Kayaking

stick1

Anybody ever been or tried? I've been thinking about trying it out this summer. I've been looking at different ones the last few weeks. Been working on getting back in shape and looks like a fun adventure and changeup to workout. We have a lake here to work out on before I'd ever hit the whitewater but have thought about going with some friends to the easy waters on the New River down the road when we feel like we are at that level.

I've rafted there and the Colorado River but never tried kayaking.

That's what I'm looking for this summer. Somewhere that has easy caps to learn on after starting in a pool/lake etc. How far is that from the Northern Ky area? Did you all just put in or pay for guides etc? Did you practice any before you went? Eventually I'd like to work up but would like to get a good solid foundation first.

I went kayaking 2-3 times last summer on the Little Miami River in Ohio. I had never been before but thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't run into any real problems. Just a nice relaxing stroll down the river. One thing I do suggest is not starting with a 15k adventure like I did. Now that was tiring.

Unless you're cabrewing. Then 15k is a breeze.

That's what I'm looking for this summer. Somewhere that has easy caps to learn on after starting in a pool/lake etc. How far is that from the Northern Ky area? Did you all just put in or pay for guides etc? Did you practice any before you went? Eventually I'd like to work up but would like to get a good solid foundation first.

From NKY where I live it was like 30-45 minutes. It was roughly $23 per person to rent the kayak, the bus trip to your starting spot, and then just the breeze down the river. We didn't have any guides. About half of the people I went with had been kayaking before but it was my first time and I had never been in a kayak much less practiced before. It was real easy to grasp.

Unless you're cabrewing. Then 15k is a breeze.

Some adult beverages were along for the trip.

You should try Elkhorn Creek in central Ky. I canoe and fish there but I have a good friend who kayak's a lot. He has a group that does Elkhorn Creek around 8 to 10 times per year. They love it. I'll check with him on some other places if that will help.

Where I live is like five minutes away from some of the best white water east of the Colorado River. If you ever get to the point that you need a challenge, I recommend you come and check it out. During the Fall Season kayakers come from all over to camp/kayak, I'm talking from California, Canada, Maine, New York, Michigan, just all over really and some even take their vacations from work just to come here and do it. I live in a small township called Elkhorn City, and it is on the Russel Fork of the Big Sandy River. The Breaks Interstate Park is just minutes away and most stay there but some stay at a campground here in Elkhorn City or in Pikeville. I know some of the locals here who are way into kayaking and who have traveled a lot of places and they say that what we have around here is really for real. I'm wanting to say its class V rapids, but I'm not totally sure.

I've worked around The Breaks some. Didn't even think about that. That's not a bad drive from me. Jvdfc let me know if you get any info. Find out if it's a good place for begginers or if it's a little more advanced. Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming.

I've worked around The Breaks some. Didn't even think about that. That's not a bad drive from me. Jvdfc let me know if you get any info. Find out if it's a good place for begginers or if it's a little more advanced. Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming.

Where do you live at stick? I know you said it was eky, but if you have worked around the Breaks I am sure it cannot be too far away. Depending on how far it really is, during season you can really get up with some guys around here who could help you along in the process, guys who won't care to help teach you and show you some things that may be helpful, especially while learning. From everything I have heard, kayaking is a process like anything else and the more you can learn/practice the better you will be and in that sport better means safer.

I'm in Lawrence Co right now. I work pharmaceutical sales and used to have Pikeville, Whitesburg and 1 Doc in Elkhorn City but I'm not in that area any more for work. Still it's not 2 hours from here.

I also have to go to Lawrence County for work every now and then so no, not too bad of a drive at all.