A message for Belfry Fans

Watusi

I was disappointed last night in the actions of some of Belfry's fans in the pregame activities. Here is hoping that it was an isolated incident that will be addressed by school personnel.

If any of you young kids are reading this: It is low class to take your team flag and run down the "tunnel" of the opponent and taunt them. It is low class to stretch your own "tunnel" out to the point that it collides with the other team's "tunnel" when there is plenty of room to avoid that. And it is low class to get into a verbal confrontation with the other team's fans on the field in front of 3500 fans.

In short, act like you have been there before and represent your school and your community well. No need to cross the line into bad sportsmanship when cheering on your team. Look at the majority of Belfry fans and try an emulate them.

Be joyous in victory and gracious in defeat.

I was disappointed last night in the actions of some of Belfry's fans in the pregame activities. Here is hoping that it was an isolated incident that will be addressed by school personnel.

If any of you young kids are reading this: It is low class to take your team flag and run down the "tunnel" of the opponent and taunt them. It is low class to stretch your own "tunnel" out to the point that it collides with the other team's "tunnel" when there is plenty of room to avoid that. And it is low class to get into a verbal confrontation with the other team's fans on the field in front of 3500 fans.

In short, act like you have been there before and represent your school and your community well. No need to cross the line into bad sportsmanship when cheering on your team. Look at the majority of Belfry fans and try an emulate them.

:thumb:

I know it must have been embarrassing for Belfry fans to have witnessed that..Good post though :thumb: :thumb:

Good Post Watusi and well said, Im a huge football fan, and of course pull for hometown team the CARDS, I was very upset with the flag deal, and was 2 girl smacked in the face with the flag pole when this happen, most of Belfry fans are great only take a few to make others look bad.. great to cheer for your team but when it comes to being on feild and name calling sooooooo not right, Belfry is a class act just a few bad seeds ;)

Good Luck rest of season.

The Belfry fans are a class act as evident from last years game with Russell. I'm sure it was an isolated incident and won't happen again. I hope we will be as hospitable when you guys come to Russell as you were when we traveled to Belfry last year. It is disapointing when something like this happens. Good luck to both teams.

Good Post Watusi and well said, Im a huge football fan, and of course pull for hometown team the CARDS, I was very upset with the flag deal, and was 2 girl smacked in the face with the flag pole when this happen, most of Belfry fans are great only take a few to make others look bad.. great to cheer for your team but when it comes to being on feild and name calling sooooooo not right, Belfry is a class act just a few bad seeds ;)

Good Luck rest of season.

Trust me, I'm not justifying what happened on the field last night, but as we all know teenagers will be teenagers, and with that said, I think their were two different flags running on the field last night and the incident wasn"t onesided, it was embarrasing for both teams and their respected fans, but as for the bad seed remark everyone has them don't you agree?

Trust me, I'm not justifying what happened on the field last night, but as we all know teenagers will be teenagers, and with that said, I think their were two different flags running on the field last night and the incident wasn"t onesided, it was embarrasing for both teams and their respected fans, but as for the bad seed remark everyone has them don't you agree?

hmmmmmm sure agree everyone has bad seeds no doubt and was things went on by fans that should of NOT...but I do KNOW for a fact the SHELDON CLARK flag was ran but only on side line and around field, but does not matter ,, good LUCK to BELFRY in rest of play off :thumb:

go soooooo them what our district is about :thumb:

I really just hope that all Belfry fans show up at Russell and cheer on the Pirates. That is the reason we are there. That is reason we're called fans.

I agree Watusi, I didn't like what happened on the field during tunnel time either, just as much as I didn't like the SC flag being ran in front of our bleachers either. One doesn't excuse the other.

I also don't like the fair weather fans that come to the game just to socialize. For me, the definition of a fan (short for fanatic) is someone who comes to encourage, support, and get behind your team. That means having to get on your feet every once in awhile and showing your fan spirit. It doesn't mean buying a ticket to sit there with headphones on doing nothing but watching.

Agree or disagree, nothing will ever change my mind on this. One of the best feelings as a fan is to see everyone in the stands rise and cheer on their team and hear the roar of the crowd. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

A coach can teach football but he can't teach class.

The coach had nothing to do with the episode that is being talked about on here. It wasn't the players at all. Coach Haywood DEMANDS class from his players. This was a very few fans from both schools during warm-ups and tunnel time making bad decisions and show poor judgement as kids often do.

Good post, Toots. Especially when you consider that some of us could've seen this incident on TV, considering WYMT was covering it.

A couple of you have mentioned that the opponent's flag was ran up and down Belfry's sideline. While that is true, it is no excuse for us doing likewise. It doesn't matter what the opponent did with their flag. I didn't mention it in my original post because I was only concerned with our behavior, and as Pirate Pal said, one doesn't excuse the other.

One sign of class is when you can recognize its absence in others and go on without reciprocating.

This was an isolated (I hope) incident by teenagers. They made a poor decision by reacting to something that bothered them and it was carried too far. It was an ugly minute or two, but not the end of the world. The reason it was brought up here is in hopes they will read it and do better next time. If not, maybe somebody with some influence on them will encourage them to do so.

Well to me it is a big deal. It's a big deal because anytime anyone acts in this fashion, whether it be the fans or just the kids from the school. It's a big deal because this reflects badly on the coaches and the football team and they had nothing (hopefully) to do with it. If you have a flag you'd like to run with, then by all means run with it but keep if off my side. If you feel the need to cuss me and my team, then please do it out of my hearing. If you feel the need to hang out where my team comes out just so you can give them "what for" then please stop and think if you'd like for me and some friends to do this to you kids. If what you do to another team would make you mad if it was done to you, if what you do will give everyone a bad taste for your team then it's probably best that you not do it. We've had all of this done to our fans and team. There may have been 2,000 people on the opposite side who would never dream of doing this and only 20 who is actually doing it, but trust me when I tell you, it has left some serious bad taste in my mouth for a couple of teams and their fans that we've played. I guess I just have no time for bad sportsmanship of any kind.