should be calling for replacements at other positions than head coach.

If you look at those progams and what they do as "can't be done here", then you should also include their sucess as "can't be done here." What exactly can Highlands and Boyle do that Henry can't? Is Henry not allowed to accept tuition students? It can be enforced. If the coach so chooses, he doesn't have to allow those players to participate in the sport that don't meet the requirements. Now if the administration chooses to not back his requirements, that is a different story. I would think the parents would be excited about this type of discipline.

What exactly is a tuition student?

This isn't the first time HC has had morning weightlifting and it's not the first time coaches have argued over what requirements are, and are not, during their respective seasons. If HC expects to have any success they better get behind their coach and sell out now. Discourse by parents and fans will not help anything and someday looking back we might see that alot af these so called hairbrain ideas weren't so bad afterall.

Darkhorse78.... You are clueless. Period. You can take a program to a certain level by just having good athletes come thru the program. However, if you want a championship program, the players have to pay the price from November thru July. If the players don't wanna do that, if the parents are gonna fight it, if the administration is not going to allow it, then this coach should cut his losses and go coach at a program who respects his vision to build a great program. The fact is, the coaches of the other sports should be thrilled to death that the weight program he is trying to implement will do nothing but help their programs improve as well. Join the 21st century. This is not the 1970's. Strentgh and speed win in every sport at every level. Again, you are just clueless.